SportsWrath

Hmm...interesting though

Iceman_NYG

This was an interesting thought from CNNSI.

Since Calvin Johnson is a beast and is pretty much unstoppable and so are some other receivers like Plax during goal line situations etc - why not use your own tall WR to defend the opposition's WR on crucial plays?? In a Houston Detroit game - in a crucial play - Andre Johnson could play deep safety and have a better chance of defending CJ in any jumpball situation.

Maybe Coaches ought to look into it. I thought it was a pretty interesting thought

Since Calvin Johnson is a beast and is pretty much unstoppable and so are some other receivers like Plax during goal line situations etc - why not use your own tall WR to defend the opposition's WR on crucial plays?? In a Houston Detroit game - in a crucial play - Andre Johnson could play deep safety and have a better chance of defending CJ in any jumpball situation.

Maybe Coaches ought to look into it. I thought it was a pretty interesting thought

Seems like a no-brainer in that situation.

Seems like a no-brainer in that situation.

I thought that at first too. But then I pictured the QB audbeling to a run and sending everyone directly at your franchise WR. Or shifting or motioning to get a more favorable matchup. There would be alot that you would have to teach the WR playing defense.

I've seen it done a number of times to defend the Hail Mary but that's just jump high and bat it away. Trying to defend a fade into the corner of the end zone, one on one, requires some defensive know how and technique.

Definitely interesting thought....maybe Barden could earn a paycheck.

I've seen it done a number of times to defend the Hail Mary but that's just jump high and bat it away. Trying to defend a fade into the corner of the end zone, one on one, requires some defensive know how and technique.

Yeah on onside kicks and Hail Mary WRs are used often. Then again didn't Troy Brown play DB for a while on the Patriots?

Plax is unstoppable?

By this logic, a running back would make a better MLB, an offensive guard would make a better DT, etc. If that were true, we would probably still be in the 2-way player era.

At first I thought there was a rule as to which #'s could be on the field as offense/defense. Then I see you guys posting that WR's are in on Hail Mary's. I could see putting WR's in on special teams, but in to defend Hail Mary's? I guess my question is, can a WR even be used defensively?

At first I thought there was a rule as to which #'s could be on the field as offense/defense. Then I see you guys posting that WR's are in on Hail Mary's. I could see putting WR's in on special teams, but in to defend Hail Mary's? I guess my question is, can a WR even be used defensively?

Sure, anybody can play anywhere, provided they tell the officials they're checking in at a different position.

And I think that might only apply to players switching to or from the offensive line.

Sure, anybody can play anywhere, provided they tell the officials they're checking in at a different position.

And I think that might only apply to players switching to or from the offensive line.

I think that's right. The Jests used an RB as a blitzer on MNF.

The announcers were spot on though; it's a dead giveaway to the other team that he's coming on a blitz. I'm amazed he was left to run free.

Yeah, that would be the big problem with any O players on D. It's going to much harder to disguise your play call. I think though on let's say 3rd and very long, maybe 15+ yards, having certain O players rush isn't a terrible idea.