SportsWrath

I'm scared

so-cal dub

He's looked pretty incredible and that's with him getting used to the MLB strike zone and the smaller baseballs (which he did use with positive results during the WBC). I'm trying not to be biased but from what I've seen of his work ethic, his pitches, his intelligence, and his competitiveness...this kid is going to be a Cy Young candidate for years to come. As with all pitchers, the key to staying around is making adjustments and he's seemed to do that well this spring training while also taking all the media and pressure in stride. I mean, of course, he's no Kei Igawa, but this guy should dominate for a while. As to his arm falling off? Pitchers today are coddled and all that has basically come from one single season where the A's rode their starters all season long and all had shoulder problems...but historically pitchers have been throwing rockets for 300 innings a season and suffered next to nothing. The Japanese believe in something called...correct me if I'm wrong...doryoku, or something like that, which is basically hard work and practice...the sort of team mentality that led to their WBC victory. Daisuke Matsuzaka is looking like the real thing and I'm hoping his work ethic rubs off on the team.

if Im a GM Im not spending $100 mill on anyone who is not Latin or a good old American honkie.

I agree with Midas, Andrew will be good, but not for a long time...bottom line...he will be waived or traded well before his contract is over

if Im a GM Im not spending $100 mill on anyone who is not Latin or a good old American honkie.

I agree with Midas, Andrew will be good, but not for a long time...bottom line...he will be waived or traded well before his contract is over

Andrew? Are we still talking about Daisuke Matsuzaka? I think that Red Sox nation will be in love with Matsuzaka for at least three years with there being a possibility of him losing favor, if he starts stinking up the joint (though I don't see that happening), afterwards. Pedro had our hearts in the beginning but lost it, as did Nomar...even Manny! Sox fans are fickle but as long as Matsuzaka continues what he did today, things are looking good.

Andrew? Are we still talking about Daisuke Matsuzaka? I think that Red Sox nation will be in love with Matsuzaka for at least three years with there being a possibility of him losing favor, if he starts stinking up the joint (though I don't see that happening), afterwards. Pedro had our hearts in the beginning but lost it, as did Nomar...even Manny! Sox fans are fickle but as long as Matsuzaka continues what he did today, things are looking good.

yes, Andrew Dice K. Like I said, he will be very good this year and possibly next year as well, but not long after. He has logged a ton of innings and thrown a ton of pitches in his already long career...he came out of HS to the majors in Japan. And to be fair, the royals are awful, their offense is so inexperienced, not really the team to judge him by, but he was very good. i dont mean to down play his outing, but you have to consider it.

yes, Andrew Dice K. Like I said, he will be very good this year and possibly next year as well, but not long after. He has logged a ton of innings and thrown a ton of pitches in his already long career...he came out of HS to the majors in Japan. And to be fair, the royals are awful, their offense is so inexperienced, not really the team to judge him by, but he was very good. i dont mean to down play his outing, but you have to consider it.

I understand where you're coming from but my argument has to be his sustained success in Japan and a career relatively free of major injuries. The Royals are a weaker offense, no doubt, but if you watched the game then you'd be as impressed as I am right now. The box score only says so much but he showed a lot of poise on the mound, a lot of movement on his pitches, good defense behind home plate, etc. Most importantly, he performed, and I have every reason to believe he'll be just as good. The pitches don't bother me that much because if you look in the past, some of these pitchers threw 300, 400 innings in prolonged careers. It's all mechanics to me and I think he has pretty good ones.

He's looked pretty incredible and that's with him getting used to the MLB strike zone and the smaller baseballs (which he did use with positive results during the WBC). I'm trying not to be biased but from what I've seen of his work ethic, his pitches, his intelligence, and his competitiveness...this kid is going to be a Cy Young candidate for years to come. As with all pitchers, the key to staying around is making adjustments and he's seemed to do that well this spring training while also taking all the media and pressure in stride. I mean, of course, he's no Kei Igawa, but this guy should dominate for a while. As to his arm falling off? Pitchers today are coddled and all that has basically come from one single season where the A's rode their starters all season long and all had shoulder problems...but historically pitchers have been throwing rockets for 300 innings a season and suffered next to nothing. The Japanese believe in something called...correct me if I'm wrong...doryoku, or something like that, which is basically hard work and practice...the sort of team mentality that led to their WBC victory. Daisuke Matsuzaka is looking like the real thing and I'm hoping his work ethic rubs off on the team.

I hear what you saying, and for his first outing he was amazing. But his work history really bothers me. I mean he would throw like 300 pitches in a bull pen session. Yea pitchers today are cuddeled, but the amount of pitches he has already thrown in his career is crazy. I just don't see him being dominant for 5 years plus, 2 or 3 years he may be Santana, but at some point with the amount of work he has put in, he's gotta fall off.

Dice-K can make like pedro did in his later years. He has impeccable (spell?) control so he'll be able to make a living off of that once his fastballs lowers to high 80s lower 90s sort of like pedro did.

I believe in Daisuke Matsuzaka more than I ever did before...especially with his poise, control, and ability to handle the pressure. Highly doubtful? Haha. This kid is real and I dare you to find anyone in baseball who disagrees with me. When fans blabber on, it's one thing, but baseball players and management from both the Red Sox and all over the sport have been singing his praises.