SportsWrath

Ravens cut Eugene Monroe after trade talks with Giants fall through, report says

Mr. P

I get the motivations but Miller is a potential HOF in his prime. Why the Broncos aren't just blank cheque him is ridiculous. As the article points out he wants Vernon money which isn't a stretch considering Vernon has never made a Pro Bowl. IMHO the Broncos are fucking this up not Miller. Can another team sign a franchised player?

There is an unofficial salary cap on defensive players. Teams that compete in the playoffs simply don't spend a stupid amount of money on one player when he plays defense. Another team could sign a franchise tagged player as long as they surrender two first round draft picks.

I get the motivations but Miller is a potential HOF in his prime. Why the Broncos aren't just blank cheque him is ridiculous. As the article points out he wants Vernon money which isn't a stretch considering Vernon has never made a Pro Bowl. IMHO the Broncos are fucking this up not Miller. Can another team sign a franchised player?

The thing is though he will be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL, the hitch in the whole agreement is that Vonny want's a majority of the contract up front in the first three years somewhere in the 60+ million guaranteed in those three, the Broncos want to spread the contract out over the first and second half of the contract.

The Broncos are trying to build a team to win games not tank it by paying the guy 20+ million for the first three years, plus a signing bonus.

Miller can bitch and moan all he wants but he will be making the most money for any defensive player in the NFL with the contract the Broncos threw at him.

No need for tiers or any of that shit, just make it 50% guaranteed (or 60 or 70 or whatever) across the board. The idea is remove a stumbling block for negotiations, not add more, and it would get rid of the stupid back-heavy deals that never get fulfilled anyway.

I got your point in the first post. The problem is that there's been a precedent set (by that one fully guaranteed contract that some idiot team handed out) so I truly believe that any adjustment to the make the guaranteed part of contracts uniform will be fought tooth and nail by the NFLPA and never get agreed upon.

I got your point in the first post. The problem is that there's been a precedent set (by that one fully guaranteed contract that some idiot team handed out) so I truly believe that any adjustment to the make the guaranteed part of contracts uniform will be fought tooth and nail by the NFLPA and never get agreed upon.

I think the NFLPA would see that a set guaranteed % is in their favour compared to the largely symbolic "highest paid" contracts getting inked now.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, he's under contract to the 49ers and his tweets sound like he's eager to rejoin his former teammates.....but he's also been in an open war with the GM and 49er front office and it's questionable whether they will welcome him back. Question is, does he go back and have a kumbaya make nice reunion or try to effect a trade?

Phil Loadholt just retired.

It's looking more and more like last year's line will be this year's line.

You know which might not be a bad thing, last year the Oline was a revolving door with injuries and players switching positions.

Maybe having another year of continuity and flow will help it out.