SportsWrath

Small Aircraft crashes into high-rise on Upper East Side NYC

jranieli

Man that sucks. My girlfriend and I were fortunate enough to get tickets on the field near the visitors bullpen at Shea earlier this season, when Corey was on the Phillies. He came out durring warmups and talked to a bunch of us along the field and signed as many autographs as he possibly could. He seemed like a really nice guy and it's a shame that he was taken so young.

He was down on a rehab start in Scranton for a day, he actually did not start but a few friends went and he signed a few balls for them. Seemed like a cool guy.

They did not play when Kyle died, Cory pitched for the mets and Peterson was his first pitching coach. The weather is shitty what is one day for someone who died. If it was not Lidle I would agree with you but it is so I think you are wrong

Well, we are both entitled to our opinions. If it is not rained out I believe they will play the game tonight.

yeah, fuck cancelling the game... he has nothing to do with the Mets except for being from the same state... it's a shame this happened, but I think the Mets need to win one for him tonight.. wait, scratch that, we need another sweep in memory of Lidel

I think it would be the best for there to be a game tonight. It would be best for everyone and make people forget for the time being. It has been a tragic day and we need to get through this. Plus the weather might not be all that bad. It isn't supposed to get bad until later tonight.

I think it would be the best for there to be a game tonight. It would be best for everyone and make people forget for the time being. It has been a tragic day and we need to get through this. Plus the weather might not be all that bad. It isn't supposed to get bad until later tonight.

Looks like its raining pretty good at the stadium right now. Just showed a live shot on ESPN.

I think you just want them to play, I don't think you are thinking about the whole picture

Well hell yeah I want them to play, Who would want to face a 2x Cy Young twice in this series because of a rainout? Which is all it is.

Again, it's terrible but the world can't stop turning.

So listen to this. I am watching Comcast-Philadelphia and they are talking to Jimmy Rollins and he spoke to a friend of Lidle and he said that his wife and son are presently on a commercial flight from the west coast and they do not even know yet. Horrible

Yeah thats the really bad part. As soon as his wife steps off the plane she'll be pulled aside and told her husband is dead. Ofcourse i guess thats better than finding out he's dead on espn.

Such a shame.

yeah, fuck cancelling the game... he has nothing to do with the Mets except for being from the same state... it's a shame this happened, but I think the Mets need to win one for him tonight.. wait, scratch that, we need another sweep in memory of Lidel

No, nothing at all.

Can you say, Bandwagon?

Anyway, this is shocking. RIP Corey, would've been a whole different story if you had started game 4...

I'm sorry a young man is dead, really. But, for the life of me why the fuck is he flying a plane over manhattan. It takes a shit load of training and practice to become a pilot yet you have so many guys taking chances like this that don't have enough experience doing it, let alone the city of New York. Does anybody remember JFK jr. Same thing except unfortunately he had 3 people on board and they all persihed.

Again I ask, who's responsible for determining flights over New York. There's no way in hell we should be allowing private aircraft to fly over the city like this. He hit an out of the way building in Manhattan, he could have hit one in Times Square or lower manhattan and this could have been more tragic than this.

I'm sorry, but this is such a bad security breach in my opinion, and I'm really sorry he was killed, I know no harm was menat, but if you think about it this could have been a lot worse. You can't relax security measures like this, it's irresponsible.

I'm sorry a young man is dead, really. But, for the life of me why the fuck is he flying a plane over manhattan. It takes a shit load of training and practice to become a pilot yet you have so many guys taking chances like this that don't have enough experience doing it, let alone the city of New York. Does anybody remember JFK jr. Same thing except unfortunately he had 3 people on board and they all persihed.

Again I ask, who's responsible for determining flights over New York. There's no way in hell we should be allowing private aircraft to fly over the city like this. He hit an out of the way building in Manhattan, he could have hit one in Times Square or lower manhattan and this could have been more tragic than this.

I'm sorry, but this is such a bad security breach in my opinion, and I'm really sorry he was killed, I know no harm was menat, but if you think about it this could have been a lot worse. You can't relax security measures like this, it's irresponsible.

There were reports that he was having technical issues controlling the plane due to fuel problems. So I dont think he was intentional flying through the city, maybe just trying to get to the quickest runway to land.

I'm glad someone else is critical, albeit for a different reason. It's a shame though, not that he was a promising pitcher or anything, but just the tragic fact of what happened. Okay, here is where I sound like an asshole, but the only reason this will be so big in the coming months is because his career ended as a Yankee. He wasn't a Philly who crashed, he was a Yankee. Basically a "knock on wood" part of the Bobby Abreu trade, Lidle was only in New York for 2 months and put up a 5.16 era. He was routinely booed and probably the only person in all of Yankee stadium who had any love for him was Jason Giambi who was his friend from before. All I'm saying is that I don't want to see this milked or anything of the sort by Yankees fans. His loss will pretty much have no major effect on the 2007 Yankees. Pretty much all the fans didn't give a shit about him and the same is pretty much true for all of Major League Baseball, considering his journeyman status with 8 different teams in 11 years. His death's a shame, but that's it. Well wishes to his family and friends mourning the loss but if this in any way is twisted to reflect New York or if I hear BS about "doing it for Cory", I'll be mildy annoyed.

I'm glad someone else is critical, albeit for a different reason. It's a shame though, not that he was a promising pitcher or anything, but just the tragic fact of what happened. Okay, here is where I sound like an asshole, but the only reason this will be so big in the coming months is because his career ended as a Yankee. He wasn't a Philly who crashed, he was a Yankee. Basically a "knock on wood" part of the Bobby Abreu trade, Lidle was only in New York for 2 months and put up a 5.16 era. He was routinely booed and probably the only person in all of Yankee stadium who had any love for him was Jason Giambi who was his friend from before. All I'm saying is that I don't want to see this milked or anything of the sort by Yankees fans. His loss will pretty much have no major effect on the 2007 Yankees. Pretty much all the fans didn't give a shit about him and the same is pretty much true for all of Major League Baseball, considering his journeyman status with 8 different teams in 11 years. His death's a shame, but that's it. Well wishes to his family and friends mourning the loss but if this in any way is twisted to reflect New York or if I hear BS about "doing it for Cory", I'll be mildy annoyed.

You're an asshole.

There were reports that he was having technical issues controlling the plane due to fuel problems. So I dont think he was intentional flying through the city, maybe just trying to get to the quickest runway to land.

You still have to radio in for clearance, and if someone said to him, oh fly over manhattan so you can land at La guardia well then that's irresponsible IMO.

It's a pity he wasn't a Devil Ray when he died, because then we could all care much less about him. :confused:

Some of the people on this board need counseling. Seriously.

Oh, a complete one. But honestly, all I'm doing is stating the truth. How many Yankee fans gave a flying fuck about Cory Lidle until now.

Do you think everyone (if anyone) who comes to your funeral is going to give a shit about you?

By all accounts, he's a decent guy and a good teammate. If the Yankees want to devote a day to his memory, I have no problem with that and neither should you.