SportsWrath

WTF???

Ditto

Believe me, I'm psyched about him pitching the no-hitter and the development I'm seeing. However, I'm still hesitant to call them studs just yet. Lots of good things have been said about Buchholz, but he needs to throw more strikes and start trusting his stuff. As for Lester, he seems to have turned the professional corner (of course, now I jinxed him and he'll have 3 bad starts in a row), but I just want to see him keep it up. That, and it's still real early.

Also, if I post here, I feel like I'm talking to myself. I don't feel like even Lorf comes here enough for it to be worth my while.

Believe me, I'm psyched about him pitching the no-hitter and the development I'm seeing. However, I'm still hesitant to call them studs just yet. Lots of good things have been said about Buchholz, but he needs to throw more strikes and start trusting his stuff. As for Lester, he seems to have turned the professional corner (of course, now I jinxed him and he'll have 3 bad starts in a row), but I just want to see him keep it up. That, and it's still real early.

Also, if I post here, I feel like I'm talking to myself. I don't feel like even Lorf comes here enough for it to be worth my while.

It's difficult because I don't see the need to update everyone. But yes, let's discuss baseball. Buchholz is probably going back to AAA after this DL stint which is for the best. He's gonna miss this upcoming road trip and have a couple of rehab starts in AAA. Jayson Stark's article on ESPN today has a section with scout's rumblings and they mention the following about Buchholz:

• Clay Buchholz: "Of all the guys on that staff, he's the guy I'd be concerned with. He's got a live fastball, but he's not using it. He wants to throw all his breaking stuff and all his off-speed stuff all of a sudden, and I don't understand why. I think some kids feel like the league's caught up with them, so they have to change. But I don't think this kid has to change as much as he has."

It seems like the issue is maturity and experience, as with all young guys, rather than stuff. As for Lester, this is an incredibly encouraging sign. I know they mention it again and again but every day is yet another day further removed from cancer and chemotherapy. Lester started the game in the 91-92 range and got progressively stronger, ending with a 96 MPH fastball. Just knowing that Lester can dial it up that high is a shock considering I'm used to him tossing in the low 90's. His last four starts are trending positively but he has to prove that he can limit the walks.

Overall, this is incredible what we've seen. Toss in Masterson and the Red Sox young pitchers have all impressed. But seriously, Buchholz and Lester with no-hitters, Varitek catching four. Some unheralded heroes are Remy and Orsillo (and maybe McDonough for Nomo's) who have successfully done four no hitters. National TV would've ruined it by the fifth or sixth inning.