SportsWrath

Did we clinch?

Herc

I'm playing with the Espn playoff machine. Gave us two losses, gave Tampa two wins, wash 2 wins, had gb and Detroit win next week and then it says we're still in whether gb or det win their game week 17. Is this machine broken or am I forgetting a scenario?

Apparently is down to us, GB and TB for the 2 wild card spots and it seems as though both TB and GB have the tie breaker on us... I know GB beat us but I'm not sure why TB would have the tie breaker... so it's beat the Eagles and we're in... or win 2 and Dallas losses 2 and we get a bye and home field.

Yeah apparently Tampa doesn't have a tiebreaker on us cuz if they win out and we lose out and Green Bay wins out then those two are in and det is out. If det beats gb and Tampa wins then Tampa is in. If tb loses too then Washington is in but so are we are 10-6. I can't figure out how we don't get in

Yeah apparently Tampa doesn't have a tiebreaker on us cuz if they win out and we lose out and Green Bay wins out then those two are in and det is out. I can't figure out how we're not in

Just looked... as it stands NYG conf record is 7-3 and TB is 6-4... so if we were to lose out, we'd be 7-5 and if they win out they'd be 8-4 thereby giving them the tie-breaker.

Yeah but I think we'd still get the other spot cuz Washington can't jump us and the machine basically has it as only the winner of NFC north gets in. They have det missing playoffs at 10-6 if we lose out, Tampa wins out, gb wins out and det going 1-1 losing to gb. Gb csnt jump is if they lose to det and Washington can't jump us at all. So basically is says there's no way det, gb, and Tampa all get in

We haven't clinched. Nas has it right. If we lose out and Tampa wins out, we'd both be 10-6 and they'd have the better conference record.

Win in Philly and we're in. We're also in if Tampa loses in New Orleans OR Detroit loses in Dallas. Both are underdogs. Both pulling upsets would be a parlay I wouldn't play.

There are too many variables right now to list them out. Most surround what's happening in the NFC North. As Giants fans, we probably want Green Bay to win that division so that we're battling Detroit for the wild card. This, because we won the H2H against Detroit, but not Green Bay.

Regarding Tampa Bay, we currently have a 7-3 NFC record. If we lose the next two, we'd obviously drop to 7-5. If Tampa Bay were to win the next two, our overall records would both be 10-6, however TB's NFC record would be 8-4 and they'd therefore win the tiebreak with us.

Yeah but I think we'd still get the other spot cuz Washington can't jump us and the machine basically has it as only the winner of NFC north gets in. They have det missing playoffs at 10-6 if we lose out, Tampa wins out, gb wins out and det going 1-1 losing to gb. Gb csnt jump is if they lose to det and Washington can't jump us at all. So basically is says there's no way det, gb, and Tampa all get in

Not necessarily... the Falcons and Bucs can make the playoffs along with the Packers.... with the Falcons and bucs being the div winner and wild card... I'd have to spend more time studying further scenarios but you'd think ESPN would give us that "x"... just not yet.

According to Ralph V

If the Giants go 0-2, the Bucs go 2-0, the Lions go 1-1 by winning in Dallas but losing at home to the Packers and they all finish 10-6 (deep breath here), the Falcons go 2-0 and the Packers go 2-0 to win their divisions then the Bucs, Giants and Lions are all tied at 10-6 for two wild-card spots.

In that scenario, with three teams tied from different divisions, the NFL first works to figure out the top team (or the No. 5 seed in this case) and the first tiebreaker is "head-to-head sweep," which isn't applicable in this case since the Bucs haven't played either team. The next tie-breaker is conference record. And in this scenario, the Bucs would be 8-4, the Lions would be 8-4 and the Giants would be 7-5. So the Giants would be "eliminated"

According to Ralph V

If the Giants go 0-2, the Bucs go 2-0, the Lions go 1-1 by winning in Dallas but losing at home to the Packers and they all finish 10-6 (deep breath here), the Falcons go 2-0 and the Packers go 2-0 to win their divisions then the Bucs, Giants and Lions are all tied at 10-6 for two wild-card spots.

In that scenario, with three teams tied from different divisions, the NFL first works to figure out the top team (or the No. 5 seed in this case) and the first tiebreaker is "head-to-head sweep," which isn't applicable in this case since the Bucs haven't played either team. The next tie-breaker is conference record. And in this scenario, the Bucs would be 8-4, the Lions would be 8-4 and the Giants would be 7-5. So the Giants would be "eliminated"

That's the one that baffles me a bit. The Giants would be tied with the Lions AND would have taken the head2head against them...yet be ranked lower.

That's the one that baffles me a bit. The Giants would be tied with the Lions AND would have taken the head2head against them...yet be ranked lower.

Well, wouldn't conference record break the tie for the Bucs leaving the Lions and Giants tied where it should revert back to head to head?

even if the above happens ....we still get in if Detroit loses to Dallas on Sun

Or if Tampa loses in NO, I think we're in. Thing is, if you assume GB will beat Minny this weekend, in GB, the Dallas game means nothing to Detroit. Win or lose, it would still come down to the final Sunday, GB @ Det....right?