SportsWrath

A look at JR final draft.

BlueInCanada

Well the previous coaching and GM did have a plan to replace Eli, and that was Webb, probably one year from now. So if you draft a QB at #2 you are just replacing the future QB in most likely the same time frame. What you cannot have happen is that Webb out competes the kid you draft this year, so there is no way they let that happen.

You have Webb start then and you trade that kid for whatever you can get.

Fucking Patriots sit on QBs all the time and trade them for like candy.

If we drafted Darnold, and a year from now Webb is the starter, some team out there would easily give up a second round pick if not more for a top 5 drafted QB.

If we drafted Darnold, and a year from now Webb is the starter, some team out there would easily give up a second round pick if not more for a top 5 drafted QB.

If that's such a good thing, then why don't we cash in our #2 overall pick now for someone else's 2nd rounder next year, straight up?

Think the point went over your head but good on ya.

Nah, I got it...that'd be a silver lining in my opinion though.

If we take a QB at 2 and Webb becomes starter, draft pick can be traded. But again, that's essentially trading a 2nd overall this year for a 2nd rounder next year. It's better than nothing...and having 2 QBs can't be a bad thing...but I think getting a player that can help bridge the QB transition, be it a lineman or a RB, is the safer bet this year

Because that's not how the NFL works, if that was the case why draft Webb at all in the first place? He's just more than likely gonna sit on the bench for four years and get released, never contributing anything.

We have Eli who is probably playing his last season as a Giant, and Webb.

Why not draft a guy like Darnold so him and Webb could fight it out so see who the better player is? If you're so high on Webb then he will simply win, or he will lose out to the more NFL ready caliber player like Darnold is, giving the Giants a better chance at winning more games down the road.

Going by your words "This draft is deep with RB and OL" we could easily get player who will make an impact in the second and third rounds.

Or we could just roll into future years with no backup plan to Eli and see how well it works out, I think the Browns have done that quite a few years in a row.

While you're saying makes sense, I don't see how Darnold is clearly better than Webb.... I want a 1st rounder who will make an impact now... and that 1st rounder is not a QB... I think Nelson instantly elevates our play and so will Chubb or Barkley... The idea is to land any one of the three with the lowest pick possible...

You have a math problem.

You want to waste the 2nd overall pick and settle for a 2nd round pick as compensation?

As someone said - getting Barkley, Nelson or Chubb (in that order) at the lowest possible pick is the base strategy this year I guess.

Or maybe get Nelson and Guice OR get Barkley and that other beast of an OL - cant recall his name right now. Either way - this is a must have in this draft.

Absolutely trading a second round pick for the QB drafted #2 overall in the first round who couldn't beat out Davis Webb.

Yeah lets blindly rely on Webb, who we dont know a thing about...cause these types of QBs who fell in the draft are a shoe in... the next Tom Brady. Always good to stake your entire franchise on the likes of:

Ryan Nassib

Rhett Bhomar

Andre Woodson

Jesse Palmer

Danny Kannell

Etc.

Before you jump on me, Im not saying a 1st rounder is necessarily a lock either. Just that there is a high degree of uncertainty with our future QB situation and we dont know what we have.

By the way, watch Webbs tape, then go watch Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Goff, Wentz. Etc to make recent QBs. Heck go watch tape of Mahomes too. In a historically QB shallow draft of 2017 (that was only 2nd worst to 1996), Webb was drafted towards the end of the third round).