SportsWrath

2016 Draft Day Thread.

Lughead

I'm not concerned about that at all, actually. The offense was productive and Manning was upright the entire year. Hopefully the coaches develop some kind of offensive identity, especially as it pertains to the running game, that doesn't involve a 4 back rotation and first down draws and delays.

The defense needed some athleticism infused, and they've done some of that, but not necessarily at positions where it was most glaring last season. But it is what it is.

I just find it odd that they seem to think our secondary was the issue last season. Doesn't make sense to me. The secondary was virtually the only bright spot on the defense (mainly because they were asked to minimize big plays while the defensive line gave the quarterback ten seconds to hold onto the football). So again, like I said, it seems that they are content with the modest improvements they made on the defensive line at exorbitant prices.

I wouldn't call the improvements made to the dline modest.... It's the LB spot they seem to have trouble addressing in the draft...

Tree reminded me that Kennard was drafted in 2014 and he's good for half a season.

I wouldn't call the improvements made to the dline modest.... It's the LB spot they seem to have trouble addressing in the draft...

Tree reminded me that Kennard was drafted in 2014 and he's good for half a season.

I think Olivier Vernon is incredibly overrated and was overly compensated by a desperate GM.

A lot of people saying Thompson was a value pick. Mayock was in the minority with his opinion on him (thinks he wasn't worth a third rounder), and I respect Mayock, but I'm going to trust the Giants on this one. Thompson has ball skills, anyway, and if he can take the ball away, then that's going to be huge. I really like that the Giants are putting some talent in the secondary. Hope it works out well... I was leaning towards Justin Simmons, was really a fan of his because of his tackling ability and football IQ. But Thompson was a Jim Thorpe Award semi-finalist and a team captain, 19 int's sure looks great.

This came off Rotoworld and it wasn't pleasant reading on our 3rd round pick.

Giants selected Boise State S Darian Thompson with the No. 71 overall pick of the 2016 NFL draft.

Thompson (6'1/208) made 44 starts for the Broncos, piling up 15 tackles for loss and a school-record 19 interceptions, and earning third-team All-America honors as a senior. He sent up athletic red flags at the Combine, running 4.69 with a 32 1/2-inch vertical. Although he was a ballhawk in the Mountain West, Thompson was burned for ten touchdown passes over his final three years and lacks the range and length to hold up in NFL pass coverage. He's an undersized box safety with a questionable fit in the league. Thompson will be paired with last year's second round pick Landon Collins.

This came off Rotoworld and it wasn't pleasant reading on our 3rd round pick.

Giants selected Boise State S Darian Thompson with the No. 71 overall pick of the 2016 NFL draft.

Thompson (6'1/208) made 44 starts for the Broncos, piling up 15 tackles for loss and a school-record 19 interceptions, and earning third-team All-America honors as a senior. He sent up athletic red flags at the Combine, running 4.69 with a 32 1/2-inch vertical. Although he was a ballhawk in the Mountain West, Thompson was burned for ten touchdown passes over his final three years and lacks the range and length to hold up in NFL pass coverage. He's an undersized box safety with a questionable fit in the league. Thompson will be paired with last year's second round pick Landon Collins.

He was a 4.54 guy at his pro day... word is he got food poisoning and gutted the combine out. Even if you adjust for a little quick pro day times, 4.59-4.60 is not bad for a safety. But you are right that he isn't overly athletic. Apparently the Giants felt he has the right mentality, likes to hit.

However, back to SImmons, he was also a lot more athletic than Thompson as well. I don't understand the pick and probably won't, hopefully in time Thompson will show everyone he is a great player.

Giants WR corps = a bit thin but arguably the best WR in the NFL

Giants LB corps = quite possibly the worst unit in the NFL.

I'm with joe. I expect nothing out of this team so long as Reese and Marc Ross are heading this up. The defense needs a QB in the middle more than we need another fucking speedster WR... but it's not just the draft. We don't sign them in free agency either.

If anyone ever questions why Giants fans are alarmed about the lack of focus of drafting LB's. Since Eli was drafted, we have drafted only 2 Linebackers in the first 3 rounds.........2!!!!. Gerris Wilkerson and Clint Sintim. I know, ":but Boohyah look at those studs".

Not one LB drafted in the previous 4 years (Kennard was a DE).

And when you spend that little attention to a prime position, you'd expect us to supplement that in free agency. That's what you'd expect. We're still waiting on that.

We went into last season with Unga Bunga at middle linebacker and by the end of the season he was barely heard from and we were all getting excited about a couple of plays Jasper Brinkley was making. Are you fucking kidding me?.How many times last year did we hear how our linebacker core was the worst in the league.

I know some of you guys want to be happy and look at the bright side of some of these picks, and I hope Sheppard works out because he looks good. But to go this long and not spend more early around attention on a key position is simply shocking. It's a very legit concern and question mark. The Giants keep saying they pick the highest on their draft board and you have to wonder how a linebacker has never been at the top of the Giants board even by default,

I hope they can redeem themselves tomorrow and do something worthwhile on their 3rd day draft, which has for too long seemed like the day they all go take a nap.

If anyone ever questions why Giants fans are alarmed about the lack of focus of drafting LB's. Since Eli was drafted, we have drafted only 2 Linebackers in the first 3 rounds.........2!!!!. Gerris Wilkerson and Clint Sintim. I know, ":but Boohyah look at those studs".

And when you spend that little attention to a prime position, you'd expect us to supplement that in free agency. That's what you'd expect. We're still waiting on that.

We went into last season with Unga Bunga at middle linebacker and by the end of the season he was barely heard from and we were all getting excited about a couple of plays Jasper Brinkley was making. Are you fucking kidding me?.How many times last year did we hear how our linebacker core was the worst in the league.

I know some of you guys want to be happy and look at the bright side of some of these picks, and I hope Sheppard works out because he looks good. But to go this long and not spend more early around attention on a key position is simply shocking. It's a very legit concern and question mark. The Giants keep saying they pick the highest on their draft board and you have to wonder how a linebacker has never been at the top of the Giants board even by default,

I hope they can redeem themselves tomorrow and do something worthwhile on their 3rd day draft, which has for too long seemed like the day they all go take a nap.

I tried to read your post but after reading that I fucking lost it.

Thompson strikes me as a tweener who won't have any place in the NFL EXCEPT on the NYG. He's not fast or athletic enough to keep wide receivers from getting behind him and he isn't big or strong enough to shed blocks at the point of attack as a linebacker. He strikes me as a very situational player...the type of player the Giants have relied on in the past because they have no linebackers worth a damn; sort of like an Antrel Rolle type role. This has been a problem for a long time and for whatever reason, they think they can cover it with the cast offs of other teams and by experimenting with players.

Right on. I'm puzzled and ticked of so far.... I was hoping maybe just maybe they'd take a LBer in the 3rd but no....

Look I get we signed Robinson and I think he'll be a stud but we need draft our own too,

Good morning gentleman. I have regained control of my bowels.

Just for context.... We had the chance to draft the SEC Defensive Player of the Year. SEC. Defensive Player of the Year. Alabama. We passed, and Rex Ryan jumped all over that.

And yet people are excited about some safety who cannot make tackles.

I'm sure Shepard is a good prospect at receiver. Had the Giants drafted a linebacker in the first round of 2015, and that rookie was defensive rookie of the year, I would be more excited about Shepard.

But that is not reality. Our reality, as Seph, Booyah, and Nas pointed out, was that our linebackers absolutely blew, and were exploited to the point of embarrassment last season.

So, we follow up a disgraceful year by ignoring a position that has been a glaring weakness for years.

We spent a top ten pick on a CB that might have been available at 25. If I'm not mistaken, on a trade value basis, that's a 1300 point slot. We could have traded down to 25, and still gotten Apple, while picking up an extra 2nd and two extra 3rd round picks.

Sure, Apple might have been gone by then. But other solid CBs were still available in the back of the 1st and top of the 2nd.

So far, I grade this draft as a C+ without looking at our roster, and a D when you consider our top needs (OL, LB).

And when you consider what Dallas has done, it looks even worse. I hope that "Snacks" has developed sideline to sideline speed. I hope our 3rd round safety learns to tackle. I hope our new cornerback can take on Zac Martin when he's pulled and hits our back 7 with Elliot right behind him.

The Cowboys have been rebuilding their old dynasty. The Giants have countered with a good looking flag football defense.

Again, to repeat....Dallas won't need to throw to our shiny new defensive backs. They can and will run all day long, and in those rare situations they need to convert a third down, Witten will be there, as he has every game for the past 4 years.

As Seph mentioned, we are now in the 4th round, which means the draft is effectively over for our crew.

Very disappointed, and mostly in myself for looking at a draft that was stocked with linebacker like a salmon run, and swallowing the bullshit from fans and media that this was going to be the year they addressed linebacker.

Keep drinking the cool aid and thinking this year the results will be different despite the same positional negligence.

Miami was going to take Apple at 13. The deal that was offered wasn't good enough. Apple was the best DB on multiple teams' board (after Ramsey). Be happy, Joe.

People act like Apple was a must-draft at 10. I disagree.

I am looking at this from a 2016 perspective. The Cowboys picked up the best RB in college to run behind the best line in football. We went 0-3 in addressing the front 7. At the same time, LBs and DEs were flying off the shelf, going to teams who had much better defenses to begin with. My head was spinning.

I am thinking of December, playoffs on the line, terrible weather conditions, and wondering which team wins in the 4th quarter. Not a happy scenario if you are a Giants fan.