SportsWrath

How bad is Jerry Reese?

Sephiroth

Eh... Reese got a pass for a long time because of the Super Bowls. He deserved and still deserves the criticism. He also needs to change his arrogant attitude, because that's probably the biggest factor of why I can't stand him. Mess up and own up to it, I respect you. Mess up and place blame everywhere but yourself or go on radio shows and throw your rings around as a way of saying "don't question my lack of desire to improve a certain position group", and I lose all respect for you as a gm.

+1

I think the David Wilson disaster was a major bummer for Reese. That kid could have been special.

It was an example of the GM and the OC being on two completely different pages. The offensive line was crumbling....so naturally, draft a running back who can't block.

Yeah super bowl wins gets you passes for fucking up, that is how it works in the NFL. I think there are problems that you can and should blame Jerry Reese for, I have a list too just like everyone else does.

If that's the case why is Coughlin gone?

If anything Reese has gotten MORE than his share of a pass for the Super Bowls (1 of which was 95% Accorsi and the other at most 50/50). Since then this team hasn't even been in the playoffs, but instead of owning up to mistakes he passes blame around and when questioned he jumps on the defensive like a schoolgirl that just joined the debate team. And now thst his ass is on notice he comes out and throws out huge money as if to say "Look!!! I'm doing something!!!" I have no respect for someone like that and will continue to criticize him until he changes his ways... and one season isn't going to be enough.

If that's the case why is Coughlin gone?

If anything Reese has gotten MORE than his share of a pass for the Super Bowls (1 of which was 95% Accorsi and the other at most 50/50). Since then this team hasn't even been in the playoffs, but instead of owning up to mistakes he passes blame around and when questioned he jumps on the defensive like a schoolgirl that just joined the debate team. And now thst his ass is on notice he comes out and throws out huge money as if to say "Look!!! I'm doing something!!!" I have no respect for someone like that and will continue to criticize him until he changes his ways... and one season isn't going to be enough.

I would bet that most would agree that Reese should've gone before Coughlin...at the very least at the same time. I'm sure the team values stability, and I don't disagree with that approach, but between ownership and McAdoo...I think that could've satisfied the stability requirement. That said, I don't think the ownership is screwing around with Reese either. I think he's truly on notice as the owners stated and that it wasn't just lip service so I can't be too upset.

The question now is do you want Reese to fail so he can be replaced or do you want him to succeed and by default, extend his tenure as our GM.

I would bet that most would agree that Reese should've gone before Coughlin...at the very least at the same time. I'm sure the team values stability, and I don't disagree with that approach, but between ownership and McAdoo...I think that could've satisfied the stability requirement. That said, I don't think the ownership is screwing around with Reese either. I think he's truly on notice as the owners stated and that it wasn't just lip service so I can't be too upset.

The question now is do you want Reese to fail so he can be replaced or do you want him to succeed and by default, extend his tenure as our GM.

Definitely succeed.

I want him to be the best GM in the league, he's just not giving me much confidence to ever be that.

I think the David Wilson disaster was a major bummer for Reese. That kid could have been special.

Yeah Wilson was in the same boat as Chad Jones, nothing that anyone could of seen ended their NFL career.

Jones a victim of an accident and Wilson is a victim of a underlining health condition no one had any idea about.

Yeah Wilson was in the same boat as Chad Jones, nothing that anyone could of seen ended their NFL career.

Jones a victim of an accident and Wilson is a victim of a underlining health condition no one had any idea about.

Honestly, I think the NFL has to come up with some sort of compensation for non-football injuries like that in regards to the draft. The Giants essentially wasted a 3rd round pick through no fault of their own. Maybe get a compensatory pick at the end of the round they were drafted in.

Honestly, I think the NFL has to come up with some sort of compensation for non-football injuries like that in regards to the draft. The Giants essentially wasted a 3rd round pick through no fault of their own. Maybe get a compensatory pick at the end of the round they were drafted in.

I think you get a box of tissues if you send them a letter.

Absolutely not. I've said that on here before. His failure would mean the failure of the Giants organization and wasting the final years of the best qb in our history. I would never route for his failure. What I want is for him to own up to his failures and build us a team that competes rather than one that flounders around teasing the fans with glimpses of potential like we've been doing the last 4 years. I'll say it til I turn blue, the magic of 2007 and 2011 can never be replaced, but I would like to see this team go out and dominate during the regular season and host 1 or 2 playoff games en route to a Super Bowl ala 1986 and that all starts with Reese.

Absolutely not. I've said that on here before. His failure would mean the failure of the Giants organization and wasting the final years of the best qb in our history. I would never route for his failure. What I want is for him to own up to his failures and build us a team that competes rather than one that flounders around teasing the fans with glimpses of potential like we've been doing the last 4 years. I'll say it til I turn blue, the magic of 2007 and 2011 can never be replaced, but I would like to see this team go out and dominate during the regular season and host 1 or 2 playoff games en route to a Super Bowl ala 1986 and that all starts with Reese.

You are probably better off cheering for another team. It is going to take magic for a Giants team to put up a record like they did back in 1986. That team and record is thirty years in the past. In thirty years the NY Giants have had twelve seasons with at least ten wins.

You are probably better off cheering for another team. It is going to take magic for a Giants team to put up a record like they did back in 1986. That team and record is thirty years in the past. In thirty years the NY Giants have had twelve seasons with at least ten wins.

Glutton for punishment. I'm not even asking for a 14-2 season per se. I just want to see this team go out there and actually be a dominant force for once rather than relying on catching lightning.

Glutton for punishment. I'm not even asking for a 14-2 season per se. I just want to see this team go out there and actually be a dominant force for once rather than relying on catching lightning.

I'd be happy with a playoff appearance at this point, but I'll take a Lombardi any way I can get it. No need to be greedy like the Patriots.

Agree to disagree.

I will say that injuries have been a huge issue with the Giants, and blame for that extends to the GM, training/conditioning staff, and the coaching staff, along with the players themselves.

But the amount of misses is staggering, and I think he's been absolutely behind the curve with respect to understanding evolving offenses and defensive countermoves. How many tight ends need to feast on this defense before Reese realizes his formula is flawed? It's an absolute given that Jason Witten will abuse the Giants 2x per season. On top of that, every average NFL tight end puts up career numbers against the Giants.

That 2015 Defense was a Reese Production - and it was among the worst defenses I've ever seen, and I've been watching this team for over three decades now.

About the only brightside I see is that eventually, Reese will get fired, and hopefully before they need to select a successor to Eli Manning.

I'm not sure I see where we are disagreeing here. You blame a lot people for injuries and I can agree with that to an extent. Now you're talking about the defense and Jerry isn't a defensive coordinator. Matter of fact quite a few of them have been fired to find a solution to the problem yet we haven't found it yet. 2015 defense was a bit of redemption for Perry Fewell and the Giants have been a Jerry Reese production since 2007.

2015 defense was a redemption of Perry Fewell? How so?

Perry got 16 games out of JPP, Hankins, and Antrell Rolle. Spags had none of that. Spags had a lot less to work with than Fewell.

I think the Reese criticism goes too far sometimes, clearly he's earned some of it, and he should get the benefit of the doubt in some ways, as well. But Fewell? He was a disaster. The players knew it, and the fans watching could see it.

Perry got 16 games out of JPP, Hankins, and Antrell Rolle. Spags had none of that. Spags had a lot less to work with than Fewell.

I think the Reese criticism goes too far sometimes, clearly he's earned some of it, and he should get the benefit of the doubt in some ways, as well. But Fewell? He was a disaster. The players knew it, and the fans watching could see it.

Imo... if Reese actually took responsibility instead of passing the buck and acting like a petulant child I wouldn't be as critical of him. His arrogance keeps me from giving him ANY benefit.

Imo... if Reese actually took responsibility instead of passing the buck and acting like a petulant child I wouldn't be as critical of him. His arrogance keeps me from giving him ANY benefit.

Well, I give him a break on a lot of the unforeseen injury stuff. Maybe his draft record doesn't look as terrible if some of the players he drafted were able to enjoy better health. We all know the names, and there are a lot of them. I would say an inordinate % of them comparative to other teams.

But yes, his remarks, particularly at the Coughlin "retirement" ceremony, were ridiculous and deserving of criticism.

You may have forgotten but we did win a super bowl with Perry Fewell so not a disaster, I can think of two other recent defensive coordinators that fit the description of a disaster. The knock on Perry Fewell was the lack of aggressiveness and Steve Spagnuolo is the exact opposite. We wanted the defense to be more aggressive and unfortunately we paid for that regularly. Perry handed opponents yardage like it was christmas his entire time with the Giants, Steve gave them points last season.

Injuries suck and every coach and coordinator has to work around them instead of be excused for them.

This year Spagnuolo has some great talent to work with and I think we'll see a complete turnaround on defense. We get a few more players in the draft and a couple of guys off the bench and the defense will be the wrecking crew we demand from a NY Giants team.

Wilson wasn't an underlying injury. It was a neck stinger he picked up while on the field - it was just unfortunate that it became a disc thing that would've been life threatening had he continued taking hits. Sad. I hope he shines on the track. Heard he is gunning for the track nowadays

Wilson wasn't an underlying injury. It was a neck stinger he picked up while on the field - it was just unfortunate that it became a disc thing that would've been life threatening had he continued taking hits. Sad. I hope he shines on the track. Heard he is gunning for the track nowadays

It started as a neck stinger but test showed he had a narrower than normal spinal canal, which means any swelling in the discs causes extra pressure on the spinal cord and put him at considerable risk of long-term issues with any further neck injuries.