SportsWrath

Cruz Held Out of Practice

BronxRik

Due to a tight groin

1. Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz, attempting to rediscover his game-changing form, was held out of practice Tuesday due to a tight groin, head coach Ben McAdoo said. Cruz has struggled to remain relevant in Giants camp thus far, being passed up on the depth chart by rookie Sterling Shepard.

I loved him when he played, and wish he could stay healthy, but damn.....enough already.

The McAdoo said that? Wow, that seems harsh

I don't think he said the part about being relevant still, but it's obvious that he's at best 4th or 5th on the depth chart.

Cruz is only going to be relevant in the sneaker world from here on out. Sitting out of practice today but tweeting about sneakers and Tuesday Cruzday all freaking day.

Hopefully it's all very much precautionary...but tightening up to the point that you can't practice in these reduced practices...I don't know. If he's not ready to play a full game by the last round of training camp cuts...I can't say that I want him on the team anymore.

Hopefully it's all very much precautionary...but tightening up to the point that you can't practice in these reduced practices...I don't know. If he's not ready to play a full game by the last round of training camp cuts...I can't say that I want him on the team anymore.

Considering how if we cut him this year we only get a $100,000 cap savings and $4.3 million in dead money id wait the season out before cutting him. There is no benefit to doing it now.

Roger Lewis is getting a lot of praise too in camp...not to mention we still have the PR/KR guy we signed from Dallas. I think we're okay at WR even without Cruz...bonus if Geremy Davis steps up.

I wouldn't be cutting Cruz for cap reasons...I'd cut him because he can't help the team. His roster spot is valuable, outside of salary cap.

Plus it's a lot (think I read $6M?) of dead cap space if they cut him this year. That said, if he can't play...or can't get open when he does, they might have to bite the bullet.

Davis supposedly was catching everything thrown his way last year too. I think he got buried a bit on the depth chart and struggled to break through. Hopefully he'll get more chances this year because I, for one, was fairly excited to see what he had to offer last year.

Update:

Victor Cruz's attempt to reclaim what once made him among the league's best receivers remains in a rut.
After missing the team's first preseason contest with a groin injury and being usurped on the first depth chart by rookie Sterling Shepard, Cruz's fight for his job continues to be an uphill battle. After the receiver returned to practice to participate in individual drills, Giants head coach Ben McAdoo told reporters Sunday that the receiver's groin injury is still noticeably bothering him, and he'll be re-evaluated, per Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post.

After suffering a devastating knee injury in 2014 and a rare calf injury that resulted in surgery in 2015, Cruz is again struggling to get healthy enough to make a difference for the Giants' offense. The exception is trending toward becoming the rule, though Cruz downplayed his latest hurdle last week and instead emphasized he was using past experiences to take it slow this time around.
"No, I kind of get one every camp," Cruz told reporters Tuesday. "It's just whether I play through it or it just times up on an off day or something like that. It's just a little tightness. I just have to get in the training room, ice it up and it'll be all right.
"I'm not frustrated. I just have to listen to my body and make sure I'm going about this the right way. I don't want to ignore something and then have another major setback."
McAdoo added that rookie corner Eli Apple is dealing with a muscle strain.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000685190/article/victor-cruz-groin-to-be-reevaluated

I'm wondering if he'll ever play again, honestly.

It might just be another Nicks/Smith case, the guy just wont be able to bonce back.

I said it before and I'll say it again I believe Cruz will not play a single meaningful snap this year, or contribute on any major level.

I know the Giants are holding onto hope that the stupid insane unstoppable combo of OBJ/Cruz will come to light, but I'd rather them move onto the combo of OBJ/Shepard.

It might just be another Nicks/Smith case, the guy just wont be able to bonce back.

I said it before and I'll say it again I believe Cruz will not play a single meaningful snap this year, or contribute on any major level.

I know the Giants are holding onto hope that the stupid insane unstoppable combo of OBJ/Cruz will come to light, but I'd rather them move onto the combo of OBJ/Shepard.

I think they are. While they want to give Cruz every opportunity, they're ready to move on. Shepard is listed first on the depth chart and is getting all the reps.

It's a shame, but it's also reminiscent of the days we held onto Dayne to prolong the Thunder and Lightning era. Granted Dayne just sucked and it wasn't injury related...but the outcome was the same.

I like the Giants for giving him every opportunity to come back, but if he hasn't played some significant time come final roster cuts...I think the writing is on the wall.

Considering how if we cut him this year we only get a $100,000 cap savings and $4.3 million in dead money id wait the season out before cutting him. There is no benefit to doing it now.

Unless you mean IR him again then I have to strongly disagree.

That roster spot is precious, holding Cruz on the team till week 10 last year KILLED the team IMO.

Can't waste a spot on this guy again if he can't show up strong