SportsWrath

Your 2006 NY Giants expectations

xxi-xxv

Just curious as to what you expect the teams course of action through the draft, free agency and in the season in regards to how the team will do. Keeping in mind the other 4 teams in the division what do you expect EA and companies course of action to be and how do you think it translates onto the field in 06'?

I will refrain from my thoughts to see what others think and expand on those ideas to incoporate my plan of attack in terms of my prediction.

I would like to expect physicality in the LOS. Flawless execution from our players, improvement from our QB position and our Linebacking position. A team that has a chance against every single team in the NFL.

All these expectation are subject to change!

I have similar expectations record wise, somewhere along the lines of 11-5 or 12-4 and that would be incredible looking at the opponents on our schedule. Besides playing the top three picks in the draft, it's going to get hard.

Through FA, I want to get a CB. I don't want to go high with a corner depending on who is available. We are built to win now and as we know, CBs take long to develop. I'd go for an OLB possibly or even a WR with our first rounder. We can get a solid CB, bring back Will and before we know it, have four guys with potential in our secondary. If that is the case, then I'd like to draft a safety.

I want to do the little things this off-season that take a team to the super bowl. Last year we did the big things.

I would like to expect physicality in the LOS. Flawless execution from our players, improvement from our QB position and our Linebacking position. A team that has a chance against every single team in the NFL.

All these expectation are subject to change!

Do you think that physicality you speak of translates into any changes in spots or do you think that development and consitency within a system that our players are more familar with breeds that brand of football?

I have similar expectations record wise, somewhere along the lines of 11-5 or 12-4 and that would be incredible looking at the opponents on our schedule. Besides playing the top three picks in the draft, it's going to get hard.

Through FA, I want to get a CB. I don't want to go high with a corner depending on who is available. We are built to win now and as we know, CBs take long to develop. I'd go for an OLB possibly or even a WR with our first rounder. We can get a solid CB, bring back Will and before we know it, have four guys with potential in our secondary. If that is the case, then I'd like to draft a safety.

I want to do the little things this off-season that take a team to the super bowl. Last year we did the big things.

I have to disagree on the WR, although I think a nice veteran possesion type, 3rd down WR would be nice in FA I cannot see them drafting a WR in the first round.

You mention the schedule and IMO we cannot look at that now as so many things change as the year progresses(what looks hard in March or even September could be a cakewalk by November).

I agree on the "little things" assesment as IMO the depth of this team could pay huge divedends in terms of wins and losses.

Yeah but in terms of predicting wins or losses, we need to look at the SOS to determine that.

In todays NFL I look at it differently, I use to use that, but it changes so much. I look at the strength of our roster 1-53 in terms of ability, experience and versatility, Obviously the stars and "money guys" are who make the team plays, but games in the NFL nowadays are won by having a good solid support system to your star players.

I just look back on the KC game as proof as to what it means to have the ability to have guys step in and play a position and help your team win.

I think I mentioned before that the 05' Giants remind me a bit of the 85 Giants, a team that was set in terms of star players and needed just a little bit to get over the top the next year. I am certainly not saying we are the 86 Giants, but I do think we are set in terms of who our playmakers are.

Do you think that physicality you speak of translates into any changes in spots or do you think that development and consitency within a system that our players are more familar with breeds that brand of football?

Definitely the latter, as it has been proven by many other teams. Though if I had to pick, I would prefer a team full of smart players who will execute at a high level. Physicality in todays game can be countered with executing properly and consistanly. :huh:

Definitely the latter, as it has been proven by many other teams. Though if I had to pick, I would prefer a team full of smart players who will execute at a high level. Physicality in todays game can be countered with executing properly and consistanly. :huh:

I tend to agree I think that good coaching(which it is no secret I think Coughlin and staff are)combined with continuity leads to those things. I think that cutting down on penalties would lead to the things you spoke of as in year #2 of this regime we saw the strides that a team can make within the framework of the things you mentioned.

In todays NFL I look at it differently, I use to use that, but it changes so much. I look at the strength of our roster 1-53 in terms of ability, experience and versatility, Obviously the stars and "money guys" are who make the team plays, but games in the NFL nowadays are won by having a good solid support system to your star players.

I just look back on the KC game as proof as to what it means to have the ability to have guys step in and play a position and help your team win.

I think I mentioned before that the 05' Giants remind me a bit of the 85 Giants, a team that was set in terms of star players and needed just a little bit to get over the top the next year. I am certainly not saying we are the 86 Giants, but I do think we are set in terms of who our playmakers are.

I think with the proper little signings as we both mentioned earler, the support cast theory you just explained is true. Steelers aside from Polamalu don't have a spectacular secondary at all. They have a decent line with an excellent NT. And they have four very good LBs. What we're doing if we stay healthy will eventually take us in the direction of the promised land, and I'm exicted for it.

Based on what we know from 2005 about the teams we face in '06 (some of those teams could be BAD next season) I would say as of now a 8-8 finish...we never had a consitently good defense all year. Our offense did look OK early on..but finished with a whimper. Eli will continue to grow (throwing punts for INTs) Laxico will give up on routes...Shockey will get into a fight with Eli and Tiki will try to defend him and will result into a locker room brawl...In the process Luke gets flagged for holding...that stops the fight. Osi will get better at playing the run and continue to be a great pass rusher...he'll finish with 18 sacks...Strahan after an offseason with no rehab to do he will finish with 14 sacks. The Giants will lead the league in sacks. Antonio Pierce will lead the Giants in INTs...Gibril will emerge as a Polamalu-type safety

Based on what we know from 2005 about the teams we face in '06 (some of those teams could be BAD next season) I would say as of now a 8-8 finish...we never had a consitently good defense all year. Our offense did look OK early on..but finished with a whimper. Eli will continue to grow (throwing punts for INTs) Laxico will give up on routes...Shockey will get into a fight with Eli and Tiki will try to defend him and will result into a locker room brawl...In the process Luke gets flagged for holding...that stops the fight. Osi will get better at playing the run and continue to be a great pass rusher...he'll finish with 18 sacks...Strahan after an offseason with no rehab to do he will finish with 14 sacks. The Giants will lead the league in sacks. Antonio Pierce will lead the Giants in INTs...Gibril will emerge as a Polamalu-type safety

You make me sad njsmalls.

You make me sad njsmalls.

That part was kind of a joke...I did say Luke gets flagged for holding during the fight!

Plax will still give up on routes though...Shock will get frustrated but I don't think he'll end up fighting Eli.

Edited by njsmalls

That part was kind of a joke...I did say Luke gets flagged for holding during the fight!

Plax will still give up on routes though...Shock will get fustrated but I don't think he'll end up fighting Eli.

If Eli plays good consistently then there will be no frustration. That's all.

Guest Lockhart
Just curious as to what you expect the teams course of action through the draft, free agency and in the season in regards to how the team will do. Keeping in mind the other 4 teams in the division what do you expect EA and companies course of action to be and how do you think it translates onto the field in 06'?

I will refrain from my thoughts to see what others think and expand on those ideas to incoporate my plan of attack in terms of my prediction.

Looking how the Giants finished the 2005 season one can only be distressed. Dallas lost their LT (Flozell Adams) early in the season and never got untracked. That said their defense will be one of the NFL's best next season, while the offense will be good enough. The Eagles will not be the injury riddled team they were last season, and although they are not the same team as a few years ago - they aren't bad. The Redskins are up and coming, handling the Gaints easily late in the season. Take all that with the complete offensive collapse the Giants had, without any notable injuries and one wonders if the Gaints will simply get crushed. Plaxico and Shockey gave up on Eli, while the Giant QB looked lost and erratic for the last 6 games. The defense should be improved, but it is hard to say anything good about the Giant offense considering how they finished the 2005 season.

I see them finishing 3rd in the NFC East behind the Cowboys and Redskins - both seem to be moving forward and both have veteran QBs that can pass. - Both those teams have MUCH better defenses than the Giants. Unless injuries hurt the Redskins or Cowboys, they should have little trouble defensing a Giant offense that cannot pass, and depends wholly on the 31 year-old Tiki Barber.

Edited by Lockhart

Looking how the Giants finished the 2005 season one can only be distressed. Dallas lost their LT (Flozell Adams) early in the season and never got untracked. That said their defense will be one of the NFL's best next season, while the offense will be good enough. The Eagles will not be the injury riddled team they were last season, and although they are not the same team as a few years ago - they aren't bad. The Redskins are up and coming, handling the Gaints easily late in the season. Take all that with the complete offensive collapse the Giants had, without any notable injuries and one wonders if the Gaints will simply get crushed. Plaxico and Shockey gave up on Eli, while the Giant QB looked lost and erratic for the last 6 games. The defens4es should beimproved, but it hard to say anything good about the Giant offense considering how they dinished the 2005 season.

I see them finishing 3rd in the NFC East behind the Cowboys and Redskins - both seem to be moving forward and both have veteran QBs that can pass. - Both those teams have MUCH better defenses than the Giants. Unless injuries hurt the Redskins or Cowboys, they should have little trouble defensing a Giant offense that cannot pass, and depends wholly on the 31 year-old Tiki Barber.

I've been up for like 3 hours and Lockhart is annoying me already.

Guest nosebleed
Looking how the Giants finished the 2005 season one can only be distressed. Dallas lost their LT (Flozell Adams) early in the season and never got untracked. That said their defense will be one of the NFL's best next season, while the offense will be good enough. The Eagles will not be the injury riddled team they were last season, and although they are not the same team as a few years ago - they aren't bad. The Redskins are up and coming, handling the Gaints easily late in the season. Take all that with the complete offensive collapse the Giants had, without any notable injuries and one wonders if the Gaints will simply get crushed. Plaxico and Shockey gave up on Eli, while the Giant QB looked lost and erratic for the last 6 games. The defense should be improved, but it is hard to say anything good about the Giant offense considering how they finished the 2005 season.

One must be concerned the way Pussyboy played down the stretch. He seemed to lack everything, from seeing the field correctly to inspiring his teammates.

A major problem is the way Pussyboy seems to get easily rattled. When he senses pressure, he looks like the student punching bag when he notices the school bully.

I sure as hell hope he is at home practicing with his brother Cooper, throwing footballs through tires.

Guest Lockhart
One must be concerned the way Pussyboy played down the stretch. He seemed to lack everything, from seeing the field correctly to inspiring his teammates.

A major problem is the way Pussyboy seems to get easily rattled. When he senses pressure, he looks like the student punching bag when he notices the school bully.

I sure as hell hope he is at home practicing with his brother Cooper, throwing footballs through tires.

.....ahem.....TRYING to throw footballs through tires. Watching his inaccuracy last year was painful - I don't remember seeing any NFL QB that was so far off-mark, so often. For the last 6 games Eli couldn't hit a receiver 5 yards from him - he was horrible, while his weak attempts at long passes were even worse - I thought Nancy Pelosi was throwing those passes.

Edited by Lockhart