No Room For Allen And Greisen.....

Guest nosebleed

Guest nosebleed

GIANTS

No room for Allen, Greisen

BY ARTHUR STAPLE

STAFF WRITER

February 16, 2006

Whether NFL free agency commences on March 3 or later, depending on the league's collective bargaining negotiations with the players' association, the Giants are willing to let cornerback Will Allen and linebacker Nick Greisen reach unrestricted free agency.

The Giants are negotiating with tackle Kendrick Clancy, who provided a pleasant surprise in his first year with the team and was inexpensive at $540,000. But Allen, who has started all but nine games in his five seasons with the Giants, and Greisen, who made 13 starts last season when the linebacking corps disintegrated because of injuries, are headed for the open market.

"You can't sign everyone," Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi said, even though the Giants did sign those players they deemed high priorities this year: Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey signed long extensions and Osi Umenyiora signed a long-term deal to keep him away from free agency after next season.

Those three players went to the Pro Bowl; Allen, despite being the best veteran corner the Giants had this year, hasn't gotten an extension offer, with two weeks until the likely start of free agency.

Greisen is a different case. The Giants would love to keep him because of the versatility he showed the last two seasons, stepping in at all three linebacker positions and playing capably. But after four years as a backup, Greisen wants to see if he can command starter's money.

"Nick wants to start and he wants to play inside [linebacker]," said Brad Leshnock, Greisen's agent. "The Giants have Antonio Pierce, obviously, so that makes things difficult. The door's not closed, but Nick wants to be a starting middle linebacker."

Pierce was in a similar position last year, having started only one season after four years with the Redskins. The Giants signed Pierce to a five-year, $26-million deal, and he was an instant success until torn ankle ligaments ended his season.

With Carlos Emmons, Barrett Green and Reggie Torbor still under contract, there's no room for Greisen unless he finds the open market barren and the Giants are still waiting to take him back at a reasonable price. Leshnock said neither side has made an offer, because the Giants know Greisen's desire to start.

"Nick likes New York, he's comfortable there, especially with the coaching staff," Leshnock said. "But he's earned the right to see what's out there."

GIANTS

No room for Allen, Greisen

BY ARTHUR STAPLE

STAFF WRITER

February 16, 2006

Whether NFL free agency commences on March 3 or later, depending on the league's collective bargaining negotiations with the players' association, the Giants are willing to let cornerback Will Allen and linebacker Nick Greisen reach unrestricted free agency.

The Giants are negotiating with tackle Kendrick Clancy, who provided a pleasant surprise in his first year with the team and was inexpensive at $540,000. But Allen, who has started all but nine games in his five seasons with the Giants, and Greisen, who made 13 starts last season when the linebacking corps disintegrated because of injuries, are headed for the open market.

"You can't sign everyone," Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi said, even though the Giants did sign those players they deemed high priorities this year: Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey signed long extensions and Osi Umenyiora signed a long-term deal to keep him away from free agency after next season.

Those three players went to the Pro Bowl; Allen, despite being the best veteran corner the Giants had this year, hasn't gotten an extension offer, with two weeks until the likely start of free agency.

Greisen is a different case. The Giants would love to keep him because of the versatility he showed the last two seasons, stepping in at all three linebacker positions and playing capably. But after four years as a backup, Greisen wants to see if he can command starter's money.

"Nick wants to start and he wants to play inside [linebacker]," said Brad Leshnock, Greisen's agent. "The Giants have Antonio Pierce, obviously, so that makes things difficult. The door's not closed, but Nick wants to be a starting middle linebacker."

Pierce was in a similar position last year, having started only one season after four years with the Redskins. The Giants signed Pierce to a five-year, $26-million deal, and he was an instant success until torn ankle ligaments ended his season.

With Carlos Emmons, Barrett Green and Reggie Torbor still under contract, there's no room for Greisen unless he finds the open market barren and the Giants are still waiting to take him back at a reasonable price. Leshnock said neither side has made an offer, because the Giants know Greisen's desire to start.

"Nick likes New York, he's comfortable there, especially with the coaching staff," Leshnock said. "But he's earned the right to see what's out there."

I love nick's motor and heart he certainly is durable but with the draft we can find a young LB

that has more speed and is more athletic for coverage. Its like the article says there is only so

much money and you cant sign everyone.

In my opinion, Greisen is much more valuable than that metal legged turd Emmons and a guy who has played ten games in two years.

Agreed. Unfortunately when we brought Emmons here, along with him came damaged merchandise (his made of glass body)

Guest nosebleed

Torbor, Pierce, and Greisen were a solid crew when together last year. Each were flying to the ball, making tackles in the backfield, something lacking when that metal legged waste was playing.

Cut ties with Emmons and Training Table Boy, they have been nothing but a disappointment since Ernie signed them.

Perhaps Ernie should have tried to keep Short and Jones. After signing Emmons and Green, it was supposed to be an upgrade. Well here we are again, two years later looking for more linebackers.

Edited by nosebleed

Torbor, Pierce, and Greisen were a solid crew when together last year. Each were flying to the ball, making tackles in the backfield, something lacking when that metal legged waste was playing.

Cut ties with Emmons and Training Table Boy, they have been nothing but a disappointment since Ernie signed them.

Perhaps Ernie should have tried to keep Short and Jones. After signing Emmons and Green, it was supposed to be an upgrade. Well here we are again, two years later looking for more linebackers.

I agree, Pierce played at a pro-bowl level last year, and Torbor showed that he can be a solid play at SLB for us....We need to look for a WILL either in FA or the early rounds of the draft...and if we can find a solid, young WLB, than we can have a good group of starting LB for a long time

Greisen will walk. We've known this for a while. He wants to be a starter and be paid starter's money, so it's a thanks but no thanks scenario.

I think there is a stronger chance that Will Allen stays than people think.

I'm beginning to think we should just focus on replenishing through the draft and make small moves. Well, the largest one may be a legit #2 QB

really, if we drop Green and Emmons we would have enough money to keep Griesen and get a good LB in the draft... I like that idea

Greisen will walk. We've known this for a while. He wants to be a starter and be paid starter's money, so it's a thanks but no thanks scenario.

I think there is a stronger chance that Will Allen stays than people think.

That would be fine with me if Allen stays.

That would be fine with me if Allen stays.

Same here. No problem for me if Allen stays on, but only for cheap, I don't think he deserves a big contract, and we should still bring in another vet or rookie to compete at CB, but Allen seems to get a bad rap. He is far better than anyone gives him credit for...

I agree. Not saying much but we all know Allen was our best cover corner of the year and if not for arguably one of the best WRs in football burning him in week 16 we wouldn't be that bad with him. Obviously, he won't be the playmaker we thought we were getting when we drafted him but he's a very good tackler, a major reason we didn't give up too many big rushing plays this season.

I'm beginning to think we should just focus on replenishing through the draft and make small moves. Well, the largest one may be a legit #2 QB

I'd say that's the Giants most likely course of action. They don't have the resources to make a big splash, so I would expect an offseason similar to 2004.

Giants won't have the cap room to get a big-name FA

Not necessarily true. Teams that are creative with contracts can always create room to make a big signing, and the Giants certainly can do that. However, doing so compromises both short and possibly long-term financial stability.

The Giants could go ahead and throw $35 million Nate Clements's way. But it would mean cutting Shaun Williams, Green, and Emmons, as well as letting Greisen and Allen walk. And after signing Clements, they may bot have the resources to replace lost assets with veterans.

really, if we drop Green and Emmons we would have enough money to keep Griesen and get a good LB in the draft... I like that idea

As it stands, the Giants have the available money to re-sign Greisen. The reason he'll walk is that the Giants don't want to overpay for him. You don't overpay for guys who aren't playmakers, and that should apply to both Greisen and Allen.

I do not expect a big name, in reality we could use some veteran help at some positions and replensih through the draft. CBA situation is interesting and could greatly impact the market. I am anxious to see who is cut and think that we can find a good solid S at a cheap price in FA. I think Green and or Emmons takes a pay cut and one goes. That money along with the cap money we have will go towards a LB. I love the idea of Ben Leber and he probably will not break the bank.

I do not expect a big name, in reality we could use some veteran help at some positions and replensih through the draft. CBA situation is interesting and could greatly impact the market. I am anxious to see who is cut and think that we can find a good solid S at a cheap price in FA. I think Green and or Emmons takes a pay cut and one goes. That money along with the cap money we have will go towards a LB. I love the idea of Ben Leber and he probably will not break the bank.

I'd like to take credit for the Ben Leber idea, but the credit belongs to my boy Y27 on the BBI site. I should get a cookie for bringing it to sportswrath, tough!

I'd like to take credit for the Ben Leber idea, but the credit belongs to my boy Y27 on the BBI site. I should get a cookie for bringing it to sportswrath, tough!

I read that on BBI as well, great call no matter who made it. I think priorities should be our depth and key positions. I think Whitfield, Tyree and Morton are as important to this roster as any player there is. The continuity to the roster as those spots is paramount and IMO, thats what winning teams are about. I expect Morton to be even better next year after 1 year removed from ACL, Tyree's play speaks for itself and I for one think he deserves a shot to at least compete for the #3 or #4 WR(his salary might dictate that anywaY due to his ST prowess) and Whitfields veteran leadership and understanding of the 2 positions on each side is such an asset. Not to mention the great lockeroom influence he was. I know things like this do not tweak peoples taste for the big names, but when you have a KR/PR that can win a game, a ST gunner that just makes constant plays and a veteran T, who can come in and play well and help win a game(see Philly,KC)that sometimes is the difference between playoff teams and teams that sit home.

In todays NFL you have to identify your own star players, get them signed, pray that you "identified" the right guys and fill your roster with guys that support the stars well and can be the difference in your record. Nate Clements at 35 mil and a 16 mil bonus does nothing for the overall roster of this team.

I read that on BBI as well, great call no matter who made it. I think priorities should be our depth and key positions. I think Whitfield, Tyree and Morton are as important to this roster as any player there is. The continuity to the roster as those spots is paramount and IMO, thats what winning teams are about. I expect Morton to be even better next year after 1 year removed from ACL, Tyree's play speaks for itself and I for one think he deserves a shot to at least compete for the #3 or #4 WR(his salary might dictate that anywaY due to his ST prowess) and Whitfields veteran leadership and understanding of the 2 positions on each side is such an asset. Not to mention the great lockeroom influence he was. I know things like this do not tweak peoples taste for the big names, but when you have a KR/PR that can win a game, a ST gunner that just makes constant plays and a veteran T, who can come in and play well and help win a game(see Philly,KC)that sometimes is the difference between playoff teams and teams that sit home.

In todays NFL you have to identify your own star players, get them signed, pray that you "identified" the right guys and fill your roster with guys that support the stars well and can be the difference in your record. Nate Clements at 35 mil and a 16 mil bonus does nothing for the overall roster of this team.

I agree 100% on Tyree, Whitfield, and Morton. As you might have noticed, I've probably been Morton's biggest supporter on our fair site. The guy is sure-handed as could be, and he has big play ability (3 PR's over 50 yards last year). Plus, he should have more speed and flexibility next year since he'll be almost 2 year sremoved from ACL surgery.

As for Clements, you're right that he won't help our overall roster. Like I mentioned in a previous post, signing Nate Clements is possible ... only you have to release/fail to re-sign some solid players....

I agree 100% on Tyree, Whitfield, and Morton. As you might have noticed, I've probably been Morton's biggest supporter on our fair site. The guy is sure-handed as could be, and he has big play ability (3 PR's over 50 yards last year). Plus, he should have more speed and flexibility next year since he'll be almost 2 year sremoved from ACL surgery.

As for Clements, you're right that he won't help our overall roster. Like I mentioned in a previous post, signing Nate Clements is possible ... only you have to release/fail to re-sign some solid players....

To take it a step further I think a healthy Morton could actually add something to the offense. Although never a great RB, he could afford Tiki some 3rd down rests on passing situations. I know Tiki is an asset as both a RB and 3rd down back, but he is getting older and getting him some needed rest at times could preserve him later on. of course this would not be every series, but the staff may be inclined at times to sit Tiki in certain situations at different points in the game. Morton is a decent 3rd down back. I like Morton too and think his PR abilities and sure handedness was the best we had since Megget(even better than Amani and Tiki when they did this as young players).

I do not want Nate Clements unless I am told I can get the above mentioned 3 players back signed first. A vet 3rd Wr would not bother me either.

The Giants are not a roster that needs star players to get over the top, we have them already in Strahan, OSI, Pierce, Shockey, Tiki, they are roster that needs good solid players around these guys to support their game.

Guest Lockhart

That is going to happen (as we FAB 4 members already have the inside scoop) - the Giants have realized the rror of their ways getting washed up veterans that are always hurt like Green and Emmons - cut'em and replace them - easy to do once the free agent LB list is known. These two ewere never that good and replacing them with almost ANY FA linebacker will be an upgrade. No need to spend big bucks to cover these training table busts.