SportsWrath

The 2018 roster.... as it is now , plus some reading

Lughead

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/giants-cut-tracker-roster-narrowing-down-from-90-to-53/292754486 Giants roster in full

Offense (27)

QB (4): Kyle Lauletta ®, Eli Manning, Alex Tanney, Davis Webb

RB (4+1): Saquon Barkley ®, Wayne Gallman, Robert Martin ®, Jonathan Stewart, Shane Smith (FB)

WR: (5): Odell Beckham, Jr., Cody Latimer, Hunter Sharp, Russell Shepard, Sterling Shepard

TE (4): Jerell Adams, Rhett Ellison, Evan Engram, Scott Simonson

C/G (6): Evan Brown ®, John Greco, Jon Halapio, Will Hernandez ®, John Jerry, Patrick Omameh

T (3): Ereck Flowers, Nate Solder, Chad Wheeler

Defense (23)

DL (5): Josh Banks, Damon Harrison, B.J. Hill ®, Dalvin Tomlinson, Kerry Wynn

OLB (5): Connor Barwin, Lorenzo Carter ®, Kareem Martin, Romeo Okwara, Olivier Vernon

ILB (4): Ray-Ray Armstrong, Tae Davis ®, B.J. Goodson, Alec Ogletree

CB (4): Eli Apple, Donte Deayon, Janoris Jenkins, B.W. Webb

S (5): Sean Chandler ®, Landon Collins, William Gay, Curtis Riley, Michael Thomas

Special Teams (3)

K: Aldrick Rosas

P: Riley Dixon

LS: Zak DeOssie

R = Rookie

If you're wondering why the Giants kept four quarterbacks well, get in line. And it's a long line that includes some of the quarterbacks and their agents.

It makes no sense, of course, in an era where some teams carry only two. Alex Tanney is a veteran journeyman who has one part of one regular-season game on his resume and didn't play particularly well in his one preseason game with the Giants, so his presence is certainly interesting - especially since, according to a source, he was expecting to be cut earlier on Saturday.

The fact that he wasn't made everyone think the Giants were shopping one of their young quarterbacks. And considering the new regime just drafted Kyle Lauletta, it's a safe bet they were shopping the old regime's quarterback, Davis Webb.

Presumably that situation will be resolved before the Giants really begin practicing on Wednesday. Possibly as early as Sunday. Maybe they just kept Tanney in case they could strike a deal and he'll be cut if they can't. It's hard to believe they'd cut Webb, a 23-year-old with a strong arm and lots of potential, especially since they have no idea what they have in the rookie Lauletta yet.

So, the QB situation is to be determined. There weren't many huge surprises on the rest of the roster. Perhaps the biggest was that the Giants cut two former starting safeties - Darian Thompson and Andrew Adams. There was also the departure of veteran LB Mark Herzlich after seven years with the Giants. A valuable special teams player and a good guy in the locker room, the Giants suddenly had too many good linebackers on the team to keep him around based on that.

Getting rid of Adams and Thompson (waived/injured with a hamstring problem) left the Giants with Curtis Riley starting opposite Landon Collins, and veterans Michael Thomas and William Gay and rookie Sean Chandler rounding out the depth, such that it is. They're also pretty thin at cornerback, where Donte Deayon and B.W. Webb are the only backups (though Gay obviously can play corner, too).

The depth issue was also apparent elsewhere - something that was really apparent all summer long. There are concerns at receiver behind Odell Beckham and Sterling Shepard, where Cody Latimer, Hunter Sharp and Russell Shepard will fight for snaps. There's real concern on the offensive line, where Chad Wheeler is the only backup tackle and Ereck Flowers is still the starter on the right side

I think they kept Alex Tanney because he is the one guy who definitely isn't getting a spot on a roster elsewhere in the NFL. I can see Gettleman & Shurmur giving guys a chance to land on a roster elsewhere. He'll get dropped to pickup someone else this weekend.

Shopping Davis Webb doesn't sound likely, I think he may have created some interest.

And how much cock did Sharp have to take to stay on the team?

I have no idea ideally why you'd keep him over Lewis... Lewis is a legit special teams stud and Sharp had a TD on a punt that I could have scored on... and two muffled punts in the preseason. He's garbage.

I think they kept Alex Tanney because he is the one guy who definitely isn't getting a spot on a roster elsewhere in the NFL. I can see Gettleman & Shurmur giving guys a chance to land on a roster elsewhere. He'll get dropped to pickup someone else this weekend.

Shopping Davis Webb doesn't sound likely, I think he may have created some interest.

Actually they may be trying to shop Webb to Miami or Indi https://www.forbes.com/sites/patriciatraina/2018/09/01/key-takeways-on-the-new-york-giants-initial-roster-cuts/#4ff8ffd73f89

Yeah that story gets clicks. Here is why I think the Giants are not shopping Webb but will pick up the phone for offers: Webb is a third round pick and I doubt the Giants are letting him go for anything less. If the front office is serious about moving Webb, it would have been done already.

Yeah that story gets clicks. Here is why I think the Giants are not shopping Webb but will pick up the phone for offers: Webb is a third round pick and I doubt the Giants are letting him go for anything less. If the front office is serious about moving Webb, it would have been done already.

Gettlemen lets him go for free. No hotdog, no soda, no bag of chips. I still have my popcorn. :Popcorn-emot:

Kinda tells you how little the new GM/HC think of the old roster from JR and MacAttack.

That is one way to look at it. I see a GM trying to get his HC all the possible players and pieces he can. Made moves for this year and the next one.

Giants moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Rebuilding the offensive line with an emphasis on running the ball. There were a couple of contracts that shackled the organization's ability to make moves. Most of the starting roster is intact and players that had a smaller role were taking off the roster.