SportsWrath

Patrick Willis, Justin Smith retiring from 49ers

Mr. P

That's absolutely shocking. That Lebowski was a stud, he was going to have a fruitful career. Better not to risk your health though

He hasn't had a diagnosed concussion since sophmore year. He's just afraid of getting another. :mellow:

He seems to be a thoughtful kid. I take him at his word.

me too. i was honestly wondering when stuff like this would start happening. i figured nobody would do it while they were on a cheap rookie contract though. im really impressed with him

I don't get it.

Okay, so maybe not everybody plays for the love of the game. But then why play all those years in youth leagues, high school, then college, only to quit just before you actually make some money you can fall back on? All that risk for all those years, and now he's bailing on it?

Maybe there's some issue there we don't know about, but at face value, I don't know what the hell Borland (or anybody who retires on a rookie contract) is thinking.

From what I read, he still made half a million bucks. Not enough to live his whole life on, but a damn good start. Invest some of that and as long as he doesn't have 9 kids by 9 different mothers, he'll be on the right path to not have to worry about money.

From what I read, he still made half a million bucks. Not enough to live his whole life on, but a damn good start. Invest some of that and as long as he doesn't have 9 kids by 9 different mothers, he'll be on the right path to not have to worry about money.

$420K - 10% agent fee = $378K

$378K - tax = $260K-ish (depends on how he's set up)

Dude might be able to buy a decent house but that's it.

Being "only" a History major (I have a BA in History by the way and have done very well with it).....I assume the kid can read.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/2013/01/29/nfl-players-union-and-harvard-team-landmark-study-football-injuries-and-illness/aCGnf96h7ptWX2Lnp5MIiP/story.html

Die in your late 50s after years of chronic pain......I'd pass too.

C. Wagon

Is that really true though? Last time I saw a real statistical study on player longevity, it found that NFL players live slightly longer on average. In that context, because they're living longer, higher rates of dementia and chronic pain are to be expected.

Here's a take from slate.com:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/09/nfl_players_life_spans_and_domestic_violence_rates_could_pro_football_actually.html

Is that really true though? Last time I saw a real statistical study on player longevity, it found that NFL players live slightly longer on average. In that context, because they're living longer, higher rates of dementia and chronic pain are to be expected.

Here's a take from slate.com:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/09/nfl_players_life_spans_and_domestic_violence_rates_could_pro_football_actually.html

You're right...I miss read the article...I thought those stats were based on the Harvard Study....instead it was announcing the Harvard study...and then noted the unsupported data I noted.

That goddamn History Degree FUCKS ME AGAIN!

C. Wagon

You're right...I miss read the article...I thought those stats were based on the Harvard Study....instead it was announcing the Harvard study...and then noted the unsupported data I noted.

That goddamn History Degree FUCKS ME AGAIN!

C. Wagon

Don't worry, you can count on me and my art degree to pull you through.

Being "only" a History major (I have a BA in History by the way and have done very well with it).....I assume the kid can read.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/2013/01/29/nfl-players-union-and-harvard-team-landmark-study-football-injuries-and-illness/aCGnf96h7ptWX2Lnp5MIiP/story.html

Die in your late 50s after years of chronic pain......I'd pass too.

C. Wagon

A NCAA Scholarship stream "History" degree, Chuckles.

• 1 month later...