SportsWrath

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: Week 1

Treehugger

The Good:

- Run D was very solid, great even until they started wearing down in the 4th (15 net yards of the 1st 15 rush attempts).

- Mook! Kid's a stud, fantastic play coming across the field to deny Megatron a big gain.

The Bad:

- TE Seam Route is the new Inside Draw? Not much was working for the O but if you keep using the same play you're asking for a pick.

- Pass rush? Hello? One near miss by Moore and he's benched? I didn't see him after that (hopefully I'm wrong).

- Someone switched Cruz's gloves with Manningham's leftovers.

The Ugly:

- Pretty much everything else. OLine is horrible but what exactly is McAdoo's new system? I didn't realise "West Coast" meant "throw 5 yards short of the 1st down".

- Quinn you handsome sumbitch!

Good -

• Donnell's play... moved well, and showed good hands.
  • I also like the way the entire defense competed. They were swarming in run defense, and even the secondary was valiant in contesting balls and forcing some would be completions out of receivers' hands. A couple of busted coverages more of a result of zone coverage and rushing 3; not getting any pressure... You can't cover these guys that long. Detroit also made some very difficult catches, particularly Golden Tate.
  • Rashad Jennings - Ran really hard, fought for every yard, ball security, and overall looked like the toughest player on offense.

Bad -

• Victor Cruz - a couple of times balls bounced off his hands, and he didn't try to come back for the ball that resulted in an INT. Protect your QB, Victor.
  • Jernigan - what does he do well again?
  • Special Teams - Allowed too much pressure on Weatherford, and got him injured.
  • Fewell - gets away from bringing pressure on 3rd and long... and ends up giving up big gainers for 1st downs. I will NEVER understand a 3 man rush outside of a hail mary attempt. Just stupid, and this after seeing it not work plenty of times in the past.

Ugly -

• Rueben Randle - complete non-factor. 1 yard receiving... on 2 catches? Pathetic. Need MUCH more from your X-receiver.
  • 3/5ths of the offensive line: Beatty, Walton, and Jerry. You guys stink, particularly in pass-pro. Pitiful performance.

And I have no idea where to put Eli. He certainly didn't play a perfect game, but I saw him throw some really good balls, step into his passes, that I really liked. But the results were terrible. But where should the blame be with receivers this bad and an O-line that can't pass block?

I am not going to list anything, but all sides were horrible. The defense actually looked decent at times and if the offense were able to put more points on the board, maybe they would have made more stops. Maybe with Eli so far into his career, maybe it wasn't such a great idea bringing in a new system.

WCO is a lot of short passes, but surely you're still trying to get a 1st down. It seemed like they were constantly hitting to 3-5 yard routes on 3rd down when they needed 8-10.

At least they were doing it fast!

It's all about letting the receiver create with the ball in his hand

Hey, he was the Anti-Nicks...remember the Avatar of All Things Ever Wrong With a Wide Receiver Nicks... :rolleyes:

To be fair Nicks mailed it in... whatever his problem was... having said that, Randle is def not the answer... dude has 2 left feet.

lol oh right. how's that working out for everyone

Ya know it... GOD for someone who was a big part of our offense...helped us win the Super Bowl... wow talk about how someone was literally run out of town as if he were the reincarnation of Mr. Let Me Shoot Myself in the Leg... :D Why does Cruz look like a moving blanket? Cause he is a slot receiver without a recognized/respected deep threat opposite him. Someone who has watched near 50 years of Giants football I have never seen a better or smoother receiving threat on this team than Nicks...

Ya know it... GOD for someone who was a big part of our offense...helped us win the Super Bowl... wow talk about how someone was literally run out of town as if he were the reincarnation of Mr. Let Me Shoot Myself in the Leg... :D Why does Cruz look like a moving blanket? Cause he is a slot receiver without a recognized/respected deep threat opposite him. Someone who has watched near 50 years of Giants football I have never seen a better or smoother receiving threat on this team than Nicks...

Yeah but he didnt have a good year after being rushed back from injuries and surgery.

I mean in one game he has more receptions, TDs and yards then any of our WRs, I guess having a QB who throws to you and an OC who understands you don't make someone coming back from a major foot injury run go routes every fucking play.

I said it when we paid Cruz, we gave the money to the wrong WR and now a we have a slot WR who's more interested in selling his clothing line then trying to prove he's worth something like Nicks.

As you can tell I'm still pretty fucking pissed we got rid of one of the most talented WRs the Giants have had.

The Good: The Defense has potential, showed flashes.

Donnell Looks like a legit threat at TE.

Up tempo offense, when Beckam gets on the field and the O gets it's shit together, things could be okay.

Aggressiveness on goalline O

The Bad: I don't know if it was blown coverage by the sfties or if DRC looked that bad or if it was just Megatron, but something was off on his side of the field.

Inconsitancy on the Dline.

Inability to commit to the running game

The Ugly: The offensive line

Lack of familiarity with offensive system/each other. Not knowing what the hand signals mean, not looking for and not catching the ball.

D will be ok ........in fact it will be very good this year ( IMO )

O needs a few more weeks to gel ( especially the line ) ......but will end up being better than last year.

Eli looks like he is in decline ........and im getting a bit fed up of his fucking excuses in press conferences.

im sticking with 8-8 for now .....there is still some hope

UK

I think we've debated Nicks quite a bit... we know the Giants FO and ownership aren't made of scum bags... why Nicks decided to mail it in last year is beyond me... all he had to do was to play like the Nicks we knew and he was going to get his payday.. instead he went the other way.. not showing up when it mattered most... he had no desire to be part of the Giants anymore... and I'm not going to worship a guy because of a God given talent he had... You will be hard pressed to find anyone here to didn't want Nicks to stay... well the Nicks we drafted in the first round not the Nicks who was so jealous of Cruz that he decided not to show up last year.

Good -

• Donnell's play... moved well, and showed good hands.
  • I also like the way the entire defense competed. They were swarming in run defense, and even the secondary was valiant in contesting balls and forcing some would be completions out of receivers' hands. A couple of busted coverages more of a result of zone coverage and rushing 3; not getting any pressure... You can't cover these guys that long. Detroit also made some very difficult catches, particularly Golden Tate.
  • Rashad Jennings - Ran really hard, fought for every yard, ball security, and overall looked like the toughest player on offense.

Bad -

• Victor Cruz - a couple of times balls bounced off his hands, and he didn't try to come back for the ball that resulted in an INT. Protect your QB, Victor.
  • Jernigan - what does he do well again?
  • Special Teams - Allowed too much pressure on Weatherford, and got him injured.
  • Fewell - gets away from bringing pressure on 3rd and long... and ends up giving up big gainers for 1st downs. I will NEVER understand a 3 man rush outside of a hail mary attempt. Just stupid, and this after seeing it not work plenty of times in the past.

Ugly -

• Rueben Randle - complete non-factor. 1 yard receiving... on 2 catches? Pathetic. Need MUCH more from your X-receiver.
  • 3/5ths of the offensive line: Beatty, Walton, and Jerry. You guys stink, particularly in pass-pro. Pitiful performance.

And I have no idea where to put Eli. He certainly didn't play a perfect game, but I saw him throw some really good balls, step into his passes, that I really liked. But the results were terrible. But where should the blame be with receivers this bad and an O-line that can't pass block?

Eli had no business throwing that duck on INT... seriously.. we know he's not the most accurate QB so either throw to the outside... away... or just take a fucking sack. Eli sucked camel dick Monday night.

lol nicks has nothing to be jealous about other than that stupid contract the giants gave cruz (he makes more than antonio brown LOL). he produced before cruz and he's now producing without cruz. cruz on the other hand can't produce without nicks as we saw a few times the last couple of years and then again on sunday. sure were a lot of guys around him!

if you and others want to keep pushing this ridiculous notion that nicks is the first athlete ever to not try during a contract season then by all means have fun. all i know is that the second he got out of the giants' toxic situation and actually got the ball thrown accurately to him he caught all his targets, scored a TD and was a half yard away from a 2nd TD. the proof is in the pudding and it was evident immediately

lol nicks has nothing to be jealous about other than that stupid contract the giants gave cruz (he makes more than antonio brown LOL). he produced before cruz and he's now producing without cruz. cruz on the other hand can't produce without nicks as we saw a few times the last couple of years and then again on sunday. sure were a lot of guys around him!

if you and others want to keep pushing this ridiculous notion that nicks is the first athlete ever to not try during a contract season then by all means have fun. all i know is that the second he got out of the giants' toxic situation and actually got the ball thrown accurately to him he caught all his targets, scored a TD and was a half yard away from a 2nd TD. the proof is in the pudding and it was evident immediately

That's actually what I'm getting at... I have no strong opinion about Cruz's contract.. but someone else's contract shouldn't be a point of contention for you when you're still under contract. His payday was coming up and I have no idea what was going thru his mind... There's no doubt he would have gotten more money than Cruz had his play didn't plummet.. but it did..

And as far as trying to get more while still under contract, I think it's just unprofessional.. I get other players do it... and it still doesn't' make it right... and the Giants weren't in good shape cap-wise and they needed Nicks to be a trooper and he would have gotten his payday...