SportsWrath

Why so much hate with the Barkley pick?

jranieli

I am reading another board and I am ashamed with all the hate on the pick. Saying that Gettleman has no idea what he is doing, who doesn't know football. I just don't get it. I wanted a QB, but I love this pick. Barkley is going to be very special.

The media tells people what to think now and the media has been covering the top 5 QBs daily since January. You cannot underestimate the weight of media influence on picks.

Because they are ready for the day Eli Manning is not the QB. They look at the last three years and say Eli is done and think the last time he was good enough to be the starter, Giants won a super bowl.

I'd rather a can't-miss QB but I don't feel like any of those guys were risk-free. I'm happy with the pick.

but the argument there is that there were 4 QB's taken in the top 10 or maybe its 3. I think they all had flaws and teams are just so desperate. I don't see them comparable to the 2004 draft.

I think its a combination of the QB-Media effect that Tempest described, and folks are outsmarting themselves on the economics of positional value.

the pendulum has swung too far towards devaluing the RB position, and the numerous 1st round draft picks at the position this year may be evidence that its swinging back the other way.

of course the QB is more valuable if he pans out, but its a crap shoot even for the best prospects, so take the guy you're most certain will be a good player.

Best available player at a position of need? Put your hands together, that's a hell of a pick.

I think its a combination of the QB-Media effect that Tempest described, and folks are outsmarting themselves on the economics of positional value.

the pendulum has swung too far towards devaluing the RB position, and the numerous 1st round draft picks at the position this year may be evidence that its swinging back the other way.

of course the QB is more valuable if he pans out, but its a crap shoot even for the best prospects, so take the guy you're most certain will be a good player.

Best available player at a position of need? Put your hands together, that's a hell of a pick.

Did you noticed the NFL commentators were kinda disappointed Mayfield went first. They were all ready and prepped to tell you all about Darnold and Rosen but instead they're looking at the guy who in their mind should have dropped.

but the argument there is that there were 4 QB's taken in the top 10 or maybe its 3. I think they all had flaws and teams are just so desperate. I don't see them comparable to the 2004 draft.

It was four in the top 10, and no, I don't think any of these four go before any of the three in 2004.

Then again, I had Mayfield as the third QB in this draft.... and check the Browns out, WTF.

Pretty much all three QB's from 2004 started from Day 1, except Eli who started half way. I do not see any of these QB's starting this year. Mahomes could have started day 1 this past year, but he didn't have too.

Did you noticed the NFL commentators were kinda disappointed Mayfield went first. They were all ready and prepped to tell you all about Darnold and Rosen but instead they're looking at the guy who in their mind should have dropped.

haha, yeah.... you know they wanted to rag on the Browns for being, well, the Browns.

It was the Ward pick that really threw me. its a big man's game, and the Browns just picked a QB who's barely any bigger than me, and the smallest CB prospect.

haha, yeah.... you know they wanted to rag on the Browns for being, well, the Browns.

It was the Ward pick that really threw me. its a big man's game, and the Browns just picked a QB who's barely any bigger than me, and the smallest CB prospect.

I had to look Ward up when they drafted him. Picking at two blessed me with first round tunnel vision this year. I think he will be fine and not a reach as they have a need at CB.

If Barkely turns into Todd Gurley, Edgerring James or similar, people will shut up and sing Gettlemen's praises. If Barkely turns into Reggie Bush or worse, people will continue to rant and rave.

As stated earlier...welcome to the internet...and welcome to football speculation before the players even get on the field.

If Barkely turns into Todd Gurley, Edgerring James or similar, people will shut up and sing Gettlemen's praises. If Barkely turns into Reggie Bush or worse, people will continue to rant and rave.

As stated earlier...welcome to the internet...and welcome to football speculation before the players even get on the field.

I think for some, Barkley would have to pass Emmitt Smith because you know Darnold is going to be so much better.

I am reading another board and I am ashamed with all the hate on the pick. Saying that Gettleman has no idea what he is doing, who doesn't know football. I just don't get it. I wanted a QB, but I love this pick. Barkley is going to be very special.

stay off other boards. you're a Mod fer crissakes! ;)

Haters are gonna hate.

Imagine the headaches opposing DC's are going to have, in dealing with Barkely (who can catch out of the backfield and outrun most LBs and many Safeties), Beckham, Engram (another guy, can outrun most LBs and many Safeties), not to mention Shepard who is no slouch as well.

Hopefully we pick up Hernandez in round 2 to compliment the line and plug in day one at RG.

I also hope we go WR with one of our middle round picks as well, to add depth behind ODB and Shep.

Personally, I feel they finally did what every team does with an aging quarterback. Get him a bellcow.

This. We should have been talking about whether or not we should be giving our stud RB and Guard extensions this offseason. Better late then never I guess but I'll take Barkley and an inside mauler on the OL over another fucking average D-lineman or WR that tears up a knee and is done in four years.