SportsWrath

Ravens cut Eugene Monroe after trade talks with Giants fall through, report says

Mr. P

The Baltimore Ravens have released veteran offensive tackle Eugene Monroe, a Plainfield, N.J., native, after trade talks with the Giants fell through, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Now that Monroe is an unrestricted free agent, the Giants can continue to pursue him in an attempt to add to their offensive line. However, they may have some company, as Schefter indicated the San Diego Chargers and Seattle Seahawks could have interest in his services as well.

Monroe, 29, is entering his eighth year in the NFL. He had fallen out of favor in Baltimore after struggling with injuries in recent years, as well as the Ravens' selection of Notre Dame tackle Ronnie Stanley with the No. 6 pick in this year's NFL Draft. Monroe played in just six games last year after missing five in 2014.

Monroe has season-ending shoulder surgery last season, and has not practiced this offseason. But he recently said he has been medically cleared.

The Ravens held Monroe out of their mandatory minicamp this week as a precautionary measure, head coach John Harbaugh told reporters on Tuesday, as they fielded calls about potential trade interest. Apparently, the Giants were the most interested team as they look to solidify their line situation, but nothing came to pass, leaving the Ravens to decide to cut the former Plainfield High star.

Monroe, who has created headlines this offseason due to his medical marijuana advocacy, would likely interest the Giants as a replacement at right tackle for Marshall Newhouse, as they believe Ereck Flowers is their left tackle going forward.

The Giants showed interest in several offensive linemen during free agency, and also were considering Michigan State's Jack Conklin with the No. 10 pick in the draft. But their veteran targets all signed elsewhere, and Conklin was selected No. 8 overall by the Tennessee Titans, meaning Newhouse has remained the starter up until this point in the offseason program.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/06/ravens_cut_eugene_monroe_after_trade_talks_with_gi.html

Keep in mind, he only needs to be better than Newhouse to improve our offensive line.

True.....but Newhouse is better than using cap space on someone who lives on the IR. I'd be very wary and if signed, make it incentive heavy. Still, as Gmenroc says, good to know they are still looking to upgrade.

This guy also advocates marijuana for ummm...*medicinal purposes* so pass on Tunsil because of an old video, but they're ok with this guy

Hasn't it been said there were more red flags than just the video, plus it's different to advocate for legal medicinal use of marijuana and chonging out with a gas mask.

Not to mention the huge difference between investing a top ten draft pick in somebody and signing them to a modest free agent deal.

Honestly. When was the last time you heard someone too high on weed they done harm to someone else? Can you should me somethings where weed kills more than drinking?

There isn't anything like that. Imo the only reason weed is illegal is because its too easy to grow naturally and therefore can't be regulated and taxed.

Ok so something to think about here before everyone gets excited about Eugene Monroe. I'm betting Reese was offering a conditional late round pick for trade bait and the Ravens declined. We'll find out next year if this was a smart for them, shit sounds stupid at the moment. Ravens cut Monroe and now he has some potential suitors out there. I think we have enough money to outbid any team out there on his services and the only question is should we? Do we want to get into a bidding war over Monroe? If we wanted a player coming off of an injury we could have kept Beatty and not be sitting on dead money right now.

Yeah, I still don't understand the Beatty lack of interest. He wasn't the best, but I think they should've made more of an effort to bring him back to fight for the RT spot. Then again, when a player loses his job as a result of an injury...that tends to sour relations I'd think.

Well now there's this:

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports free agent LT Eugene Monroe turned down an offer from the Giants to play right tackle and isn't willing to play the position.

Monroe is in "no rush" to sign now that OTAs and minicamps are over, leaving five weeks until training camps open. But the 29-year-old is adamant at staying on the left side. Cole mentions the Seahawks and Panthers as options for Monroe, specifically if Carolina wants to move Michael Oher to right tackle. After signing Oher to an extension Friday, we doubt that's the case. Monroe's best fit right now from a position and scheme standpoint would be Seattle.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/336780/Report--Monroe-unwilling-to-play-right-tackle

This is what I figured why the Giants didn't sign Monroe. He either didn't want to play RT or a current contract issue. I'm sure the Ravens would have taken a bag of chips because they were going to cut him anyway.

Yeah, I still don't understand the Beatty lack of interest. He wasn't the best, but I think they should've made more of an effort to bring him back to fight for the RT spot. Then again, when a player loses his job as a result of an injury...that tends to sour relations I'd think.

I guess that's the "reason" but I agree - if Beatty is still sitting there, assuming he's been working out and is healthy, why not at least bring him in to compete with Newhouse?

I guess that's the "reason" but I agree - if Beatty is still sitting there, assuming he's been working out and is healthy, why not at least bring him in to compete with Newhouse?

Could be a shit load of reason. Wouldn't the Giants know him best ? If they not willing to sign him back they have their reasons. Then again there was Chase Blackburn.

I assume the Giants figure/known that Beatty isnt attracting any interest from any other team out there, I mean he's still a FA for a reason.

Maybe after camp cuts and whatnot if they figure they still need help they could sign him on the cheap, he knows the system and can come right in to backup or play if need be.

NFL is a business, it's not like they need to throw money at Beatty (who's not even better than Newhouse) when they can wait and see and probably get him for cheaper as the season gets closer.

They cut him and others and created 8 million dollars in dead money. The relationship is sour on both ends.