SportsWrath

Ty Law Released

DOOM

LINK

Jets part ways with Fiedler, Law, Fabini

NFL.com wire reports

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (Feb. 22, 2006) -- The New York Jets slashed their payroll by parting with Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law and cutting a host of other veterans, including quarterback Jay Fiedler, offensive tackle Jason Fabini and fullback Jerald Sowell.

The team is millions of dollars over the salary cap and must be at or under the salary cap by March 3, the opening day of free agency.

Ty Law's tenure with the Jets was short, but sweet.

The Jets have been negotiating with quarterback Chad Pennington, who twice in the past two years had rotator cuff surgery, in an attempt to reduce his cap number.

New York has shaken up its staff and is trying to rebuild under new coach Eric Mangini. These latest moves came a day after the Jets designated defensive end John Abraham their franchise player, although they might try to trade him.

Also cut were three reserves: linebacker Barry Gardner, defensive tackle Lance Legree and wide receiver Harry Williams Jr.

The Jets and Law agreed to not exercise contract options for the next three seasons that were part of the deal when he signed last year. The 32-year-old cornerback spent his first 10 seasons with New England and tied for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions last season.

"We were very fortunate to have a player of Ty's caliber in 2005," general manager Mike Tannebaum said. "Ty is a warrior and a class act and we appreciate his contributions this past season."

Fiedler, who signed with the team last season, injured his shoulder seven plays after Pennington was hurt in the third game last season and did not play again.

Fabini and Sowell are longtime starters -- Fabini started his first 114 games at offensive tackle until he tore a chest muscle Nov. 18 and was lost for the season. Sowell played for nine seasons.

Not worth the time spent in this case.

Besides, despite Law's lofty numbers last year, his best ball is likely behind him. No sense overpaying for a guy who likely doesn't meet expectations.

True but who thought that "old" guy would bounce back from a serious injury and kick ass up and down the field all season? Not me

True but who thought that "old" guy would bounce back from a serious injury and kick ass up and down the field all season? Not me

If by "kick ass up and down the field all season," you mean "got penalized every other play," I agree. His ten INTs were overrated - all of them except 1 or 2 were tipped passes that anyone could have got. Kerry Rhodes was near on three of them and Ty jumped in front.

I think Law started out the season slow and he made quite a few mental errors, but as the season went on, he got stronger and played better. Can't expect much more of a player coming off a serious injury. Unfortunetely, the Jets didn't follow the same plan.

If by "kick ass up and down the field all season," you mean "got penalized every other play," I agree. His ten INTs were overrated - all of them except 1 or 2 were tipped passes that anyone could have got. Kerry Rhodes was near on three of them and Ty jumped in front.

That's what I've been saying but everyone was laughing at me for calling 10 picks overrated. Glad I got a Jets fan, a person who saw all of this to clarify that it is infact true, Ty Law isn't as good as his stats show. I hope we stay away from him.