SportsWrath

OBJ's GQ Interview

Iceman_NYG

Did you guys catch that shit? He does seem very fucking upset about how the Giants handled the trade. When he called Gettleman DG told him "Yeah i heard".....seriously?? Thats how you do this???

He didnt have to say everything that he did but I didnt find anything wrong in it if what he said is true about how the Giants handled it.

Yeah, if you follow his narrative, he's 'pissed' he wasn't told face to face.... while he was in Paris...

And his shit about the Giants only being on TV because of him, omg...

The more he talks the more I understand why he had to go.

He may just be a weird, self centered dude... He may be legit nuts....

I have no problem with what Collins has said about that Giants.

I think the trade has really put a dent into OBJs ego I mean a team throws you one if the largest contracts a WR has signed and then turns around and trade you the year after a good year.

Just never seen before in the NFL really. I mean at least Brown was a cock bag who was disrubtive to the team, OBJ never did anything outside of calling Eli old lol

Also he has a point.

Brady acts like a fucking clown on the field when the Patriots are losing.

Yellibg at coahces, team mates, refs, throwing his helmet around like a spoiled kid and literally no one says anything.

OBJ is critical of the team losing and it's "OMG he's a headcase and cancer he's obviously disturbed"

Only problems with OBJ:

1. Boat party - though I chalk this up to immaturity, I think it distracted and ultimately was a detriment.

2. On field stuff - the fight with Norman, the penalties for stupid celebrations, the albeit rare taking plays off. Note I exclude sideline frustration stuff.

3. Celebrity stuff - I'm down with guys creating a brand right up until that becomes the priority over football. OBJ loves the game, but he has allowed celebrity to become more important, evidenced by his "they come to watch me" comment

Also he has a point.

Brady acts like a fucking clown on the field when the Patriots are losing.

Yellibg at coahces, team mates, refs, throwing his helmet around like a spoiled kid and literally no one says anything.

OBJ is critical of the team losing and it's "OMG he's a headcase and cancer he's obviously disturbed"

Sort of.... but I think that level of hyperbole regarding Beckham exists only in his own mind.

It was never his frustration with losing that made me suspect he may be a head case.

Oh, and the other thing that stood out to me in the interview.... He was complaining that he only got seven targets in the GB playoff loss. He was so bad that game, far and away the worst I've ever seen him play, his drops of perfectly thrown passes, including two (should have been) TDs, were the difference in the game.... But he's pointing the finger at not getting enough targets?

Ok --- no hate, I am going to be watching him play and rooting for him on and off the field --- but he may need some help. He sounds like he's suffering from a narcissistic personality disorder.

But again, he's gone...he and we should move on.

As for Collins, I think if there had been any attempt to resign him...even if nowhere close to what he ended up getting, his attitude might be different. They moved up in the draft to get him, he played well, and to not even get a sniff of a contract...that is a bit insulting. But again, it's done, it's been done for a while...move on

I have no problem with what Collins has said about that Giants.

I think the trade has really put a dent into OBJs ego I mean a team throws you one if the largest contracts a WR has signed and then turns around and trade you the year after a good year.

Just never seen before in the NFL really. I mean at least Brown was a cock bag who was disrubtive to the team, OBJ never did anything outside of calling Eli old lol

It's a business... the Giants threw a huge contract at him in order to secure his services... that meant trade value... if they didn't resign him, they would have lost him in FA anyway... That was a very smart move on DG's part...

Now, him saying he's the only reason the fans showed up is pure horseshit... he should be feeling lucky being where he is making millions for one skill (catching the ball). Many kids out there never get the chance to do anything because of dysfunctional families etc... This is a business.. and the Giants made the best of it... they're not where the Browns are (the brows sucked donkey balls for years and years).. the Browns now have a chance to do something special... The Giants are rebuilding... OBJ should thank DG for trading him...

It's a business... the Giants threw a huge contract at him in order to secure his services... that meant trade value... if they didn't resign him, they would have lost him in FA anyway... That was a very smart move on DG's part...

Now, him saying he's the only reason the fans showed up is pure horseshit... he should be feeling lucky being where he is making millions for one skill (catching the ball). Many kids out there never get the chance to do anything because of dysfunctional families etc... This is a business.. and the Giants made the best of it... they're not where the Browns are (the brows sucked donkey balls for years and years).. the Browns now have a chance to do something special... The Giants are rebuilding... OBJ should thank DG for trading him...

I'm not saying it isn't a business I'm just saying you could of traded him when the dead cap wouldn't of been 65 plus million.

The Giants got caught with their pants down and traded OBJ for just good awful value after they realized they wanted to trade him.

DG and the Giants handeled the situation horribly and I can't see how anyone can say otherwise.

But that's what you get when you're a desperate team trying to build a contender you make decisions and pray they work out.

I'm not saying it isn't a business I'm just saying you could of traded him when the dead cap wouldn't of been 65 plus million.

The Giants got caught with their pants down and traded OBJ for just good awful value after they realized they wanted to trade him.

DG and the Giants handeled the situation horribly and I can't see how anyone can say otherwise.

But that's what you get when you're a desperate team trying to build a contender you make decisions and pray they work out.

Isn't Beckhams dead cap allocation closer to $16 million?

And if the Giants handled that situation horribly, what words do we have left to describe what happened to the Steelers with Antonio Brown?

Obviously the Giants estimation of Beckhams value to the team changed.... Those things are fluid, not sure I'm happy with the value we got back either (read: not happy), but it makes little sense to latch on to an out of date valuation of a player.

Also, in the interview, I'm confused on who Beckham said 'I heard' about the trade.... He refers to 'coach', so was that Shurmur? Rumor has it, Shurmur put together a PowerPoint to convince ownership to sign off on trading Beckham.

And if the Giants handled that situation horribly, what words do we have left to describe what happened to the Steelers with Antonio Brown?

Obviously the Giants estimation of Beckhams value to the team changed.... Those things are fluid, not sure I'm happy with the value we got back either (read: not happy), but it makes little sense to latch on to an out of date valuation of a player.

Also, in the interview, I'm confused on who Beckham said 'I heard' about the trade.... He refers to 'coach', so was that Shurmur? Rumor has it, Shurmur put together a PowerPoint to convince ownership to sign off on trading Beckham.

The problem with your comparison to Browns is that Brown wanted off the Steelers and was getting into arguments with the team in the locker room, not to mention he basically benched himself the final week for the season by not showing up to any practice.

OBJ showed up and did what again to that effect? Did he ever ask to be released? Was he getting into fights in the locker room? Outside of the mysterious benching circumstances which I assume has more to do with the Giants trying to prevent injury to a player they planned on trading.

The Steelers made it known they wanted Brown gone due to his actions and took the first offer they could get, teams knew they were desperate to trade the disgruntled WR.

The Giants activley shopped OBJ trying to get teams to pony up a package worthy of a top 5 WR.

Instead they had to settle for table scraps from the Browns in project safety and a 1st round pick not even inside the top 15 lol

The problem with your comparison to Browns is that Brown wanted off the Steelers and was getting into arguments with the team in the locker room, not to mention he basically benched himself the final week for the season by not showing up to any practice.

OBJ showed up and did what again to that effect? Did he ever ask to be released? Was he getting into fights in the locker room? Outside of the mysterious benching circumstances which I assume has more to do with the Giants trying to prevent injury to a player they planned on trading.

The Steelers made it known they wanted Brown gone due to his actions and took the first offer they could get, teams knew they were desperate to trade the disgruntled WR.

The Giants activley shopped OBJ trying to get teams to pony up a package worthy of a top 5 WR.

Instead they had to settle for table scraps from the Browns in project safety and a 1st round pick not even inside the top 15 lol

No doubt Brown's asshole quotient is far higher than Beckham's. With any foresight the Steelers could have, should have, sold high on Brown two seasons ago and they would be better off today for it.

Point being, if the Giants handled Beckham horribly, what new word or phrase do we have to invent to describe what went down in Pittsburgh? A monument to clusterfuckitude?

I think we'll learn in the long run that the real problem there, or equal share at least, stems from Roethlisberger's attitude issues. Dude is an unrepentant ass.

No doubt Brown's asshole quotient is far higher than Beckham's. With any foresight the Steelers could have, should have, sold high on Brown two seasons ago and they would be better off today for it.

Point being, if the Giants handled Beckham horribly, what new word or phrase do we have to invent to describe what went down in Pittsburgh? A monument to clusterfuckitude?

I think we'll learn in the long run that the real problem there, or equal share at least, stems from Roethlisberger's attitude issues. Dude is an unrepentant ass.

It was desperation is the word I would use.

They needed to get rid of Brown and the NFL knew it, they were in a lame horse situation and the buyers had all the power and the Raiders offered the only deal worth while apparently.

The Giants were in the opposite position they were trying to sell a top WR to teams that didn't have any interest after the new contract was signed which once again proves how big of a fuck up the Giants and DG were for handling the situation. There was no one biting this offseason expect for the Browns.

They would of been able to literally rob the blind and get a Kings ransom from the Browns and instead had to settle for an offer the Browns wanted not the other way around.

Rumours are the Giants wanted the top 5 pick and wouldn't settle for less once DG showed his hand that he was willing to budge the Browns offered the petty package of a somewhat alright starting safety and a first round pick.

DG got hosed and the Giants were made to look silly with what they did. A year ago was the time to trade OBJ when the team like the Patiriots were willing to spare two first round picks and more.

Not after the guy signs the contract that he did.

But it's over they did what they did it just was beyond idiotic and horribly mismanaged like the Brown situation.

I think we got pretty good value... Now I'm not sure how dead cap is handled.. it's not like the organization loses that money.. just can't use it to sign others... big woop.. ok.. I think by signing him to a deal he was going to get as a free agent anyway, we basically held his rights and therefore were able to trade him.... we got 2 good players and unloaded a massive contract... how's that not a good deal, I have no idea.

I think we got pretty good value... Now I'm not sure how dead cap is handled.. it's not like the organization loses that money.. just can't use it to sign others... big woop.. ok.. I think by signing him to a deal he was going to get as a free agent anyway, we basically held his rights and therefore were able to trade him.... we got 2 good players and unloaded a massive contract... how's that not a good deal, I have no idea.

Zeitler was traded for Vernon.

Peppers still hasn't proven anything, other than he's a better returner than safety so far in the NFL.

So we got rid of OBJ's contract, which is still nothing compared to Elis/Solder or Jenkins cap hits, to then pay Barkley and probably Hernedez contracts which will take up a large amount of cap space. Should they be traded too once they happens or do you expect players to play for nothing?

Dead cap is the remainder of the signing bonus accelerated into one year. So instead of it being 4 mil per year + his other bonuses + his salary every year for 5 years it was only like that last season and the remaining 16 mil is dead money this year

I say again, I feel bad for the browns. They'll be lucky if they get 10 games out of him per year.

I wonder how that team would handle adversity... too many Diva's including their QB.

It was desperation is the word I would use.

They needed to get rid of Brown and the NFL knew it, they were in a lame horse situation and the buyers had all the power and the Raiders offered the only deal worth while apparently.

The Giants were in the opposite position they were trying to sell a top WR to teams that didn't have any interest after the new contract was signed which once again proves how big of a fuck up the Giants and DG were for handling the situation. there was no one biting this offseason expect for the Browns.

They would of been able to literally rob the blind and get a Kings ransom from the Browns and instead had to settle for an offer the Browns wanted not the other way around.

Rumours are the Giants wanted the top 5 pick and wouldn't settle for less once DG showed his hand that he was willing to budge the Browns offered the petty package of a somewhat alright starting safety and a first round pick.

DG got hosed and the Giants were made to look silly with what they did. A year ago was the time to trade OBJ when the team like the Patiriots were willing to spare two first round picks and more.

Not after the guy signs the contract that he did.

But it's over they did what they did it just was beyond idiotic and horribly mismanaged like the Brown situation.

Well you said it, Brown was a desperation situation. Not sure why you're treating that as a mitigating circumstance though - getting themselves into the desperate situation is how they failed.

And I think you're way overestimating Beckham's value, while also forgetting there were offers from teams other than the Browns (49ers for certain).

Furthermore, he was worth more after he signed the contract. By locking him up and paying the signing bonus, that was like offering up cap cash to take him off our hands. As an unsigned player he would have needed to be franchised or to sign a new deal, a much less favorable situation for a new team.

In retrospect, it occurs to me his was a very trade friendly deal. No no-trade clause, relatively small up front signing bonus and guaranteed salary. They may have known they intended to trade him when they signed him.

I feel kind of silly arguing from the middle, but it wasn't a huge contract at all (again, only $16 million in dead cap - not $65 million, lol! - that would be a huge contract), and we have no idea yet if any of the players we got back are any good at all.

(although, I think we're going to love Lawrence.... dude looks like a monster football player)

Does he really believe the only reason they were on TV is because of him? My goodness, how does he walk around carrying that ego? Truth is, as good as he is, it never translated into anything special as far as the team was concerned. The one chance he had to enter into greatness, he completely blew it. I don't think the Miami trip had anything to do with that either. Could very well be that he just chokes in big games. Surprised he even made it that far into the season without getting hurt.

The only complaint I agree with is we should have traded him sooner.

Please for the love of God, please let the Giants have a great year. If for nothing more then to show him he wasn't anywhere near as special or important as he believes he is.

I feel kind of silly arguing from the middle, but it wasn't a huge contract at all (again, only $16 million in dead cap - not $65 million, lol! - that would be a huge contract), and we have no idea yet if any of the players we got back are any good at all.

(although, I think we're going to love Lawrence.... dude looks like a monster football player)

I mean the 60 million over the course of the two years, I didnt take into account the remaining time on his contract with the Browns, so subtract 25+ or so from it.

I still don't understand why people think we off loaded some massive contract.

The top three cap hits on the team still are Eli/Solder/Jenkins and now Tate is actually up there as well with the guaranteed money.

Well you said it, Brown was a desperation situation. Not sure why you're treating that as a mitigating circumstance though - getting themselves into the desperate situation is how they failed.

And I think you're way overestimating Beckham's value, while also forgetting there were offers from teams other than the Browns (49ers for certain).

Furthermore, he was worth more after he signed the contract. By locking him up and paying the signing bonus, that was like offering up cap cash to take him off our hands. As an unsigned player he would have needed to be franchised or to sign a new deal, a much less favorable situation for a new team.

In retrospect, it occurs to me his was a very trade friendly deal. No no-trade clause, relatively small up front signing bonus and guaranteed salary. They may have known they intended to trade him when they signed him.

How so? I already said the Browns messed the whole situation up and handled it as bad as the Giants handled OBJ.

I think OBJ would of fetched more if a team could give them a contract they would want, not one already laid out by the Giants.

Some team could of easily given the Giants more THEN resigned him, look at what the Raiders did with Brown for example, and would of been in a better position.

It's not a hidden fact teams would much rather take a player on with a contract they negotiated instead of trying to work around one.

It's one of the good things about the OBJ trade, Peppers is still on his rookie contract, he fails they can let him go without any repercussion, he succeeds, then they can pay him with that 80+ million cap space they'll have on a contract they negotiate.