SportsWrath

Welcome to the Giants

BlueInCanada

I would have been happier with Lee too but I'm comfortable with Apple over Hargreaves now. I think a DE in the 1st would have been luxury over need though.

Agree on the first part 100%. The second part...I would be hedging with one pick both against JPPs failure to return to his former self as well as OO's inability to get on and stay on the field. Again, as long a we get a DE and an OT tonight, I'll be quite pleased.

I would have been happier with Lee too but I'm comfortable with Apple over Hargreaves now. I think a DE in the 1st would have been luxury over need though.

Nope... even though I considered Lee because I was fixated on the LB position.. he maybe fast but easily blocked/pushed off...

Agree on the first part 100%. The second part...I would be hedging with one pick both against JPPs failure to return to his former self as well as OO's inability to get on and stay on the field. Again, as long a we get a DE and an OT tonight, I'll be quite pleased.

My boy Double O is gonna light it up this year* and make me proud to be the owner of a knock-off Odighizuwa jersey.

* I have absolutlely nothing to base this opinion on except blind hope.

Nope... even though I considered Lee because I was fixated on the LB position.. he maybe fast but easily blocked/pushed off...

I am changing my position on some of these linebackers, though I'm hesitant to do so. Guys like Ryan Shazier, granted he's in a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3, are making an impact in games at a lighter weight than what linebackers have traditionally been. It seems to be that some of those SS of the past, 4.50 guys who are 6'1 and 220 are finding their way to the LB spot. Probably has a lot to do with the athletic TEs and pass happy NFL these days...

So a LB like that can play in space or sometimes in man coverage. They are quick enough to slip around blocks as opposed to shedding them. Again, I'm more traditional in that I like 250+ guy with some speed who's going to shoot a gap and take a guy's head off. But that's not the direction the league seems to be going.

I am changing my position on some of these linebackers, though I'm hesitant to do so. Guys like Ryan Shazier, granted he's in a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3, are making an impact in games at a lighter weight than what linebackers have traditionally been. It seems to be that some of those SS of the past, 4.50 guys who are 6'1 and 220 are finding their way to the LB spot. Probably has a lot to do with the athletic TEs and pass happy NFL these days...

So a LB like that can play in space or sometimes in man coverage. They are quick enough to slip around blocks as opposed to shedding them. Again, I'm more traditional in that I like 250+ guy with some speed who's going to shoot a gap and take a guy's head off. But that's not the direction the league seems to be going.

You're right.. I'm going against my own experience of playing the MLB position moreso than corner. Despite lacking the size, I more than made up for it with my speed... and most of the time I'd beat the block in the run game and still make the tackle.. but when I didn't, let's just say I'd get pancaked lol

What are you basing that on?

You're right.. I'm going against my own experience of playing the MLB position moreso than corner. Despite lacking the size, I more than made up for it with my speed... and most of the time I'd beat the block in the run game and still make the tackle.. but when I didn't, let's just say I'd get pancaked lol

Nevermind.

I wanted Tunsil but can't argue the need or wisdom of taking a DB...and the kid WILL play a lot this year, as the nickel corner, who has to cover the slot receiver....and as Pdub says, that's 60-65% of defensive snaps (and Blue, Collins can't play that spot. He's more of a SS than a cover corner). He's got size, plays physically, runs a 4.4 and he's only 20 years old. Leave a little room for the possibility that the Giant coaches can take it from there and he actually might be good before we condemn this pick out of hand.

We'll never know, of course but I think they were set to take Floyd before the Bears leapfrogged them and then they couldn't find a trade down deal that they liked, so took the highest ranked played left on the Board. Yes, they had Apple above Hargreaves.

I really, REALLY doubt you'll see Apple at the nickel. I think in the nickel, Jenkins will play the slot receiver, Apple will play the #2 outside receiver, with obviously DRC matched up against the opposing team's #1.

Pdub thanks for posting that stuff. If guys read that it should make them feel better about the pick. I said before, I believe Apple gave Amari Cooper more problems than Hargreaves, and that stuck in my craw a bit as to why Hargreaves was ranked above him by most analysts... and I also saw those metrics, where Apple had a lower completion % against than Hargreaves. I like that he's a bigger, longer corner. I think he will end up working out... he has legit speed to go with the size, always a good combo.

I think there's more work that needs done before I can rest easy on those 4th quarter collapses. There are still significant needs at edge rusher, RT, and WR (though I'm somewhat comforted with the recent Cruz news).

For Apple, I heard someone last night refer to him as a penalty machine if he doesn't clean up the use of his hands in coverage. THAT needs to be fixed here and now if it's that much of an issue.

I guess I just wanted to see the next LB or DE in Lee or Lawson more than a 3rd CB in Apple.

Yeah, he demonstrated some stuff on tape, but it's coachable... that was Jon Gruden, btw, who said that. I think that aspect of Apple is overblown.

Guys, I found a thread on BBI about Apple that's really cool information:

Asshat info on Eli Apple from Rams front office connection
NYG27 : 11:20 am
Long time buddy of mine works for the Rams front office. He's the guy I got the info that the Giants were interested in trading for Orlando Pace in 2005, which I posted here on BBI several days before the media reported on it.

Most times we talk, it's about non-football topics unless it has something to do related to the Giants. So last night I sent him a text message asking for two things.

1 - What was his thoughts on Eli Apple?
2 - Did he think Apple would have been around if the Giants traded down 5-7 spots and gotten an extra pick?

Here is his reply.....

Quote:
scouts ranked him as the top cb on our board with ramsey higher as the top s. eli was part of our discussions before we traded up. several scouts said he might not last till 15 and don't think he would have been there if ny traded down

I had Apple going at 11 to the Bears in my official mock, but at one point I had him going to the Dolphins at 13.

At first blush, I thought it was a reach pick, but at this point, I don't believe that it was. I think the only criticism is that we have other more glaring positions of need (OT, WR, LB, DE) that could have been addressed.

Im really starting to like this Apple kid a lot. The Giants at least draft 2 guys who seem like straight up gentlemen off the field as well as extremely talented on it. Was just going through a lot of deep stuff about the scounting reports and realised actually the majority of the inside scouts etc had Apple rated higher than Hargreaves. Only Ramsey was rated higher and he was like a hybrid safety even. Not a pure corner. If we had traded down, no way Apple was coming to us - Miami might have picked him. And the more Im seeing about Tunsil now - the more I feel the guy is a douchebag. Apple and Sheppard seem like nice clean soft spoken disciplined kids who will make terrific Giants

“Eli was offered Rolex watches and diamonds to wear on draft day,” Annie Apple wrote. “I told him, ‘Dude, you’re an unemployed college dropout. You will not be on TV with a Rolex.’ So we decided if he needed to know what time it was, he could just look at his phone. I bought him a portable charger.”

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/04/nfl-draft-eli-apple-mom-new-york-giants-ohio-state-buckeyes