SportsWrath

"Why did the Cowboys release Dez Bryant?"

Sephiroth

At this point in their careers, Dez is a better option. That said, no one has been paid more to produce less at the WR position than Dez. I think I saw a statistic that Dez was essentially paid 300k per reception last year. And Dak was below 50% completion percentage when targeting hkm. He looks old and slow on film.

To me, Dez has never lived up to half the hype the media makes of him. He's talented, yes. He's a number 1 on many teams, yes. But if you look at our offensive line last year and who our starters were, being a #1 on an NFL team doesn't necessarily put you among the league's best.

He's never been one to create separation. I don't see him as particularly shifty or a make-you-miss kind of player. I really think he's a possession receiver who was billed as a big play receiver. Had he settled into an Anquan Boldin type role, taking over that 8-15 yard part of the field, I think he'd have been better served. The problem with that though, is that they had a guy named Whitten who did that very thing 10x better than Bryant.

As a Giants fan, I'll be much happier when Whitten is done than I am now that Bryant appears done.

To me, Dez has never lived up to half the hype the media makes of him. He's talented, yes. He's a number 1 on many teams, yes. But if you look at our offensive line last year and who our starters were, being a #1 on an NFL team doesn't necessarily put you among the league's best.

He's never been one to create separation. I don't see him as particularly shifty or a make-you-miss kind of player. I really think he's a possession receiver who was billed as a big play receiver. Had he settled into an Anquan Boldin type role, taking over that 8-15 yard part of the field, I think he'd have been better served. The problem with that though, is that they had a guy named Whitten who did that very thing 10x better than Bryant.

As a Giants fan, I'll be much happier when Whitten is done than I am now that Bryant appears done.

Spot on.

You sure about that? Check the stats of every receiver who ever left the Giants during Eli's career.

It is a common misconception to believe everyone else is the reason for Eli Manning's success. So when receivers don't do as well after they leave the Giants it is because they were bums to begin with.

It is a common misconception to believe everyone else is the reason for Eli Manning's success. So when receivers don't do as well after they leave the Giants it is because they were bums to begin with.

yeah I agree- not bums but quick burnouts. And I think part of that comes from the hits they took reaching for inaccurate passes. That's why tall guys do well.

yeah I agree- not bums but quick burnouts. And I think part of that comes from the hits they took reaching for inaccurate passes. That's why tall guys do well.

Hits are part of the game, everyone takes hits. How many receivers has Tom Brady has gone through because of injuries? Those would be injuries from accurate throwing? Eli purposefully throws the ball high to put the ball where only his guy can get it, the height of his receivers has nothing to do with it.

Hits are part of the game, everyone takes hits. How many receivers has Tom Brady has gone through because of injuries? Those would be injuries from accurate throwing? Eli purposefully throws the ball high to put the ball where only his guy can get it, the height of his receivers has nothing to do with it.

That is not accurate

its tough to evaluate because I don't think Eli's ever been in the top half of the league as a pure thrower of the football, at least not on a consistent basis. But he does everything else well enough. And then you look at the careers of everybody he's played with.... how did they do before, or after?

Age and injuries have most to do with it in most cases.... nobody is saying that Eli 'made' Cruz or Nicks, or our Steve Smith.... but, he did make Reuben Randle. He did make Plaxico Burress (better...). He did make Kevin Boss and a few other productive journeymen tight ends.

I'd kind of like to do a serious review of the data to see if my impression is accurate.

That is not accurate

lol! I see what you did there.

its a mixed bag. There are times where the throw is high for a reason, and others just because that's Eli's tendency. I think he kind of gets an excessive reputation for that, but its definitely a tendency.

Like the throw where Cruz injured his knee..... high throw on purpose, had to get it over some guys.... good throw, should have been a TD.... but a freak injury.

The throw to Beckham that tore up his ankle, that one I think was just off.

But that happens. Virtually all QBs do that, even the fifteen or twenty QBs that are more accurate than Eli.

The one that I can't recall ever missing high was Donovan McNabb.... and that was because he was more apt to skip the ball twice before it reached the receiver.

well, yes! Brady throws to a spot. He has confidence in his guys to get there. Totally different passer than Eli. Maybe if Eli played for Bellicheck, he'd be Brady- but he was inaccurate at Ole Miss...

I think we all agree that Eli Manning is not the most accurate QB in the NFL. Clearly we will disagree as to how inaccurate he is. It is ridiculous to put receiver injuries on him. There are QB's who put their receivers in harms way and Manning isn't one of them. One notable QB who puts guys at risk was EJ Manuel.

well, yes! Brady throws to a spot. He has confidence in his guys to get there. Totally different passer than Eli. Maybe if Eli played for Bellicheck, he'd be Brady- but he was inaccurate at Ole Miss...

omg, that is totally Eli as well.... and every other NFL QB.