SportsWrath

QB prospect comparison

Nas

the Giants aren't exactly qb experts...and the staff evaluating him was incompetent. So who knows what Davis Webb is or could be.

I don't trust the Reese regime in any aspect

Non QB experts probably don't pick good QBs then

And isn't Webb better than Mayfield?

Mayfield got better, he also went to a better program for his talent.

I don't know, if Webb went to another year of grad school, is it possible that we are talking about him being the best qb in this year's draft?

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

*2013 Texas Tech Big 12 FR QB 10 226 361 62.6 2718 7.5 7.5 20 9 139.1

2014 Texas Tech Big 12 SO QB 8 211 345 61.2 2539 7.4 7.1 24 13 138.4

*2015 Texas Tech Big 12 JR QB 5 22 41 53.7 300 7.3 8.3 2 0 131.2

2016 California Pac-12 SR QB 12 382 620 61.6 4295 6.9 7.3 37 12 135.6

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/davis-webb-1.html

Webb's stats above... now compare that to my original post:

Saw in the NY Post today a chart comparing Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen.

Mayfield is clearly the best.... 70.5% completion, 4,600 yards... 43 TDs to only 6 INTs....

Rosen and Donald both have 63% completion %, 3800 and 4100 yards respectively, each had 26 TDs, and 10 & 13 INTs respectively.....

I dont care Mayfield is 6 1.... hes far better and the stats prove it.

Non QB experts probably don't pick good QBs then

Baker Mayfield, one of the top Qb's in this draft was his backpack. So, if he was better than him in college, he is probably better than him. Not saying either will be NFL quarterbacks, but Webb was better than Mayfield

Baker Mayfield, one of the top Qb's in this draft was his backpack. So, if he was better than him in college, he is probably better than him. Not saying either will be NFL quarterbacks, but Webb was better than Mayfield

That's not how it works.

obviously..see cam Newton and Tom brady.

My point being is that we might have the best qb prospect already and drafting another would be superfluous

While possible, and I hope the new staff does their due diligence on Webb, banking on a third rd pick to be the next franchise qb and passing on a highly rated prospect at number two seems dangerous.

I guess it comes down to this, which do you prefer?

The possibility of making a super bowl run in the next two years with Eli and hoping either Webb is the real deal or we can find the real deal in coming drafts...

Or drafting the next Eli manning.

To me the risk is greater in the first scenario.

While possible, and I hope the new staff does their due diligence on Webb, banking on a third rd pick to be the next franchise qb and passing on a highly rated prospect at number two seems dangerous.

I guess it comes down to this, which do you prefer?

The possibility of making a super bowl run in the next two years with Eli and hoping either Webb is the real deal or we can find the real deal in coming drafts...

Or drafting the next Eli manning.

To me the risk is greater in the first scenario.

I don't think we can go wrong either way.... I think Webb could have been easily at 1st round pick had he played somewhere else... his stats at least his SR year is better than Rosen and Darnold.... And drafting Barkely wouldn't be be too bad either...

I don't think we can go wrong either way.... I think Webb could have been easily at 1st round pick had he played somewhere else... his stats at least his SR year is better than Rosen and Darnold.... And drafting Barkely wouldn't be be too bad either..

? yeah because Berkeley never produces 1st round QB's oh except this:

Cal has had six QBs drafted in the first round, most of any college football program

If we think we have the next franchise QB available at #2 in this draft, then I say we take him. If not, trade down and stock up on OL, LB, and DBs in the draft.

You don't simply pass on a potential franchise QB, particularly with your current QB winding down his career, and given the uncertainty around Webb (we don't know what Webb is).

I posted a breakdown of current starting qbs in another thread.

Agreed....RG3 and S. Bradford were also both H winners with big numbers playing spread offenses in the Big 12....one is out of league and the other is on his way....1 Pro-Bowl between them.

Pass. ...Big 12 is not a QB league....Tannahill only other guy in league.........Freeman is the only other guy to start in last 10 years. The best qb in that league...was Aikman..and he got chased out of OU to UCLA for....Jamalle Holloway.....yeah...that happened in the Big 12.

PAC 12...on the other hand... is the shit.....PAC12 guys...still in the league.....Andrew Luck....Carson Palmer....Aaron Rodgers....Mariota.

I am down with Rosen.

C. Wagon

I really don't see the urgency to draft a QB when we have a perfectly capable, although aging qb signed and a highly regarded prospect already under contract.

I understand the urgency but wish we could fix other fatal weakness first. I think Webb is highly regarded by the team and the fans; everyone else is trying to figure out why that is. The team also holds Ereck Flowers in high regard yet the fans are ready to move on or at least move him over.

For me it is the Combination of an aging Eli and once in a generation draft slot with the very high likelihood of one of the most highly touted prospects in years falling to us in Rosen.

Eli should be the starter in 2018 and if this team is run ready than giving the oline and a few other key acquisitions should put us in position.

I liked the Webb pick, but he's still a third round pick that's never seen nfl action, even after ending Eli's streak he never took a snap. He's a total unknown to the incoming staff with little time to evaluate him. He may be a starter in the wings, but do we bank that by passing on a clear succession plan and potentially 30 years of franchise qb play between Eli and, say, Rosen? That's a big risk to me when we're staying a gift horse in the mouth. An embarrassment of bad luck and poor timing drops us into a situation to draft Eli's successor at nearly the exact right moment in his career and gives a rookie qb at least one year to learn behind one of the best, not only on the field, but in dealing with the new York pressure. It's just too much to pass over for me...for the hopes that either Webb is the successor our we find him at a likely much lower draft spot next year.

DRC and Collins both said there is no need to draft a QB, that Web was the guy. I really don't know what to think about that, but it definitely doesn't hurt his case. One thing for sure they wouldn't have said it if they didn't think it was true, and the kid did get some first team practice reps.

It would be great if we didn't have to get a QB first round.

I understand the urgency but wish we could fix other fatal weakness first. I think Webb is highly regarded by the team and the fans; everyone else is trying to figure out why that is. The team also holds Ereck Flowers in high regard yet the fans are ready to move on or at least move him over.

The team must hold Erica Flowers in high regard for something other than his gameplay.

That being said...Baker does have some game.

https://nypost.com/201801/05/baker-mayfield-flaunts-instagram-beauty-ahead-of-nfl-draft/

C> Wagon

game? He plays on national TV all the time, regarded as a top NFL prospect and will make millions..if anyone has game, it's the horse faced blond, not baker

For me it is the Combination of an aging Eli and once in a generation draft slot with the very high likelihood of one of the most highly touted prospects in years falling to us in Rosen.

Eli should be the starter in 2018 and if this team is run ready than giving the oline and a few other key acquisitions should put us in position.

I liked the Webb pick, but he's still a third round pick that's never seen nfl action, even after ending Eli's streak he never took a snap. He's a total unknown to the incoming staff with little time to evaluate him. He may be a starter in the wings, but do we bank that by passing on a clear succession plan and potentially 30 years of franchise qb play between Eli and, say, Rosen? That's a big risk to me when we're staying a gift horse in the mouth. An embarrassment of bad luck and poor timing drops us into a situation to draft Eli's successor at nearly the exact right moment in his career and gives a rookie qb at least one year to learn behind one of the best, not only on the field, but in dealing with the new York pressure. It's just too much to pass over for me...for the hopes that either Webb is the successor our we find him at a likely much lower draft spot next year.

I just don't see how Webb is unknown yet Rosen is.... I see them on equal footing... 3rd round or not.

I just don't see how Webb is unknown yet Rosen is.... I see them on equal footing... 3rd round or not.

I'd go as far as saying Webb has a leg up on any qb drafted...he has played with an NFL first team, seen the speed of the game and been tutoring under a two time super bowl winning qb.

Advantage Webb

I don't claim to be a college guru..in fact, I don't know anything about college sports other than they're painful to watch. But saying a college kid is not an unknown is ridiculous.

The difference between college and the pros are huge..it's completely different. Guys are much faster, bigger, stronger, smarter et cetera.

All draft picks are prospects and that's all

I'd go as far as saying Webb has a leg up on any qb drafted...he has played with an NFL first team, seen the speed of the game and been tutoring under a two time super bowl winning qb.

Advantage Webb

Plus Webb has the "I'm a goofy looking mother fucker" thing that works so well for all great Giants QBs. Eli, Simms, YA.