SportsWrath

Davis Webb wavied.

BlueInCanada

Maybe they just wanted a vet instead of two young development guys. Its hard to know because coaches have a much better idea than we do about guys whose experience amounts to a few preseason series. I was kind of looking forward to having two young guys developing behind Eli and seeing if one or both could turn into something but if the staff sees them both as QB3s and thinks its better to have a vet ready to step in if Eli gets hurt then I respect that

I didn't really see the bad footwork in games 2 and 3. Game 1 was rough though.

And Webb made some nice throws on the move, despite suspect footwork. That was half the fascination with Darnold, the fact that he could make accurate throws despite a seeming disconnect between his hands and feet. When somebody has an arm like Webb's, I give almost zero fucks about his footwork. Dude could wrist it 30 yards on a rope, he wasn't getting cut over footwork.

I think it had to be something personality based. Webb was a bit flippant in response to a couple McAdoo interviews, maybe that's a clue. I think I already mentioned the body language rumor. Webb was self-appointed team DJ....

The more I think about it, the more I think the answers to our questions weren't on the field.

Its good you give zero fucks about footwork. Might as well have one foot on banana peel and your other foot in a grave for an NFL QB with bad footwork.

That really makes no sense, disaster waiting to happen.

Its good you give zero fucks about footwork. Might as well have one foot on banana peel and your other foot in a grave for an NFL QB with bad footwork.

That really makes no sense, disaster waiting to happen.

Both Darnold and Josh Allen have poor footwork..... They were top ten picks in this last draft.

As poor as Webb? I don't really know enough to say one way or the other with any kind of qualification. Just saying, arm talent > foot talent for a QB - I'll happily discount footwork if the arm is all there.

But maybe you're on to something. Like I said, I'm dubious the issues were on the field because personally I never thought that Webb was outperformed by Lauletta or Tanney, but Shurmur does seem to have more of an emphasis on footwork and intangibles than maybe fits with my 'traditional QB' values.

What I did notice about Webb, not so much footwork, but that ball was coming out at all angles. Game 1 was hideous. Games 2 and 3 it didn't seem to matter, he was decently accurate despite some funky throwing motions. So I kind of wrote it off.... throwing motion is one of those things where, if you're accurate despite the inconsistencies - hello, Darnold! - it can be a strength.

I'm okay with Lauletta too. I'm only belaboring the point because I'm curious what happened. It's just so weird to see the 3rd and 4th stringer leapfrog the 2nd guy in the last week of preseason. Okay, I can buy footwork and other technique issues --- but did they just notice that last week? That's what I'm not buying about this.

Coming from the guy defending Tanney? Why are you so high on Tanney?

This is the same level of unbridled outrage as when you ranted and raved about David Wilson.

This board is starting to get to GMB levels of logic lol

I never once said Tanney was a better QB, show me where I said it? I said him and Webb are on the same level.

And I was thrilled with the David Wilson pick I have no idea what you're talking about lol so you're also gonna have to show me that.

What value did Webb bring to the team that Lulu and Tenney do not?

Other than some misguided homer glasses that he was the next franchise QB because of camp reports and a few pre season games?

"Oh but if Eli goes down Webb would of given us a chance to win"

No he won't he doesn't have a single start to his name and is on the same level as Lulu and Tenney to say otherwise is just beyond being a homer. This season is all on Eli he goes down and it doesn't matter if it's Webb, Lulu or Tanney the season is still tanked.

Davis Webb = Ryan Nassib 2.0, Webb will never start a game in the NFL outside of some sort of series of injuries, the same goes for Lulu and Tanney.

Why people are in an outrage over him being wavied Ill never understand.

The coaches see these guys every day for months at a time, but yet we all are supposed to know better based on 30-40 throws in the preseason lol

Theres a good chance that Darnold and Allen fail. I think Mayfield will be the best of the bunch.

Footwork is paramount in the NFL. You can have a rocket arm and poor footwork, not gonna mean shit.

Lets wait until the reason season starts and see how Darnold and Allen do. Kyle Boller also had a strong arm

I think the Giants believe Tanney is better suited for the backup QB role than Webb. With more experience, he'll be better helping Eli prepare in the QB room and judging by what we saw in the preseason, there's not much difference between Tanney and Webb in their play on the field, at least not at this point. I also think Tanney is a better personality fit. Davis seems a little edgy and there might have been a concern that he was not going to be happy sitting another year.

As for Lauletta, I get what they see in him. He's cool under pressure, uses his mobility smartly (not prematurely, like many young QBs) and throws accurately on the run. Webb, for all his film study, or maybe because of it, is more robotic and doesn't have the fluidity or adaptivity that I see in Lauletta. That's much more important than having a big arm.

Theres a good chance that Darnold and Allen fail. I think Mayfield will be the best of the bunch.

Footwork is paramount in the NFL. You can have a rocket arm and poor footwork, not gonna mean shit.

Lets wait until the reason season starts and see how Darnold and Allen do. Kyle Boller also had a strong arm

that's probably the best comparison for Webb right there.

Still, all performance being equal, I wouldn't have cut a 2nd year Boller (or Webb) for a 9 or 10 year vet Tanney. Just based on the on the field stuff.

This board is starting to get to GMB levels of logic lol

I never once said Tanney was a better QB, show me where I said it? I said him and Webb are on the same level.

And I was thrilled with the David Wilson pick I have no idea what you're talking about lol so you're also gonna have to show me that.

What value did Webb bring to the team that Lulu and Tenney do not?

Other than some misguided homer glasses that he was the next franchise QB because of camp reports and a few pre season games?

"Oh but if Eli goes down Webb would of given us a chance to win"

No he won't he doesn't have a single start to his name and is on the same level as Lulu and Tenney to say otherwise is just beyond being a homer. This season is all on Eli he goes down and it doesn't matter if it's Webb, Lulu or Tanney the season is still tanked.

Davis Webb = Ryan Nassib 2.0, Webb will never start a game in the NFL outside of some sort of series of injuries, the same goes for Lulu and Tanney.

Why people are in an outrage over him being wavied Ill never understand.

The coaches see these guys every day for months at a time, but yet we all are supposed to know better based on 30-40 throws in the preseason lol

Why you think its better to go with Tanney over Webb makes absolutely no sense.

People are really just that embarrassed that they can't admit defeat. It's no surprise it's V and NAS though.

Remember Geno fuckig Smith was given a start before Webb. He sucked. Get over it.

The guys defending the decision to keep Tanney over Webb think theyve won something? What, the contrarion special olympics?

Lol Danths law...

Ok I'll bite since you think I want Tanney for some GMB logic reason I cant figure out.

Why is Webb the better option than either Tanney or Lulu at this point in their career(s)?

Maybe they thought Webb has a chance of catching with another team, and though they had no use for him as a 3rd string QB (who, as it's been mentioned, has an important role in practices) that maybe he still had a chance of a career somewhere.

Resources are limited. Your not going to keep two developmental guys. It wasn't Tanney Vs Webb it was Webb vs Lauretta

....like Tanney isn't developmental though? Yeah, he's 31, but he's never been anything more than career camp fodder.

So they still have two developmental guys, they just aren't going to try to develop one of them. Okay, fair enough ---- but why not not develop Webb than not develop the much less talented Tanney?

The more I drill down on it, the more I think you're all off base by looking for clues on the field.