SportsWrath

Giants sign CB Leon Hall

Treehugger

If I read 1 year, $2 million....I'm stoked about the signing. It might take snaps away from Apple though, so that's kinda iffy to me...but I won't be upset with veteran depth. I'm surprised he signed here and not Cinci

Just more evidence that Coughlin hates playing rookies.

Or.

Leon Hall wore a smile about a mile wide on Thursday as he first spoke publicly as a member of the Giants.

“It feels great to be a New York Giant,” said the veteran cornerback who signed a one year contract with the organization this morning. Hall played all of his NFL seasons with Cincinnati, the team that drafted him nine years ago.

“I’m a little nervous, naturally, but definitely anxious and excited,” he said. “I’ve been working out, but it’s different when you’re not with a team and training camp. Everybody started last week, so I’ve been watching on TV. Sitting around watching is not fun, so I’m excited to actually put some cleats on again. It’s a little bittersweet, but it’s exciting. Everything is going to be a little different, but sometimes different is good. I’m excited for the opportunity.”

Hall has appeared in 121 regular season contests, compiling 517 tackles and 26 interceptions, adding 24 tackles in four postseason appearances and an interception returned for a touchdown, becoming one of two players in Bengals history to tally a defensive touchdown in a playoff game.

He expects to provide the Giants an experienced slot cornerback presence on the inside, with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Janoris Jenkins expected to occupy both outside corners. Head coach Ben McAdoo confirmed Hall will be primarily a slot defender, but was open to starting him elsewhere in the secondary.

“I’m comfortable there,” Hall said of playing inside. “We’ve talked and I’m comfortable in multiple spots, which I think is a good thing, especially for this team, just to be able to be flexible. I pride myself on being able to play in the slot, and if they need me on the outside and elsewhere, I pride myself on being ready for that, too.”

It might take snaps away from Apple though, so that's kinda iffy to me..

To be honest I don't really want to see a totally raw, inexperienced 20 year old Apple out there at CB all the time . It will be great to see Apple develop over 1 or 2 seasons. The veteran depth that this Hall signing gives us is great and helps to protect Apple a bit while he learns

To be honest I don't really want to see a totally raw, inexperienced 20 year old Apple out there at CB all the time . It will be great to see Apple develop over 1 or 2 seasons. The veteran depth that this Hall signing gives us is great and helps to protect Apple a bit while he learns

That's the thing I think we all understand now, Apple wasnt a "make the team better now" pick, he was a "impact player in few seasons" type of pick.

I mean I hand it to JR in a season where his ass is on the line he goes and spends the 10th round pick on a player who is going to be a starter down the road instead of this year.

Every other pick though seems like they are going to impact this season. Shepard, Goodson, Thompson, Perkins are all going to see starting/ ST playing time and Adams sounds like he's coming along into the rotation.

Agree. Apple will get his snaps on the practice field. Want to build up the kids confidence before throwing him to the wolves. Hall will provide leadership and mentor to apple. Love the signing.

Do any of you guys see Apple playing a safety spot in the future? Or are they just set on letting him take over for Rodgers-Cromartie in a season or two? If it's the second option, aren't we back at square one, looking for CB depth next year?

Do any of you guys see Apple playing a safety spot in the future? Or are they just set on letting him take over for Rodgers-Cromartie in a season or two? If it's the second option, aren't we back at square one, looking for CB depth next year?

I don't understand the question, if they move him to safety then they have an even bigger hole at CB.

I don't understand the question, if they move him to safety then they have an even bigger hole at CB.

If Spagnuolo says he will get playing time, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. However, we don't have a safety to start next to Landon Collins unless they are ready to hand the job to Thompson. Still, I only see Apple seeing the field sparingly at CB until someone gets injured. I guess I personally don't see the point in drafting someone that high for a year or two down the road. However, if he is on the depth chart at safety, especially since we don't have any linebackers and like to stack the field with safeties, at least he gets game reps.

I didn't really think they had a hole at CB to begin with, I guess. Rodgers-Cromartie, in my opinion, is the best player on that side of the field. Pre-draft they had signed Janoris Jenkins and had a serviceable Trevin Wade. Now they have more than serviceable Leon Hall but still no one to cover tight ends or running backs. Apple is physical and has size....

If Spagnuolo says he will get playing time, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. However, we don't have a safety to start next to Landon Collins unless they are ready to hand the job to Thompson. Still, I only see Apple seeing the field sparingly at CB until someone gets injured. I guess I personally don't see the point in drafting someone that high for a year or two down the road. However, if he is on the depth chart at safety, especially since we don't have any linebackers and like to stack the field with safeties, at least he gets game reps.

I didn't really think they had a hole at CB to begin with, I guess. Rodgers-Cromartie, in my opinion, is the best player on that side of the field. Pre-draft they had signed Janoris Jenkins and had a serviceable Trevin Wade. Now they have more than serviceable Leon Hall but still no one to cover tight ends or running backs. Apple is physical and has size....

I doubt they switch him, a whole new position wont help unless he is going to be put there permanently, he needs to learn how to play CB in the NFL before safety. Typically the only time a CB is moved to safety is when they lost a step and has the veteran experience to know the ins and outs of the game, two things Apple doesnt have.

It's why the Apple pick was considered the "bad" pick of the draft for the Giants and a ballsy one by JR, they got a kid who is very raw but with a high ceiling that is gonna take multiple seasons to get it all together.

If they wanted a safety Joesph, and Bell could of both been taken at that point....actually they may have been better picks, they could be starting day one lol

I think Apple is a CB without question. I think that there is never a time where you don't consider improving your secondary at some point in the offseason. I just think that snaps are valuable to a player's development and I wouldn't want to hinder Apple from progressing sooner than later.

We have a tonne of safeties, even a safety that's probably being converted back to a CB (Bennett). They were just all out on IR last year.

They probably figure DRC is 30, and will need to be replaced sometime in the next couple years. CB is a premium position, and we have a premium pick and if Apple is a guy they think can be the starting corner to replace him, it's a good pick.

They probably figure DRC is 30, and will need to be replaced sometime in the next couple years. CB is a premium position, and we have a premium pick and if Apple is a guy they think can be the starting corner to replace him, it's a good pick.

Agreed. Ideally you'd like the 1st pick to step in and contribute right away but the guys that could have done that were off the board when we were up. Next best option is best player available, who can be trained and ready when needed.....and in the NFL, that always seems to be sooner than you thought.

Agreed. Ideally you'd like the 1st pick to step in and contribute right away but the guys that could have done that were off the board when we were up. Next best option is best player available, who can be trained and ready when needed.....and in the NFL, that always seems to be sooner than you thought.

That's the problem...Apple wasn't the best player available. Someone like Taylor Decker was there who could of filled the RT hole right away. What drives me crazy about their draft philosphy is they seem to like one player at each position. For instance they liked Conklin and Floyd, so they admitted there was a need for an athletic LB and RT, but one those were gone it's like that need disappeared. When that need is still there and they didn't solve it evenlater in the draft. I didn't think this roster was built to essentially redshirt a player for one to two years

That's the problem...Apple wasn't the best player available. Someone like Taylor Decker was there who could of filled the RT hole right away. What drives me crazy about their draft philosphy is they seem to like one player at each position. For instance they liked Conklin and Floyd, so they admitted there was a need for an athletic LB and RT, but one those were gone it's like that need disappeared. When that need is still there and they didn't solve it evenlater in the draft. I didn't think this roster was built to essentially redshirt a player for one to two years

They likely figured the guys they didn't pick, weren't worthy of the 10th pick.

It'd be one thing if they viewed Decker as an equal prospect as Apple and chose Apple(which I'd still agree with since CB is a more important position than RT I think). But I don't think that's the case, I think they thought Apple was the better prospect.