SportsWrath

No Positives From Bills Loss

BronxRik

Following the Giants' 21-0 loss to the Bills in Buffalo, head coach Ben McAdoo was asked if there were any positives he could glean from the experience.

"No," he said.

Next question.

His comments summed up a disappointing afternoon for a team expected to compete for the NFC East title this year. Eli Manning went 4-of-9 for 44 yards and outside of Bobby Rainey's 67-yard run, the ground game was stuck in neutral. Andre Williams carried the ball six times for 15 yards. Shane Vereen carried the ball once for -1 yards. The offense has now turned the ball over eight times in two preseason games.

The temptation to vastly overreact to the preseason is there, but the most interesting aspect of Saturday afternoon's loss was watching the way McAdoo dealt with the team and the press. This was by far his most difficult week on the job, after having to answer myriad questions about kicker Josh Brown's one-game suspension and his own previous statements on the issue. Saturday, when it came to Brown, he repeated the phrase I've said everything I have to say on the Josh Brown situation several times.

When it came to the rest of his team, he had this to say:

"I just finished talking to the team. I told them we worked too hard to put a performance like that on film. They were more physical than we were, that was obvious. We need to take a long look in the mirror and bounce back."

His reaction was an odd combination of relax it's just the preseason and these players should be ashamed of themselves. At one point during his post-game interview, after saying there were no positives and after saying the team needs to take a long look in the mirror, he added "I don't think I need to say much to the players. They have a lot of pride and I think they'll bounce back."

Sometimes it takes a while for a coach to mold into a personality that can truly lead a team. McAdoo served under two great examples -- Mike McCarthy and Tom Coughlin -- and now he has a crucial week to show how much he's learned. While it's just a preseason, these kinds of mistakes and errors can easily bleed into the regular season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000688677/article/giants-coach-mcadoo-no-positives-from-loss-to-bills

I didn't know we signed Bobby Rainy, and why is it there's always mention of the Giants "mistakes and errors"? Like the ones Coughlin was supposed to cure with his brand of discipline? Although, if they didn't write about "mistakes and errors" I guess they'd just flat out say the Giants suck. God, I just want the season to start already.

I was thinking of posting this article but I really didnt think it was much of a story.

"HC disappointed with sloppy play of team"

Shocker really.

Although the more I hear this big goof talk the less I like his style of coaching, he just seems to ho-hum about everything that's happened to far.

Then again it is preseason, just wonder if his "I'll let the players figure out what to do to" attitude is gonna hold up when the losses start rolling in.

"I just finished talking to the team. I told them we worked too hard to put a performance like that on film. They were more physical than we were, that was obvious. We need to take a long look in the mirror and bounce back."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000688677/article/giants-coach-mcadoo-no-positives-from-loss-to-bills

I didn't know we signed Bobby Rainy, and why is it there's always mention of the Giants "mistakes and errors"? Like the ones Coughlin was supposed to cure with his brand of discipline? Although, if they didn't write about "mistakes and errors" I guess they'd just flat out say the Giants suck. God, I just want the season to start already.

Doesn't Mac Know that when Rexy, the toe sucker plays the Giants in the preseason its his own personal Superbowl? of course they played them hard.

the only positive i can see is that we haven't ( as yet ) got half the bloody team on IR this preseason.

i dont really give a fuck about preseason ..........and this game wont matter at all if we somehow manage to get it together and beat Dallas in week 1

( our O line is pretty awful .......but i hope they can stay healthy because the back up O Line is a total and utter embarrassment )

the only positive i can see is that we haven't ( as yet ) got half the bloody team on IR this preseason.

i dont really give a fuck about preseason ..........and this game wont matter at all if we somehow manage to get it together and beat Dallas in week 1

( our O line is pretty awful .......but i hope they can stay healthy because the back up O Line is a total and utter embarrassment )

On that note, regarding the OL: I am not sure who made the decision that Marshall Newhouse in an acceptable starting RT, let alone backup. This guy shouldn't even be in the NFL. Might as well put Bobby Hart out there; he can't possibly do much worse.

I want to know who decided this was acceptable. The OL coach? Ben McAdoo? Was it forced by the Front Office against the protest of the coaches?

The offensive line looks atrocious, and I doubt that has it just being the preseason. Get used to a poor OL, particularly the right side, all season long.

People talk about the left side being something to build on, and if you're not interested in ever running the ball it is. But none of those three guys have shown the ability to push the pile consistently. Flowers and Richburg are both young and can develop, but I think a C+ to B- is all you'll get out of Pugh's run blocking.

I know I've said this for the past 5 years or so, but I'm going to say it again... the Giants need a mauling, road grating guard. When we needed a yard on third-and-one, you knew we could run behind Chris Snee and get it. Who do you run behind on this team?

People talk about the left side being something to build on, and if you're not interested in ever running the ball it is. But none of those three guys have shown the ability to push the pile consistently. Flowers and Richburg are both young and can develop, but I think a C+ to B- is all you'll get out of Pugh's run blocking.

I know I've said this for the past 5 years or so, but I'm going to say it again... the Giants need a mauling, road grating guard. When we needed a yard on third-and-one, you knew we could run behind Chris Snee and get it. Who do you run behind on this team?

I agree, and this is one of the main reasons Reese has to go. He's tried to draft OL with pretty high picks (Flowers, Richburg, Pugh), but thus far, they are a C+, B- caliber at best. Meanwhile, Jerry is a C, while Newhouse is an F. The sum of the giants OL has to be considered a C -. Clearly they have failed in evaluating high end OL talent in the draft.

Our downfall all year is going to be OL, and a leaky pass defense at the seems with the LBers we have. That's my take on pre-season so far. QB, WR, RB, Secondary (iffy, but should be okay), DL should all be fine. It's the other two gaping areas that keep me up at night.

Let's also not forget that TE Donnell and Tye can't block worth a damn, and this only compounds our issues at OL.

At this point why not throw LaCosse and Adams in with the ones and see what they can do?

The offensive line looks atrocious, and I doubt that has it just being the preseason. Get used to a poor OL, particularly the right side, all season long.

This.

Offensive line got no push on the right side...in fact, it caved.

I agree, and this is one of the main reasons Reese has to go. He's tried to draft OL with pretty high picks (Flowers, Richburg, Pugh), but thus far, they are a C+, B- caliber at best. Meanwhile, Jerry is a C, while Newhouse is an F. The sum of the giants OL has to be considered a C -. Clearly they have failed in evaluating high end OL talent in the draft.

Our downfall all year is going to be OL, and a leaky pass defense at the seems with the LBers we have. That's my take on pre-season so far. QB, WR, RB, Secondary (iffy, but should be okay), DL should all be fine. It's the other two gaping areas that keep me up at night.

Jerry Reese is the main reason I no longer subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket.

I think they've been tougher to find lately, since much of the college game has switched to spread or gimmicky offenses, where TE's are split out more, rather than in-line.

That is why I think we should be converting undersized offensive linemen.

At this point why not throw LaCosse and Adams in with the ones and see what they can do?

I think the coaches already know that answer, and it isn't significantly better. So do you take valuable time away from Donnell & Tye?