SportsWrath

Schwartz a favorite to coach giants

Herc

Fuck yes

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21922019/jim-schwartz-running-coach-new-york-giants

Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is expected to be a favorite -- if not the favorite -- for the New York Giants' head coaching job, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Giants, who are 2-13 and vying for the No. 2 pick in the draft entering Sunday's season finale against Washington, fired coach Ben McAdoo after Week 13 and have been led by Steve Spagnuolo on an interim basis.

Guide To The NFL Coaching Carousel

The Giants were the first team to fire their coach, but firing-and-hiring season in the NFL is only just beginning.

Everything to know about potential openings »

21 candidates you need to know »

Schwartz is expected to interview with the team in the next week, while the Eagles (NFC-best 13-2) are on the bye.

Giants owner John Mara said the team wants to hire an experienced coach, and Schwartz would qualify. He coached the Detroit Lions for five seasons, his tenure ending with his dismissal after the 2013 season.

Schwartz was 29-51 in Detroit. He inherited an 0-16 team and had Detroit in the playoffs by his third season in 2011. Four of his five seasons, though, ended with losing records.

In two seasons in Philadelphia, Schwartz has made significant strides with the Eagles defense. Their unit is ranked second, behind Minnesota, in the conference both in totals yards and points allowed.

The Giants last week hired Dave Gettleman as general manager to replace Jerry Reese, who was fired on the same day as McAdoo. Gettleman is a 30-year NFL veteran who spent four seasons as the Carolina Panthers' general manager and 15 as a personnel executive in the Giants organization.

Patricia Traina liked

So, here's where Giants are right now. GM Dave Gettleman will not replace Marc Ross (who he fired) and will run draft and FA himself. 3 sources confirm Josh McDaniels & Matt Patricia are favorites with Bill O'Brien if fired. All 3 sources downplayed Jim Schwartz as candidate.

Not a fan of Pagano. I think my top 3 are pats coordinators and Schwartz

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I was just posting "breaking news" cause you fuckers beat me to it every time.

I liked Pagano when he started out and beat Leukemia, and all the players rallied around him. By last year it was obvious that the player's coach was a horrible coach.

To me, some people are found out that they are best as coordinators. Schwartz is one of those IMO.

No fucking way to Pagano.

I'm thinking that Spags gets more consideration this time. Players love Spags and he wants to stay.Last time the team was smitten with McAdoo.

I'm thinking that Mc Daniels or Patricia gets the call.

I honestly dont think Spags has a chance.... The interview maybe just to save face...,

The Giants are meeting with both the Patriots coordinators and I think McDaniels is the man assuming he impresses in the interview.... The Giants may even reach out to Belicheck to get his feedback.