SportsWrath

Boredom Topic

Dragon

Is Eli Manning a HoFer if he retired today?

I looked over his stats and NFL ranks in history and one could make an legitimate argument for or against.

Personally regardless of his accomplishments and accolades I think he's held back by his 1.5/1 TD/INT ratio and the fact that he's only been in the playoffs 5 times in his career.

The two super bowl wins put him over every time the conversation comes up.

This.

Eli's stats may not be the greatest, but 2 rings combined with his work ethic, resiliency and not only being the face of the franchise, but the NFL as well, will get him in without question.

I mean, you have guys like Marino with great stats and no ring and guys like Bob Griese with lousy stats and a ring in the Hall. Eli will get in for sure.

He wont be first ballot but he will eventually get in.

If he finishes his career with three or four more seasons like this previous one I don't think there is any discussion about how he wont be a HoFer.

Funny to think we are in an era where an number of current QBs will by in the HoF, Peyton, Brady, Eli, Brees, Rodgers, maybe Rivers, the Rapist.

Believe me... I want him in the Hall without question. I just think that there's this anti-Eli sentiment in the NFL analyst community and I think they'll hold the int stat and team shortcomings against him... like missing the playoffs despite having the 8th ranked offense in the league.

The records and rankings he has are ridiculous. He's already (or will be by the end of 2016) top 10 in every statistical category for a qb in NFL history. Top 3 among active QBs. He's had an amazing career without a lot of fanfare from the media.

Believe me... I want him in the Hall without question. I just think that there's this anti-Eli sentiment in the NFL analyst community and I think they'll hold the int stat and team shortcomings against him... like missing the playoffs despite having the 8th ranked offense in the league.

The records and rankings he has are ridiculous. He's already (or will be by the end of 2016) top 10 in every statistical category for a qb in NFL history. Top 3 among active QBs. He's had an amazing career without a lot of fanfare from the media.

Luckily I would say that if anything the HoF voting committee doesnt listen to anything the media has to say at all.

No doubt. He engineered the greatest Super Bowl win ever. Then won another. The career numbers will be there too. He's gonna be one of those guys that non-Giants appreciate a lot more down the line

He's not done yet and the next few years could be his best statistical years! Add say, three years of stats as good or better than last year to his two Super Bowl MVPs and yes, I believe he gets in. Or, if he has so-so years statistically but wins another Super Bowl. That would get him in, too. And if both those things come to pass, he's a no doubt, first ballot guy.

I think it's automatic, personally. Who is he going to go up against that would push him out of consideration? He's not going to be going up against the likes of Brady or his brother, at least I don't think...I figure Brady will be retiring before him....Brees will probably retire before him. He might be going up against the likes of Big Ben or Phillip Rivers, but Rivers hasn't won anything and Ben's Super Bowls are nothing in comparison, in my opinion.

Like has been said, if he continues to be top 5 in the league in most statistical categories for the next 4 or 5 years, however long he sticks around, he will be in, no doubt. Beckham will pad his stats.

I say he should just remove all doubt and set some passing records and win us 2-3 more Super Bowls before he hangs up the cleats. Lol.

It's the least he could do

He's a damned IMGRATE!

He'll get in, but it won't be first ballot and it won't be for a long time. He's got a lot working against him:

He's the "worse" Manning.

There are many QBs this generation that are peeceived to be better (Brees, Brady, Rodgers,Rapistberger, etc).

He's only made two Pro Bowls (totally dumb, I know).

He's from New York.

WE all know what a great QB he is but I'm not sure others do. We're talking about a committee that made Harry Carson wait... what? 25 years? That guy had eight Pro Bowls and a ring. Even Michael Strahan was second ballot so that Warren Fucking Sapp could get in. Phil Simms is still waiting.

Another ring would definitely change all of that... I think he'd still be denied first ballot because the AP are pricks but it'd be tough to deny it to him for long.

Yeah the committee has made a lot of fuck ups recently.

Harrison over Owens

Plunkett still not in.

Jim Marshall still not in.

Craig is still waiting despite being the horse of the 49ers team.

They honestly just need to have a "clearance" HoF class where they induct 10 players at each position with the log jam they have going on.

Yeah the committee has made a lot of fuck ups recently.

Harrison over Owens

Plunkett still not in.

Jim Marshall still not in.

Craig is still waiting despite being the horse of the 49ers team.

They honestly just need to have a "clearance" HoF class where they induct 10 players at each position with the log jam they have going on.

They could just lower the standard. Then, eventually, the prerequisite to get in would be that you played in the NFL. Sometime. In your lifetime.

My heart says yes, but I don't think, retiring today, he makes it. The case can be made that he has been in the top 5-10 in the league for his entire career, but not top 2 or 3. Without the rings, I don't think he is in the conversation. He played in an era when the season TD record was broke twice, multiple guys throwing for 40 TDs in a season, multiple guys throwing for 5,000 yards...tons of guys in the 4,700-5,000 area.

His performance in the playoffs might be what carries him over the edge though, and how memorable his SB wins were, who they were against, the talent around him. Hell, the first super bowl run might be enough itself: wildcard team, 3 road games, 2 against the #1 and #2 seeds. Then the unbeaten Pats, maybe the greatest QB even in Brady, best team ever, best offense ever...If that is weighed as heavily as it should be and the voters don't write it off to the defense carrying them and a lucky helmet grab, he should make it.

That's if he retired today. He isn't, he has 2-4 more years and has gotten better. If he can continue to put up the numbers from the last couple of years for the next 3 or 4, break 400 career TDs, 60,000 career yards...be hard to keep him out. Another ring would clinch it.

My heart says yes, but I don't think, retiring today, he makes it. The case can be made that he has been in the top 5-10 in the league for his entire career, but not top 2 or 3. Without the rings, I don't think he is in the conversation. He played in an era when the season TD record was broke twice, multiple guys throwing for 40 TDs in a season, multiple guys throwing for 5,000 yards...tons of guys in the 4,700-5,000 area.

His performance in the playoffs might be what carries him over the edge though, and how memorable his SB wins were, who they were against, the talent around him. Hell, the first super bowl run might be enough itself: wildcard team, 3 road games, 2 against the #1 and #2 seeds. Then the unbeaten Pats, maybe the greatest QB even in Brady, best team ever, best offense ever...If that is weighed as heavily as it should be and the voters don't write it off to the defense carrying them and a lucky helmet grab, he should make it.

That's if he retired today. He isn't, he has 2-4 more years and has gotten better. If he can continue to put up the numbers from the last couple of years for the next 3 or 4, break 400 career TDs, 60,000 career yards...be hard to keep him out. Another ring would clinch it.

I looked at this and the first thing that came to mind was "no way in hell", but on second thought it's not that far off. We're talking 106 TD Passes and just under 16,000 yards. If Eli plays another 4 years we're only talking 4000 yards and just over 25 TDs a year. Both of which I completely expect to be achieved.