SportsWrath

Jim Rice disses Jeter

Lubeck

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08222009/sports/yankees/rice_rips_jeter_at_the_llws_185800.htm

Derek Jeter's relationship with Jim Rice consists of the Yankees' captain saying hello to the Hall of Fame outfielder.

So when Jeter was informed that Rice lumped Jeter in with AlexRodriguez and Manny Ramirez as players kids shouldn't use as rolemodels during a talk at the Little League World Series, Jeter was takenback.

"Ask him, I don't know," Jeter said of Rice, the former Red Sox great.

Rice was critical of baggy uniform pants and dreadlocks. He also said today's players couldn't compete with his peers.

"I don't wear baggy pants or have dreadlocks," Jeter said.

"Guys that I played against and with, these guys you're talkingabout cannot compete," Rice said. "It was clean game and now they aresetting a bad example for the young guys."

Without mentioning steroids, Rice was lumping Jeter in with two performance-enhancing drug users.

Asked what current players are worthy of being inducted into theHall of Fame, Rice said Ichiro Suzuki, Ken Griffey Jr. and Jim Thome.

So the guy who goes out of his way to avoid controversy, shows up every day and plays with his heart on his sleeve, and does tons of charity work isn't someone they should look up to?

I had always heard Rice was a bit of a putz and a douche but had never seen it personally...now I have.

Guest StrahansGap

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08222009/sports/yankees/rice_rips_jeter_at_the_llws_185800.htm

So the guy who goes out of his way to avoid controversy, shows up every day and plays with his heart on his sleeve, and does tons of charity work isn't someone they should look up to?

I had always heard Rice was a bit of a putz and a douche but had never seen it personally...now I have.

Jim Rice finally has the balls to say anything about anybody because now he's a Hall of Famer. Before getting inducted, Jim Rice's opinion on anything meant shit. And to me Rice's opinion still means shit because he really isn't a HOF calibur player.

Maybe Rice just doesn't like half breeds.

Btw, anyone else ever wonder why Griffey filled out suddenly and could no longer get around on the fast ball? I thought the fucker would have had 800 hrs by now.

Maybe Rice just doesn't like half breeds.

Btw, anyone else ever wonder why Griffey filled out suddenly and could no longer get around on the fast ball? I thought the fucker would have had 800 hrs by now.

he could have been dirty- but all those crashes into the CF wall didn't help either.

How long did it take that overated old fuck to get into the HOF? Yeah, that about it sums it up.

It took Harry Carson a very long time to get into the Hall of Fame, but I guess that's okay cause your a Giants fan.

Rice's numbers are compareable to Duke Snyder's numbers..Snyder won 2 world series though.

It took Harry Carson a very long time to get into the Hall of Fame, but I guess that's okay cause your a Giants fan.

Rice's numbers are compareable to Duke Snyder's numbers..Snyder won 2 world series though.

Thats also the NFL.

Jim Rice is a Hall of Fame caliber player hands down. Now does he have a big mouth; is certifiably crazy and has been known to have his elevator stop short of the top floor hell yeah. Just because he was a Red Sucks and he hits the Yankee boys does not make it any less so. Obviously he is an asshole of major proportions...and his locks comments can go straight up his ass.

When it comes to "team play", "class", and "overall production"......Jim Rice can't carry Jeter's jock strap!

Jeter will be a shoo-in to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility as the greatest shortstop in history to ever play the game. Rice will go down in history as a better than average outfielder whose teams never won a World Series and had a reputation as a big baby whiner. Jeter is all class. Rice is no class.

When it comes to "team play", "class", and "overall production"......Jim Rice can't carry Jeter's jock strap!

Jeter will be a shoo-in to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility as the greatest shortstop in history to ever play the game. Rice will go down in history as a better than average outfielder whose teams never won a World Series and had a reputation as a big baby whiner. Jeter is all class. Rice is no class.

Thats excessive.

Thats excessive.

Compare stats with any shortstop in history and see where he stands. Plus, he has 4 world series rings (so far) and has won practically every award available from "Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year", Florida State League MVP", "AL Rookie of the Year Award", to numerous gold gloves, numerous All-Star appearances (coupled with being named MVP of the All-Star games), numerous memorable dramatic game changing hits or fielding plays with the kind of flair that will be replayed for the next 100 years, etc.

Here's another stat: "Jeter put together a remarkable hitting streak that was barely noticed at the time: over the span of 61 games from August 20, 2006 to the second game of the May 3, 2007 doubleheader, he collected at least one base hit in 59 games, putting together hitting streaks of 25, 14 and 20 games only interrupted by two hitless games. He was thus the first hitter since Joe DiMaggio's record hitting streak of 56 consecutive games in 1941 to come within two games of matching his feat; in fact, no batter other than DiMaggio had hit in 54 of 56 games in the entire 20th Century"

At 32 years old, he has over 2500 hits and could be the first person since Pete Rose to surpass 4000 hits joining Rose and Ty Cobb as the only others to do so.

And the guy has given millions to children's charities and has given a huge amount of his spare time helping children. And oh yeah, did I mention that Jeter has been romantically involved with former Miss Universe Lara Dutta, actresses Jordana Brewster, Scarlett Johansson and Jessica Alba, and most recently, MTV personality Vanessa Minnillo. He boinked Jessica Alba !!!!!! No friggin wonder Rice is jealous of Jeter!

Here - a concise list:

Notable Achievements

1994 The Sporting News & Baseball America Minor League Player of the Year, Tampa Yankees, Florida State League, Albany-Colonie Yankees, Eastern League & Columbus Clippers, International League

1996 AL Rookie of the Year Award

1996 Topps All-Star Rookie Team

10-time AL All-Star (1998-2002, 2004 & 2006-2009

2000 All-Star Game MVP

2000 World Series MVP

2004, 2005, 2006 AL Gold Glove Winner3-time AL Silver Slugger Award Winner (2006-2008)

1998 AL Runs Scored Leader

AL Hits Leader (1999)

1997 and 1998 AL Singles Leader

20-Home Run Seasons: 3 (1999, 2001 & 2004)

100 RBI Seasons: 1 (1999)

100 Runs Scored Seasons: 11 (1996-2002 & 2004-2007)

200 Hits Seasons: 6 (1998-2000 & 2005-2007)

Four World Series titles with the New York Yankees (1996, 1998, 1999 & 2000)

Compare stats with any shortstop in history and see where he stands. Plus, he has 4 world series rings (so far) and has won practically every award available from "Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year", Florida State League MVP", "AL Rookie of the Year Award", to numerous gold gloves, numerous All-Star appearances (coupled with being named MVP of the All-Star games), numerous memorable dramatic game changing hits or fielding plays with the kind of flair that will be replayed for the next 100 years, etc.

Here's another stat: "Jeter put together a remarkable hitting streak that was barely noticed at the time: over the span of 61 games from August 20, 2006 to the second game of the May 3, 2007 doubleheader, he collected at least one base hit in 59 games, putting together hitting streaks of 25, 14 and 20 games only interrupted by two hitless games. He was thus the first hitter since Joe DiMaggio's record hitting streak of 56 consecutive games in 1941 to come within two games of matching his feat; in fact, no batter other than DiMaggio had hit in 54 of 56 games in the entire 20th Century"

At 32 years old, he has over 2500 hits and could be the first person since Pete Rose to surpass 4000 hits joining Rose and Ty Cobb as the only others to do so.

And the guy has given millions to children's charities and has given a huge amount of his spare time helping children. And oh yeah, did I mention that Jeter has been romantically involved with former Miss Universe Lara Dutta, actresses Jordana Brewster, Scarlett Johansson and Jessica Alba, and most recently, MTV personality Vanessa Minnillo. He boinked Jessica Alba !!!!!! No friggin wonder Rice is jealous of Jeter!

Here - a concise list:

Notable Achievements

1994 The Sporting News & Baseball America Minor League Player of the Year, Tampa Yankees, Florida State League, Albany-Colonie Yankees, Eastern League & Columbus Clippers, International League

1996 AL Rookie of the Year Award

1996 Topps All-Star Rookie Team

10-time AL All-Star (1998-2002, 2004 & 2006-2009

2000 All-Star Game MVP

2000 World Series MVP

2004, 2005, 2006 AL Gold Glove Winner3-time AL Silver Slugger Award Winner (2006-2008)

1998 AL Runs Scored Leader

AL Hits Leader (1999)

1997 and 1998 AL Singles Leader

20-Home Run Seasons: 3 (1999, 2001 & 2004)

100 RBI Seasons: 1 (1999)

100 Runs Scored Seasons: 11 (1996-2002 & 2004-2007)

200 Hits Seasons: 6 (1998-2000 & 2005-2007)

Four World Series titles with the New York Yankees (1996, 1998, 1999 & 2000)

When i think of SS, I think defense is as important as offense, the up the middle players (C, SS, 2B, CF) have to be judged defensively as much as offensivley, possibly even more. And while i certainly remember many Jeter defensive plays, he is at best an average defender.

Also, minus the rings, (and i know I'll catch flak for dropping this name) Michael Young is a carbon copy of Jeter. A great player, a player anyone would be happy to have playing on their team, but regardless of his popularity and dating record, he ain't the greatest SS to ever play the game.

Honus Wagner. Conversation over.

Plus I'd take Ripken over Jeter. Let's just say he's top 5.

i would say A-Rod is best SS of all time. Never saw Honus Wagner play but he has the stats. I'd put Barry Larkin ahead of Jeter too.

i would say A-Rod is best SS of all time. Never saw Honus Wagner play but he has the stats. I'd put Barry Larkin ahead of Jeter too.

A-Rod was a hot little shortstop when he was young and had speed, but he doesn't hit in the clutch and doesn't put rings on his teammates fingers - and he's will spend most of his career as a 3rd baseman.

Larkin was a helluva shortstop and has 1 WS ring, but - truth is, he accomplished less in 19 years than Jeter has in 14. In fairness, both won 3 gold gloves each and Larkin played in 12 All-Star games to Jeter's 10 All-Star appearances (however, Jeter isn't through with his career). Jeter is the only player in history to win MVP of the All-Star game in the same year that he won MVP of the World Series.

- Larkin in 19 years got 2340 hits, 198 home runs, 960 RBI, 1329 runs scored with a .295 BA.

- Jeter in 14 years has 2699 hits, 221 home runs, 1058 RBI, 1551 runs scored with a .317 BA

As you can see.....Jeter outshines Larkin in overall stats and this doesn't even include Jeter's post season stats in which he has played in 12 ALDS, 7 ALCS, and 6 WS where he has accumulated 153 hits, 17 HRs, 16 SB, 85 runs scored, and a .334 BA....all of which are NOT included in his above stats - also, the above is missing his stats in the All Star games. And Jeter could be playing another 5 or 6 years.

And nobody - I mean NOBODY - in the history of baseball can hit the ball to the opposite field better than Jeter.

I don't think you are giving Jeter enough credit....especially considering his dedication to the team and the fans and his willingness to give it his all on every single play no matter the score.

I would agree with you on A-Rod but the whole steroid thing bothers me. Honus Wagner did his damage in the dead ball era of baseball. Because it was a hundred years ago, people forget to mention him among the great shortstops. Bill James, a noted baseball historian and sabermetrician, named Wagner the second greatest PLAYER of all time behind Babe Ruth.

If Honus Wagner played today there wouldn't even be a conversation about who the best shortstop in baseball was.

I would agree with you on A-Rod but the whole steroid thing bothers me. Honus Wagner did his damage in the dead ball era of baseball. Because it was a hundred years ago, people forget to mention him among the great shortstops. Bill James, a noted baseball historian and sabermetrician, named Wagner the second greatest PLAYER of all time behind Babe Ruth.

If Honus Wagner played today there wouldn't even be a conversation about who the best shortstop in baseball was.

jimmy, i'm a baseball fan, you don't have to explain honus wagner or bill james to me.

Honus Wagner. Conversation over.

Plus I'd take Ripken over Jeter. Let's just say he's top 5.

I almost mentioned Wagner, butas Blu mentioned, never saw him play, not even a highlight reel. but, he does have the stats and according to what I've read, was quite the defensive SS.

I'm as big a Ripken fan that isn't an Orioles fan that exists, only Nolan ryan has more memorabillia in my house than Ripken. And I'm not saying i wouldn't rank him above jeter, but I don't think he's a clear cut favorite. I think there are other players that can be mentioned above Cal. not the least of which is Ozzie. Possibly even Ernie Banks.

Arod is/was without a doubt a better SS than Jeter. This isn't even a question. his offense is obviously better, and he was a much better defender at the position.

A-Rod was a hot little shortstop when he was young and had speed, but he doesn't hit in the clutch and doesn't put rings on his teammates fingers - and he's will spend most of his career as a 3rd baseman.

Larkin was a helluva shortstop and has 1 WS ring, but - truth is, he accomplished less in 19 years than Jeter has in 14. In fairness, both won 3 gold gloves each and Larkin played in 12 All-Star games to Jeter's 10 All-Star appearances (however, Jeter isn't through with his career). Jeter is the only player in history to win MVP of the All-Star game in the same year that he won MVP of the World Series.

- Larkin in 19 years got 2340 hits, 198 home runs, 960 RBI, 1329 runs scored with a .295 BA.

- Jeter in 14 years has 2699 hits, 221 home runs, 1058 RBI, 1551 runs scored with a .317 BA

As you can see.....Jeter outshines Larkin in overall stats and this doesn't even include Jeter's post season stats in which he has played in 12 ALDS, 7 ALCS, and 6 WS where he has accumulated 153 hits, 17 HRs, 16 SB, 85 runs scored, and a .334 BA....all of which are NOT included in his above stats - also, the above is missing his stats in the All Star games. And Jeter could be playing another 5 or 6 years.

And nobody - I mean NOBODY - in the history of baseball can hit the ball to the opposite field better than Jeter.

I don't think you are giving Jeter enough credit....especially considering his dedication to the team and the fans and his willingness to give it his all on every single play no matter the score.

Whe discussing "the best player at a position", post season success is pretty much moot. It's a team sport. Replace Jeter with Young, do they win any fewer championships? Leadership, knack for taking the ball the other way or up the middle, clutch hitting, steal a base when necessary, play adequate D (only adequate because of what they bring to the plate offensively and in the locker room).

They are the exact same player, only michael is one up on jeter, due to his willingness to switch positions..........twice.

And i'm not trying to turn this into a Rangers vs Yankees thing, hell, you could throw Jimmy Rollins in with those 2.

Again, Jeter is a fine player, a guy I hate to see my team face, but the best SS ever he ain't.