SportsWrath

Yanks buy another championship

mastershake

do you really think that grabbing the top 3 free agents, (all instrumental to the season and post season) is all that wise? i mean any gm in the league would say get me those guys and we got a chance, no? it just so happened that those were the pieces they were missing so they went and got them- at 500mill and no one else could do that.

Maybe. But anyone can step up and pay the price. Why are the Yankees punished for being the highest bidder? Are they supposed to say, ah well, the Phillies are paying half as much, we will just stay out of it? Dont other teams purposefully bid the prices up just to make sure the yankees overpay?

I guess I just dont see how overpaying for AJ Burnett translates to a better win ratio? If you were to take the Yankee payroll and scale it down to what they shouldve paid, it may be the same as the other teams. No pitcher can be worth 160 million! And, they didnt get Halladay which if they were "that" team, they wouldve.

do you really think that grabbing the top 3 free agents, (all instrumental to the season and post season) is all that wise? i mean any gm in the league would say get me those guys and we got a chance, no? it just so happened that those were the pieces they were missing so they went and got them- at 500mill and no one else could do that.

The point is that anyone can do that if they wanted to. It's not against the rules. That your team says they cannot afford to is in no way the fault of the Yankees and should have no bearing on what the Yankees do.

Baseball has been benefitting from the Yankees taking thier higher payroll and spending it on Sheffield and Giambi while settling for starting pitching like Leiber, Jaret Wright, Kevin Brown, Javier Vasquez etc etc They wasted thier resources and made poor decisions. Much like the Giants did when they spent the ridiculous amount they did on Zito and made themselves the laughing stock of baseball that offseason.

The Giants were in the world series in 2002 and took the Angels to 7 games. If they make smart decisions they can do it again and maybe even win next time. That's why you should continue to root for your team instead of being upset about the success of others.

Maybe. But anyone can step up and pay the price. Why are the Yankees punished for being the highest bidder? Are they supposed to say, ah well, the Phillies are paying half as much, we will just stay out of it? Dont other teams purposefully bid the prices up just to make sure the yankees overpay?

I guess I just dont see how overpaying for AJ Burnett translates to a better win ratio? If you were to take the Yankee payroll and scale it down to what they shouldve paid, it may be the same as the other teams. No pitcher can be worth 160 million! And, they didnt get Halladay which if they were "that" team, they wouldve.

not sure i understand the point you're making. halladay was not a free agent and cashman is smart enough to know the price was too high (in players) to go after that. not everyone can pay the price and still turn a profit. yankees spend oodles and still make oodles. they don't break any rules, but there oughta be. problem is the union is so strong that there will never be. thank goodness the game of baseball is so pure that it will survive even this. in any other sport, if one team had such an advantage, it would win hands down, every year.

The Yankees are back on top and fans everywhere are enjoying a moment to soak it all in. Of course, whenever the Yankees do well, haters will automatically say they only won because they were able to spend more than anybody else.

Yes, the Yankees spent more on payroll than their vanquished foes, but so does almost every other champion. Take a look at the last 30 years of baseball payrolls. Now compare that to the list of World Series victors. Remember those small market Twins? Outspent the Cardinals and the Braves. Those poor Blue Jays who can’t compete in the AL East? They had the highest payroll in the league in both of the seasons they won the Series. Oakland Athletics? They spent more than the Giants in 1989 on their way to a sweep. The Dodgers had the second highest payroll in 1988 when they won. Even the lowly Royals outspent their opponents in their 1985 championship run.

Notice the pattern here? You should. Not including the Yankees, the team with the higher payroll wins the World Series more than 70% of the time. In that same time period, the Yankees have gone to 8 world series and have won 5 of them, or about 63% of the time. So on average, the Yankees being in the World Series has not really had a detrimental affect on the head-to-head chances of their lower-payrolled opponents.

I know I'm a tad late to the party, but I thought we had a Yankees section mod. How the fuck do we let Blu get jumped by someone with 143 posts? I'm a Yankees fan through and through and have been since I popped out of the womb, but Blu is a righteous dude. Maybe if others were here more, they'd see that. Oh well, guess this doesn't get seen until next spring. Sorry Blu.

I know I'm a tad late to the party, but I thought we had a Yankees section mod. How the fuck do we let Blu get jumped by someone with 143 posts? I'm a Yankees fan through and through and have been since I popped out of the womb, but Blu is a righteous dude. Maybe if others were here more, they'd see that. Oh well, guess this doesn't get seen until next spring. Sorry Blu.

Blu is still mad because before the Yankees bought the Babe, the Giants owned NY. :smartass:

No sweat- I enjoyed it. In most of his 143 posts, he was getting schooled by mickeef. he was jonesin for a spanking and mickeef wasn't around so I volunteered. it was fun for a while.

What's the point of a message board if we are supposed to hold hands and sing cumbaya? He said some pretty trollish bitter things about the Yankees and I disagreed. Am I not allowed to try and address these things even though he eventually ran away and avoided the topic?

Is there some kind of posting minimum one needs to be able to participate in discussion on this board? 500 posts maybe? Then how does someone get to 500 posts without engaging in discussions on this board?

No worries though BronxRik. I'm sure blunatic appreciates you fighting his battles for him as he can't do it himself.

correct

you're a last word freak aren't you? of course people who read this thread might think that other, more intelligent posters came on to the conversation and i chose to interface with them. but we both know the truth, i ran away from your superior name calling. :WS:

you're a last word freak aren't you? of course people who read this thread might think that other, more intelligent posters came on to the conversation and i chose to interface with them. but we both know the truth, i ran away from your superior name calling. :WS:

Isn't that what you just did with this last post?

Your "Intentional Groundout" was a classic example of your superior name calling skills. I decided I just wouldn't even try to compete with that :smartass:

Just remember, the Yankees are STILL World Champions and bitter fans like yourself have done nothing make make it even sweeter then it already is.

If it makes you feel better post again with another denial that you ran away and won't address the actual points I made and I will let you have the final word.

This of course will only last until you claim several days later that you won and the pissing match will continue. It's up to you. You can run away for good and save what little face you have left or you can drag this out as long as you like.

Now that that's settled, what's everybody think people will say if the Yanks sign Mauer it two years? Not that I think the Yanks will sign him. I mean, a gold glove catcher that hits .360 with some power? Nobody will be able to afford what he'd be worth.

What's the point of a message board if we are supposed to hold hands and sing cumbaya? He said some pretty trollish bitter things about the Yankees and I disagreed. Am I not allowed to try and address these things even though he eventually ran away and avoided the topic?

Is there some kind of posting minimum one needs to be able to participate in discussion on this board? 500 posts maybe? Then how does someone get to 500 posts without engaging in discussions on this board?

No worries though BronxRik. I'm sure blunatic appreciates you fighting his battles for him as he can't do it himself.

Nobody said anything about holding hands and singing Cumbya. I was merely using the post count as an example of how you don't post here much, and probably don't 'know' Blu and how he posts. Blu's a big boy, he can handle himself just fine, and he's certainly no troll. I was actually more upset with our Mods, and probably should have PM'd rather than spout off in an open forum.

Nobody said anything about holding hands and singing Cumbya. I was merely using the post count as an example of how you don't post here much, and probably don't 'know' Blu and how he posts. Blu's a big boy, he can handle himself just fine, and he's certainly no troll. I was actually more upset with our Mods, and probably should have PM'd rather than spout off in an open forum.

I haven't had the chance to post here much but I have lurked for quite some time

Do as you see fit. It's a message board where all three of us root for the Giants. If it's determined that I am not allowed to speak my opinion because my post count isn't high enough then my feelings won't be hurt.

I typically enjoy Blu's contributions when it comes to the Giants, however, I disagree with what he says about the Yankees. Especially when he does little to hide the fact that he is bitter about what he would refer to as "the Yankees buying another championship". He is not interested in having a discussion about any of the points I made and that is his problem.

I don't take his bitter Yankee hatred personally, in fact I find it quite amusing. I don't allow it to detract from the solid contributions he gives to the Giants section of this board. Ces't la vie.

Now that that's settled, what's everybody think people will say if the Yanks sign Mauer it two years? Not that I think the Yanks will sign him. I mean, a gold glove catcher that hits .360 with some power? Nobody will be able to afford what he'd be worth.

I honestly think he stays in Minnesota. He's the hometown hero, a franchise player and the Twins will do all they can to keep him. He'll become even more valuable to the Twins when they open the new stadium.

I haven't had the chance to post here much but I have lurked for quite some time

Do as you see fit. It's a message board where all three of us root for the Giants. If it's determined that I am not allowed to speak my opinion because my post count isn't high enough then my feelings won't be hurt.

I typically enjoy Blu's contributions when it comes to the Giants, however, I disagree with what he says about the Yankees. Especially when he does little to hide the fact that he is bitter about what he would refer to as "the Yankees buying another championship". He is not interested in having a discussion about any of the points I made and that is his problem.

I don't take his bitter Yankee hatred personally, in fact I find it quite amusing. I don't allow it to detract from the solid contributions he gives to the Giants section of this board. Ces't la vie.

There's nothing to 'do'. We're all adults here, trash talk away. Your post count has no bearing on what you can post. As I said before, I should have directed my initial comments in a PM, not in the forum, as they were not directed at anyone in particular.