SportsWrath

Tiki Talks about

Lughead

Tiki Barber: Eli Will Be Fine, Tom Coughlin Needs to Change

Posted Feb 9th 2007 10:15AM by Michael David Smith

Tiki Barber spoke on NFL Network Thursday from Hawaii, where he reiterated that the Pro Bowl will be the final time we see him in cleats (he said he's happy to go out as a teammate of his twin brother, Ronde) and that he is "one hundred percent" retired.

But that's old news. The most interesting things Barber had to say were about his former quarterback, Eli Manning, and his former coach, Tom Coughlin. When asked about Manning's future, he said he thought Manning would continue to develop as a quarterback, and that the promotion of Kevin Gilbride from the Giants' quarterbacks coach to the offensive coordinator will help him because Gilbride won't "coddle" Manning.

Talking about Coughlin, though, Barber sounded as if he wanted a little more coddling. After saying New York was a good place for Manning, he was asked whether it's also a good place for Coughlin. He answered,

"That's a different question. He's got to change a little bit in some of the things that he does, in how he approaches his players and how he motivates us. Times have changed. Players are different. They don't always respond to constant criticisms and negative reinforcements. And he started to come towards us a little bit, but I think he's still got to do more. He's still got to listen to us and not keep us in pads for the whole season long, and understand that when players -- especially veteran players -- give you input, it helps to listen."

That's a pretty damaging sentiment, that Coughlin still needs to learn to listen to his players. Listening to Barber, I couldn't help but think maybe he could have been talked out of retiring if a new coach had been brought in. Barber isn't the type of person to state things that baldly -- he goes or I go -- but I wonder if he said anything like that behind the scenes.

LINK

You guys are crazy if you think Tiki is coming back if Coughlin was fired. He made a committment to retire week 7 or something. And then he brought it out the whole year. If he came back after all that hype, that would be incredibly damaging to him and his reputation. He was gone either way.

You guys are crazy if you think Tiki is coming back if Coughlin was fired. He made a committment to retire week 7 or something. And then he brought it out the whole year. If he came back after all that hype, that would be incredibly damaging to him and his reputation. He was gone either way.

Good point...But, I still think TC had some sort of influence in Tili's retirement.

Good point...But, I still think TC had some sort of influence in Tili's retirement.

Yeah, probably some stuff that caused the consideration of retirement to take place.

But this was all Tiki's doing. Not much to do with TC. Its probably just a coincidence that Tiki didn't like the guy and he retired.

I bet we end up hating Tiki by the end of next season. His autobiography is coming out in Sept. and you know he's going to lay it on nice and thick, right at the beginning of the season.

I already hate the guy. He didnt bring us anything. He brought his career numbers up and retired. Fuck him! I hope the next RB, whether that's Jacobs or whoever, shatters the shit out of his numbers.

I already hate the guy. He didnt bring us anything. He brought his career numbers up and retired. Fuck him! I hope the next RB, whether that's Jacobs or whoever, shatters the shit out of his numbers.

The guy is an obvious promotion hungry media hound. If he had tits he'd be Paris Hilton.

Jesus Christ Tiki, this guy helped you learn how to hold onto the ball and you had 3 of your best years of your career under him and now you spout off at the mouth? Come on. I am sure he might not like him, but please at this point just shut the fuck up already :furious:

BTW, those annoymous quotes to the press were no doubt made by Tiki. Its funny, early in the year Gary Myers use to have all the annoymous quotes(he and Tiki worked together for a few years on YES' This week in football, until Sir Tiki became too large for a small media outlet like YES), then Myers ripped his ass in the paper for announcing his retirement when he did(righfully so) and then all of a sudden Myers stopped with his "unamed Giant players" crap. Later on(after the Carolina game I believe) Tiki and Myers made up and Tiki said as much on his SIRIUS show that week. Within days after the Cowbys loss, Myers all of a sudden had more stuff from "unamed Giants". Not hard to figure it out and I bet as time goes on and the writers realize they do not need to kiss his ass anymore it will come out that Tiki was the "unamed Giant".

This all also tells me that when Strahan goes on Joe Beningo and says that he likes Coughlin and thought he never would, but realizes what he wants to do and that he wants to win I believe him. Its no secret, despite the phoniness they portray that Strahan hates Tiki and vice versa stemming from Tiki calling Strahan out, through the media about his contract.

My gess tells me there are qute a few Giant players that will privately be happy to see the Tiki Barber propoganda machine move on. I will miss his abilities, but I will not miss the bullshit that seems to go along with him.

Jesus Christ Tiki, this guy helped you learn how to hold onto the ball and you had 3 of your best years of your career under him and now you spout off at the mouth? Come on. I am sure he might not like him, but please at this point just shut the fuck up already :furious:

BTW, those annoymous quotes to the press were no doubt made by Tiki. Its funny, early in the year Gary Myers use to have all the annoymous quotes(he and Tiki worked together for a few years on YES' This week in football, until Sir Tiki became too large for a small media outlet like YES), then Myers ripped his ass in the paper for announcing his retirement when he did(righfully so) and then all of a sudden Myers stopped with his "unamed Giant players" crap. Later on(after the Carolina game I believe) Tiki and Myers made up and Tiki said as much on his SIRIUS show that week. Within days after the Cowbys loss, Myers all of a sudden had more stuff from "unamed Giants". Not hard to figure it out and I bet as time goes on and the writers realize they do not need to kiss his ass anymore it will come out that Tiki was the "unamed Giant".

This all also tells me that when Strahan goes on Joe Beningo and says that he likes Coughlin and thought he never would, but realizes what he wants to do and that he wants to win I believe him. Its no secret, despite the phoniness they portray that Strahan hates Tiki and vice versa stemming from Tiki calling Strahan out, through the media about his contract.

My gess tells me there are qute a few Giant players that will privately be happy to see the Tiki Barber propoganda machine move on. I will miss his abilities, but I will not miss the bullshit that seems to go along with him.

you know, now that you mention it. Chris Collisworth said something that kinda caught my interest. He said tiki was trying to get Eli to be a better leader. but when chris asked some of the players about this, most of them said "how can Tiki teach Eli to lead, when he's not a leader himself." And this was said way before Tiki announced his retirement. :unsure:

The guy is an obvious promotion hungry media hound. If he had tits he'd be Paris Hilton.

I started to think that he was a self-interested phony when he started that round of bullshit with Strahan about three years ago. I don't even remember what it was about it was so insipid and down right stupid. :confused: Also the guy will and has sold his soul to be "accepted" beyond the world of sports. An interesting story about Tiki: Before he was married to darling Ginny he went on a little trek to Tiffany's Jewelry store in Manhattan. The story goes that when he tried to enter the sales reps would not buzz him in, ostensibly because of his looks ( muscular black guy dressed casually); young master Tiki had to pull out his Platimum Amex Card in order to get in. Now people can argue back and forth all day long about whether this was racial discrimination or not, but if it was me I would have shown my card walked in and told them all to go fuck themselves and walk out. Better yet I would have gotten the clerks name, ordered a shitload of stuff and cancelled it after I decided I did not want it. I would have written a letter to the president of the company and little Miss Tiffany would have some 'splaining to do. But did Young Master Tiki do that....no he showed his card and like a meek little accepted mouse demurely went about his purchase and helped to improve Tiffany's bottom line. Tiki's statements always came across to me as being pretty calculating and disengenous. Fuck what he has to say. He decided to leave in the middle of the journey....God speed and lets get back to the Giants. :rolleyes:

you know, now that you mention it. Chris Collisworth said something that kinda caught my interest. He said tiki was trying to get Eli to be a better leader. but when chris asked some of the players about this, most of them said "how can Tiki teach Eli to lead, when he's not a leader himself." And this was said way before Tiki announced his retirement. :unsure:

Exactly....there was a lot of untended and unmended fallout from his character assassination of Strahan a few years back. He never stood up in the locker room and never really backed up any of the guys who did. Fuck Plaxico had more encouraging statements to make (and has made them) than Tiki ever has. Like XXI-XXV I am tired of the bullshit that comes with the running.

I started to think that he was a self-interested phony when he started that round of bullshit with Strahan about three years ago. I don't even remember what it was about it was so insipid and down right stupid. :confused: Also the guy will and has sold his soul to be "accepted" beyond the world of sports. An interesting story about Tiki: Before he was married to darling Ginny he went on a little trek to Tiffany's Jewelry store in Manhattan. The story goes that when he tried to enter the sales reps would not buzz him in, ostensibly because of his looks ( muscular black guy dressed casually); young master Tiki had to pull out his Platimum Amex Card in order to get in. Now people can argue back and forth all day long about whether this was racial discrimination or not, but if it was me I would have shown my card walked in and told them all to go fuck themselves and walk out. Better yet I would have gotten the clerks name, ordered a shitload of stuff and cancelled it after I decided I did not want it. I would have written a letter to the president of the company and little Miss Tiffany would have some 'splaining to do. But did Young Master Tiki do that....no he showed his card and like a meek little accepted mouse demurely went about his purchase and helped to improve Tiffany's bottom line. Tiki's statements always came across to me as being pretty calculating and disengenous. Fuck what he has to say. He decided to leave in the middle of the journey....God speed and lets get back to the Giants. :rolleyes:

besides, anyone with brains knows you just get the blue tiffany box, then go buy your shit on 47th street.

The only thing Tiki did wrong, was announce his retirement DURING the season. But then again, he's been talking like this for a couple of years, so we knew. He's been nothing but a professional, and dont forget, Strahan brought up money bullshit at the wrong time when he and Tiki got into it, and we all hated him for it. Tiki was a leader, maybe mostly w/ his play as opposed to his mouth, but he led, thats for sure.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Tiki. But I agree with several of you that Tiki really had his best years under Coughlin. And if he was the anonymous leaker of info than I move him off my all time list. That kind of shyt pisses me off. At least have the balls to stand up and say it rather than go underground. That sux.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Tiki. But I agree with several of you that Tiki really had his best years under Coughlin. And if he was the anonymous leaker of info than I move him off my all time list. That kind of shyt pisses me off. At least have the balls to stand up and say it rather than go underground. That sux.

Yeah, but tags, its just media hype. Tiki's just sayin that TC could find a better way to gel w/ teammates, he's a great coach, he just comes at 'em wrong.

Tiki Barber: 'Coughlin Pushed Me Toward Retirement'

Posted Feb 13th 2007 7:19PM by Dan Benton

Filed under: NY Giants, NFC East

The other day when I wrote a farewell/biography on Tiki Barber I began to question whether or not Tom Coughlin played a role in him retiring. Eventually I expressed those thoughts publicly but played it off as some extremist theory that didn't hold any water. Perhaps I shouldn't have back tracked so quickly. At a press conference Barber admitted that Coughlin pushed him toward retirement.

"He pushed me in the direction (of TV)," Barber told reporters after his press conference. "He kind of forced me to start thinking about what I wanted to do next. And I went after it."

Barber continued with his statement, possibly practicing damage control, by saying that it had also just become to demanding. That's a nice way to sweeten the blow but it's becoming more and more obvious that Coughlin's presence ultimately led to Barber's decision to walk away.

Although it's a little sad to know that Coughlin is partially at fault for this, I wish Tiki would just stop talking. He's slowly burning bridges with the Giants organization and their fans.

Press Conference

newsday

Well what do you Nem? Your gut feeling was right .

The only thing Tiki did wrong, was announce his retirement DURING the season. But then again, he's been talking like this for a couple of years, so we knew. He's been nothing but a professional, and dont forget, Strahan brought up money bullshit at the wrong time when he and Tiki got into it, and we all hated him for it. Tiki was a leader, maybe mostly w/ his play as opposed to his mouth, but he led, thats for sure.

In his defense, Tiki got eavesdropped on by a snoopy reporter and Tiki didn't wanna flip flop and say he wasnt gonna retire and then do what Saban did and retire after all. We'd hate him a lot more if he did that.