SportsWrath

NY Post Giants Preview

JMFP

You know I'm always pretty positive about the Giants heck I'm not one of these fans that after missing the playoffs the last couple years that they go off the fucking deep end and act like the Giants haven't won anything. I know this is a new era of football and SB champs are going to be few and fair between in repeat success, I think we are going to see the last of it when the Pats eventually move on from the Tom/Bill era.

However with that said, I think this season is a complete collapse. I think it takes most of the season for The MacAttack and Eli to get on the same page and by that time we are already out of playoff contention. I feel like the defense improves however the lack of depth at LB rather thin DT core comes back to bite us in the ass with injuries.

I don't see the Giant's making 8-8, I think it will be more like 5-11 maybe 7-9 at best. I said this a few years back on the forums that after the SB win in 2011, that nearing the end of the Eli and Coughlin era that there was a good possibility the team was going to flame out and have to push the reset button earlier then the front office wants.

Now I thought it was going to be more due to the fact that the team was going to get pillaged in free agency, but little did I know a lot of young and core pieces of the team were going to have an early end to their careers.

But who knows, this team always surprises me at the end of the day, for all we know we could be watching one of the best offensive performances by this team in it's history but for me I think it will be one of the worst.

I'll still stay positive every week, cheer on the Giants, and believe the team can go 16-0 but until it happens I still think that this season much like the last two are going to end early.

You know I'm always pretty positive about the Giants heck I'm not one of these fans that after missing the playoffs the last couple years that they go off the fucking deep end and act like the Giants haven't won anything. I know this is a new era of football and SB champs are going to be few and fair between in repeat success, I think we are going to see the last of it when the Pats eventually move on from the Tom/Bill era.

However with that said, I think this season is a complete collapse. I think it takes most of the season for The MacAttack and Eli to get on the same page and by that time we are already out of playoff contention. I feel like the defense improves however the lack of depth at LB rather thin DT core comes back to bite us in the ass with injuries.

I don't see the Giant's making 8-8, I think it will be more like 5-11 maybe 7-9 at best. I said this a few years back on the forums that after the SB win in 2011, that nearing the end of the Eli and Coughlin era that there was a good possibility the team was going to flame out and have to push the reset button earlier then the front office wants.

Now I thought it was going to be more due to the fact that the team was going to get pillaged in free agency, but little did I know a lot of young and core pieces of the team were going to have an early end to their careers.

But who knows, this team always surprises me at the end of the day, for all we know we could be watching one of the best offensive performances by this team in it's history but for me I think it will be one of the worst.

I'll still stay positive every week, cheer on the Giants, and believe the team can go 16-0 but until it happens I still think that this season much like the last two are going to end early.

The Giants during the new millennium has lived and died by a series of solid drafts followed by a series of dreadful drafts. If you can't draft and develop home-grown talent, you end up 8-8 at best and the Cleveland Browns at worst.

I think you can pick any team and say well they're "think" at this position and that position... at the end of the day it's a 53 man roster... and the variables that go into every game makes it hard to predict... the homer in me always pridicted the Giants win 11 or more... The realist thinks not so much.. but I'm not one who thinks the Giants will have a losing season... I think we win the division with 9 wins and make the playoffs...

In particular, I agree with this:

Is Will Beatty, coming off a broken right leg, an ascending left tackle (the 2012 opinion) or a complete mess (the 2013 evidence)?....

.....It all starts and ends with Eli Manning, but he needs to be protected. Beatty is coming off a terrible season and a broken right leg and there’s no legit alternative.

And also.. I'm not holding my breath on JPP... I think he's mediocre DE... till he proves otherwise..

I agree.....I hope I'm totally wrong, but I see a guy who had great athleticism, and then fucked up his back, and hasn't been the same since.

It's all going to depend on injuries on the oline. If they can stay together consistently, they'll gel faster, and the offense might start showing something. We had an incredible stretch between 2005-2010 where we had very few games missed by our starters. People forget that, and put much less emphasis on cohesion than they really should.

I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but I think Coughlin did a pretty remarkable job last year. Between the clear lack of talent and injuries, the poor play from key players, and the last-gasp condition of the roster; even getting that team to 7-9 was yeoman's work--especially after starting 0-6. Granted, we beat some pretty shitty teams: but we weren't exactly dominant last year, either. It could have very easily folded up and went the way of Fassel's 2003 season.

I think this isn't a year of extremes--I'd be very surprised if we were drafting 1st or toting a Lombardi--but then again, I thought we were doomed at the beginning of 2011 after all the injuries started to pile up. And we are in the NFC East, which has some pretty shitty teams right now. The Eagles had a remarkable season last year, but they also had an outlier season as far as the small amount of injuries they had; and I doubt that the INT rate will remain that low. Dallas and Washington are at least as bad as we are.

There are plenty of things to worry about: the oline, TEs, who will actually show up at WR. We don't even know how the playcalling on offense will go. But the question marks were there already, and we knew there was some gambling that had to be done this year. It isn't the same litany of questions 2013 had, and I think we're in a better position this year than we were this time last year. We're not relying on the the brittle legs of Andre Brown. We're not trying to milk another season from David Diehl, or getting blind-sided by another surgery for Snee. We don't have to worry about JPP AND Tuck. We have some NFL linebackers. Some of our DTs are old, but we also have youth. Same with DE. At least one side of the ball is stable this year--Beason is not Dan Conner, and we're not relying on other team's washouts to save the day. Our older players are either backups, special teams (long snapper and kickers), or in positions with heavy rotation--it's not that bad. Manning is 33, but Simms played longer than that, and was far, far more beaten up than Manning has been.

I wouldn't say a winning season is out of the question, and I'm willing to take a wait-and-see approach to this offense, and give it some time. If we're .500 at midseason, we've got a shot. Either way, I think we'll be in better shape at the beginning of 2015 than we were the beginning of this year.

I agree.....I hope I'm totally wrong, but I see a guy who had great athleticism, and then fucked up his back, and hasn't been the same since.

I'm not buying that he fucked his back... I think he lacks the motivation to do well... after his first season, he was out of shape and always winded... and it showed.

I'm not buying that he fucked his back... I think he lacks the motivation to do well... after his first season, he was out of shape and always winded... and it showed.

But it was his second season that he had his best year, heck even in 2012 he had an alright year.

And I dont see how you can say his back inst fucked when you know he had to get surgery done to it.

I will agree though, JPP really needs to step up this season for the Giant's to have any chance at winning.

But it was his second season that he had his best year, heck even in 2012 he had an alright year.

And I dont see how you can say his back inst fucked when you know he had to get surgery done to it.

I will agree though, JPP really needs to step up this season for the Giant's to have any chance at winning.

His 2nd year is what I meant actually.. after that he was out of shape and seems to have let his short lived success get to his head... I'd fathom to say there's a strong connection between being out of shape and having a fucked up back... especially given his job description.

It's all going to depend on injuries on the oline. If they can stay together consistently, they'll gel faster, and the offense might start showing something. We had an incredible stretch between 2005-2010 where we had very few games missed by our starters. People forget that, and put much less emphasis on cohesion than they really should.

I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but I think Coughlin did a pretty remarkable job last year. Between the clear lack of talent and injuries, the poor play from key players, and the last-gasp condition of the roster; even getting that team to 7-9 was yeoman's work--especially after starting 0-6. Granted, we beat some pretty shitty teams: but we weren't exactly dominant last year, either. It could have very easily folded up and went the way of Fassel's 2003 season.

I think this isn't a year of extremes--I'd be very surprised if we were drafting 1st or toting a Lombardi--but then again, I thought we were doomed at the beginning of 2011 after all the injuries started to pile up. And we are in the NFC East, which has some pretty shitty teams right now. The Eagles had a remarkable season last year, but they also had an outlier season as far as the small amount of injuries they had; and I doubt that the INT rate will remain that low. Dallas and Washington are at least as bad as we are.

There are plenty of things to worry about: the oline, TEs, who will actually show up at WR. We don't even know how the playcalling on offense will go. But the question marks were there already, and we knew there was some gambling that had to be done this year. It isn't the same litany of questions 2013 had, and I think we're in a better position this year than we were this time last year. We're not relying on the the brittle legs of Andre Brown. We're not trying to milk another season from David Diehl, or getting blind-sided by another surgery for Snee. We don't have to worry about JPP AND Tuck. We have some NFL linebackers. Some of our DTs are old, but we also have youth. Same with DE. At least one side of the ball is stable this year--Beason is not Dan Conner, and we're not relying on other team's washouts to save the day. Our older players are either backups, special teams (long snapper and kickers), or in positions with heavy rotation--it's not that bad. Manning is 33, but Simms played longer than that, and was far, far motre beaten up than Manning has been.

I wouldn't say a winning season is out of the question, and I'm willing to take a wait-and-see approach to this offense, and give it some time. If we're .500 at midseason, we've got a shot. Either way, I think we'll be in better shape at the beginning of 2015 than we were the beginning of this year.

Written like a true 5 Decades Giants Fan there Gut... Like you I have endured 18 years without the playoffs...and many horrible seasons ... They made the expected and unexpected triumphs all the sweeter. The sky is not falling...and if they have to do poorly this year to have another run at greatness...I say so be it. :)

we outperformed our point differential by a win and a half last season. the defense is a little improved but i don't see why the offense would be any better unless the new system takes to our personnel quickly and masks our weaknesses in pass protection. i think we're between a 4 and 6 win team and i've never projected us to be that low since i've been a fan

we outperformed our point differential by a win and a half last season. the defense is a little improved but i don't see why the offense would be any better unless the new system takes to our personnel quickly and masks our weaknesses in pass protection. i think we're between a 4 and 6 win team and i've never projected us to be that low since i've been a fan

I think it will be 9/7 or 6/10...within that range... I sure hope to GOD that Beatty is not BeatMe this year... :P

He makes a lot of points that are hard to argue... but he fails to mention just the time it takes to get an offensive line to gel... let alone a new offense to start running well. Those two things combined are a very dangerous situation. Hurrying Eli with pass rushers in his face is not going to help him execute quickly. It is going to make for a very interesting season, have to hope the running game can step up and the defense hold its own.

8-8 does not seem unrealistic...

He makes a lot of points that are hard to argue... but he fails to mention just the time it takes to get an offensive line to gel... let alone a new offense to start running well. Those two things combined are a very dangerous situation. Hurrying Eli with pass rushers in his face is not going to help him execute quickly. It is going to make for a very interesting season, have to hope the running game can step up and the defense hold its own.

8-8 does not seem unrealistic...

The Eagles had quite a bit of success last season.. and I have no idea why the Giants' O, at least in pre-season, looked like shit still.

Written like a true 5 Decades Giants Fan there Gut... Like you I have endured 18 years without the playoffs...and many horrible seasons ... They made the expected and unexpected triumphs all the sweeter. The sky is not falling...and if they have to do poorly this year to have another run at greatness...I say so be it. :)

It's kind of comical in Giants-land right now. Most people wanted a new offensive coordinator (which they got), new olinemen (which they got--maybe not all superstars, but all still pretty much on the uptick), and new runningbacks (ditto). Now, at the end of preseason, they're wondering why all these new things aren't running like a well-practiced, veteran team. I mean, we were basically "Team Tiki" for two years after MacKenzie came on board.

It's kind of like complaining that a toddler isn't winning any NCAA track meets.

Our defense is more balanced this year than it has been for years. Yes, the line isn't as ridiculously strong in pass rush as it was, but the backfield should give them more time. And we have a couple linebackers this year, rather than immobile obstacles.

(I started to be a fan during the year Arnsparger was given the coaching job. I actually had trouble wrapping my head around the fact we were in the same league as the Staubach Cowboys or the Madden Raiders--it felt like we were in division II. I had a football signed by Scott Eaton, and my fav player at first was Pete Athas--I laugh at the complaints I hear today.)

It's kind of comical in Giants-land right now. Most people wanted a new offensive coordinator (which they got), new olinemen (which they got--maybe not all superstars, but all still pretty much on the uptick), and new runningbacks (ditto). Now, at the end of preseason, they're wondering why all these new things aren't running like a well-practiced, veteran team. I mean, we were basically "Team Tiki" for two years after MacKenzie came on board.

It's kind of like complaining that a toddler isn't winning any NCAA track meets.

Our defense is more balanced this year than it has been for years. Yes, the line isn't as ridiculously strong in pass rush as it was, but the backfield should give them more time. And we have a couple linebackers this year, rather than immobile obstacles.

(I started to be a fan during the year Arnsparger was given the coaching job. I actually had trouble wrapping my head around the fact we were in the same league as the Staubach Cowboys or the Madden Raiders--it felt like we were in division II. I had a football signed by Scott Eaton, and my fav player at first was Pete Athas--I laugh at the complaints I hear today.)

Exactly Man...and while I was one of the one's (and still am) who wanted Saint Gilbride gone...I also realized that it would not be an immediate transition... Our string of successes has weakened the perspective of many of us...

I think Schwartz nails it, especially about the importance of Beatty not sucking donkey schlong in 2014.

He's got the Giants finishing 8-8.....I think it's a fair assessment, but I can see 9-7 if the offensive line doesn't completely blow again.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/02/giants-preview-the-last-stand-for-eli-and-coughlin/

What the fuck is Schwarz doing... he should be REHABBING HIS TOE, not writing articles!