SportsWrath

First game down

RandolphScott

I dont think we are playing a defense like that again this season unless it is in the superbowl. That defense is fast as fuck, gets pressure and has a great secondary. I thought overall we did a decent job. I wish we ran more 2 tight end sets and give those outside linemen the help they need by chipping in. We would still have all our weapons on the field. We have to face it flowers is done but chances are he is there all season now.

Obj had 11 catches and saqluon had a nice day. Our front 7 has some life to it. Eli apple showed up. Kicking game was much improved. Id cut that fucking kr now and send a message, that was pop warner level.overall though, it wasnt a bad day.

I don't think you should give up on Barkley having success up the middle just because of one game against arguably the best D in the NFL.

That's what slows down the rush so it would be good to establish going forward.

I agree with this. I'm a little surprised it's coming from you given how much shit you gave me over a similar point in the game day thread, but yeah, you are exactly right. Put those A gap runs on film, make the D consider that possibility on as many snaps as possible.

And Barkley was better than advertised on those inside runs, imo.

I agree with this. I'm a little surprised it's coming from you given how much shit you gave me over a similar point in the game day thread, but yeah, you are exactly right. Put those A gap runs on film, make the D consider that possibility on as many snaps as possible.

And Barkley was better than advertised on those inside runs, imo.

Wrong guy- I questioned your validating the Beckham reverse a couple times

Wrong guy- I questioned your validating the Beckham reverse a couple times

no, that's what I'm referring to. It was basically the same exact point, but referring to different kinds of plays. In both cases it's true though.

That's one thing I'm liking a lot about Shurmur's O, he seems to put a lot of effort into attacking all the different parts of the D. There's little in the way of tendency for defenses to latch on to.

no, that's what I'm referring to. It was basically the same exact point, but referring to different kinds of plays. In both cases it's true though.

That's one thing I'm liking a lot about Shurmur's O, he seems to put a lot of effort into attacking all the different parts of the D. There's little in the way of tendency for defenses to latch on to.

Its interesting how your brain works

Flowers obviously sucks, but I dont think its as bad as this game showed him to be. Talking to some Jacksonville fans, they say this line makes every offensive line look like amateurs.

Im thinking he plays much better next week. At least I hope so.

lol, if you say so. It's a pretty mundane concept though.

So calling a bad play on 3rd and goal is somehow related to giving Barkley chances to develop running between tackles. And even more bizarre, bc I disagreed with you on said end zone call means Im against giving Barkley time to develop. Am I missing something?

So calling a bad play on 3rd and goal is somehow related to giving Barkley chances to develop running between tackles. And even more bizarre, bc I disagreed with you on said end zone call means Im against giving Barkley time to develop. Am I missing something?

probably, yeah. or maybe I am, I'm not really following anything you're saying there.

all I said originally was that there was no good call in that situation, so they took the chance to put something exotic, yet basic on film. Shurmur runs a lot of stuff like that, if I recall correctly, and obviously its not because they're consistent gainers, and also not simply because when they break, they break big. It's also because they have a strategic purpose in that they force the opposing D to be disciplined against runs around the perimeter.

Its interesting how your brain works :P

If you can understand what hes getting at, thats disturbing

aww, now that's just mean. I'm sure Nas understands plenty of things that you don't understand.

ah well, I know what I meant. If any of the rest of you can't keep up, that's on you!.... or my inability to explain myself. One of those two things. :P

aww, now that's just mean. I'm sure Nas understands plenty of things that you don't understand.

ah well, I know what I meant. If any of the rest of you can't keep up, that's on you!.... or my inability to explain myself. One of those two things. :P

I understand the logic behind running a reverse to Beckham that way anytime for the rest of the game he goes in motion like that (which he did a few times) the defense has to think he's getting the ball, which in turn might make a LB motion out of Barkleys running lane.

I don't agree with doing it the very first time though on 3rd and goal though lol

okay, okay, one last crack at it, maybe its only me, but I think this Xs and Os stuff is interesting and I'm pretty excited about what I'm seeing so far.

Throw the specifics out the window, in this case that reverse down just inside the 10 - consider instead all the other kinds of movement we see in Shurmur's offense that we didn't see under McAdoo or Coughlin, and probably nothing like it for the Giants since around 2000 when Sean Payton was on our sideline. It's all about breaking tendency and forcing the D to account for as many possibilities as possible, so I think we're going to see that kind of stuff, we're going to see some head scratching play calls in some situations. We're going to see the offense give up a side of the field and move the pocket, we're going to see reverses and inside pitches/screens. We're going to see a commitment to the interior run game. And it isn't because any one play is the right play for that one situation.

Or we could just go with some pedantic shit like 'oh that was just a bad play call', because... reasons. Not that there aren't sometimes bad decisions, but fundamentally, all I'm really saying is that no play exists on an island.

I understand the logic behind running a reverse to Beckham that way anytime for the rest of the game he goes in motion like that (which he did a few times) the defense has to think he's getting the ball, which in turn might make a LB motion out of Barkleys running lane.

I don't agree with doing it the very first time though on 3rd and goal though lol

Yes, exactly what I mean! That kind of play calling variety causes a virtuous cycle.

Honestly I would have thrown the remote if they had tried that play from 5 yards or closer. From the 8, eh..... still not likely to work, but nothing was likely in that spot, its one of the hardest places on the field to score from.

Color me pedantic if I think we should try to score at 3rd and goal from the 8 and that ther are many good calls to make from there including the occasional reverse. Now, how does this connect me giving you a hard time about Barkley going between the tackles?

Color me pedantic if I think we should try to score at 3rd and goal from the 8 and that ther are many good calls to make from there. Now, how does this connect me giving you a hard time about Barkley going between the tackles?

I'll see if I can dig up a link later, there's solid numbers on probabilities of scoring from certain locations on the field.... IIRC, 3rd and long goal to go is about as hard as it gets. There's no "good" call in that spot.... there are just plays with less probability of failing miserably.

And you were all up my ass about the reverse. I'm not sure what you're referring to about Barkley running up the middle, I think we're pretty much in agreement on the importance of that, whether we're coming at it from the importance of him developing that skill or the effect of interior runs upon defenses.

I wasnt up your ass. You SAI it was some kind of intel gathering move which I found amusing.

Let me remind your addled brain:

fringe, on 10 Sept 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

I don't think you should give up on Barkley having success up the middle just because of one game against arguably the best D in the NFL.

That's what slows down the rush so it would be good to establish going forward.

Your reply: I agree with this. I'm a little surprised it's coming from you given how much shit you gave me over a similar point in the game day thread, but yeah, you are exactly right. Put those A gap runs on film, make the D consider that possibility on as many snaps as possible.

And Barkley was better than advertise