SportsWrath

Let the Giants Adventures at LB Begin, 2016

mastershake

Bears play a 3-4 where the emphasis is more on linebackers, while our system relies more on d-line and corners.

I'd love good linebackers too but if I had to choose where to put more money I'd go d-line every time.

That sounds good in theory, but each year they get torched by poor linebacker play. Actually, it doesn't sound good in theory, there should be no weak part of a team. And it has little to do with where the money goes. There's enough money to have a deep team at all positions. The front office house cleaning will be completed after this 7-9 ish season.

Rotating guys in and out...exactly what they do with RB

It sounds to me like one guy will get one series, another guy will get the next series with no one able to establish any kind of feel for the flow of the game. I understand calling certain guys in for situations like pass defense or blitzing but I would totally expect the middle linebacker to be on the field series after series.

It sounds to me like one guy will get one series, another guy will get the next series with no one able to establish any kind of feel for the flow of the game. I understand calling certain guys in for situations like pass defense or blitzing but I would totally expect the middle linebacker to be on the field series after series.

I interpreted it as that's what they are doing now in practice to see who comes out on top of the competition. Not how they will do it in-season.

I interpreted it as that's what they are doing now in practice to see who comes out on top of the competition. Not how they will do it in-season.

Possibly. But then why would he say he's not used to something like that...? Isn't that what every team would do in training camp/preseason? It's not like the man has ever been the unquestioned starter.

Possibly. But then why would he say he's not used to something like that...? Isn't that what every team would do in training camp/preseason? It's not like the man has ever been the unquestioned starter.

Maybe instead of rotating entire first strings second strings etc. they are rotating the linebackers differently, letting different groups play with the ones.

I don't know.

It will come down to health, but they have several good players at LB. I really like Goodson, he will be a very good player, and future stalwart at MLB. I am convinced. He has everything you want and it shows up on the field.

Casillas and Kennard are also good players. Just need to keep this group healthy.

We'll see on Goodson. I remember when we said the same thing about Philip Dillard, and also thought Clint Sintim was the second coming of LT. They're both out of the league.

Let's also not forget... Goodson is 1 of only 2 LBs drafted by Reese in the past FIVE, count it, FIVE drafts.

Consequently, our defense has gotten progressively worse in that time. Coincidence? I think not. Certainly it's not the only reason for the bad D, but it's definitely a big contributing factor.

That sounds good in theory, but each year they get torched by poor linebacker play. Actually, it doesn't sound good in theory, there should be no weak part of a team. And it has little to do with where the money goes. There's enough money to have a deep team at all positions. The front office house cleaning will be completed after this 7-9 ish season.

In reality you have weaknesses and you cover them with your strengths

We'll see on Goodson. I remember when we said the same thing about Philip Dillard, and also thought Clint Sintim was the second coming of LT. They're both out of the league.

Let's also not forget... Goodson is 1 of only 2 LBs drafted by Reese in the past FIVE, count it, FIVE drafts.

Consequently, our defense has gotten progressively worse in that time. Coincidence? I think not. Certainly it's not the only reason for the bad D, but it's definitely a big contributing factor.

Dude the conversation was never this positive about either of those players, and neither of them had the pedigree or the excellent tape that Goodson has.

I think VG was the only one overly positive on Sintim, because he was a tweeter who was mainly used as a edge rusher. Dillard most of us were just hopeful he could develop into a useful player, and maybe develop into a starting backer after a few seasons. I believe Goodson has the talent and instincts to start right away, but obviously Spags isn't going to put a rookie in that kind of leadership role before he's absolutely earned it, nor should he.

Dude the conversation was never this positive about either of those players, and neither of them had the pedigree or the excellent tape that Goodson has.

Yeah I don't recall a single poster being crazy about either Dillard or Sintim, just hoping they would develop into starting players.

They've brought a bunch of guys into camp to evaluate and compete for starting jobs, it's not the same thing.

This is a great idea for a season or two, but Reese has been doing it for what... ten? For the record, I think our defense will be in the top half of the league this year but what the fuck? Is ONE comepent linebacker too much to ask? It's always backups and has-beens.

This is a great idea for a season or two, but Reese has been doing it for what... ten? For the record, I think our defense will be in the top half of the league this year but what the fuck? Is ONE comepent linebacker too much to ask? It's always backups and has-beens.

and two super bowl wins

Always forgetting that which is most important.

This. It doesn't sound like a this your job to lose situation. It soulnds like the plan is to bring them in and out no matter how much someone may show

I'll say it again; I think Casillas - Goodson - Kennard will be a very solid LB corps. The assertion that we have zero competent LBs is nuts.

2007 and 2011 seasons... we had an epic, EPIC defensive line and pass rush, one which will probably be unrealistic to completely mimic consistently in the future. We can't count on this again.

Hence, we need to build a defense where we still try for the pass rush, but DON'T neglect everything else.

Less, are we going to ignore those SB winners who had good LBs, but only above average pass rushes, and won the SB? There's not a simple correlation between one or the other. The sum of the parts of the ENTIRE defense needs to be good. We were fortunate to have a great pass rush stack in 2007 and 2011 that the sum of the defense was great, but again, do not count on this in the future.

Two super bowl wins

Antonio Pierce, MLB -- 103 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception, 8 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble

Mathias Kiwanuka, OLB -- 46 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble

Kawika Mitchell, OLB -- 76 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 interception, 4 passes defensed, 2 forced fumbles

Reggie Torbor, OLB -- 39 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defensed

-------------
Mathias Kiwanuka, OLB -- 85 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 interception, 2 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble

Michael Boley, OLB -- 94 tackles, 1 sack, 3 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble

Jacquian Williams, OLB -- 71 tackles, 1 sacks, 5 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble

Chase Blackburn, MLB (5 games) -- 28 tackles, 1 interception, 2 passes defensed

Greg Jones, MLB -- 27 tackles

---------
2007 was definitely better because Antonio Pierce is better than anyone we've had since Jesse Armstead. And certainly better than anyone since. But 2011 was way better than anyone since and better than the current bunch.
And Vendetta is right. Tuck, JPP with 10 fingers and a good back, and the rest were a one of that will not be repeated. Plus the game has changed. It's proven now that a good QB can neutralize a good rush. You need LB's