SportsWrath

Kennard back and healthy

Treehugger

Giants welcome LB Devon Kennard back into the fold

Devon Kennard hasn’t had much of an opportunity to prove himself to the Giants in his two seasons in the league. Since the club tagged him in the fourth round out of USC, the linebacker has missed 11 games in his career, including seven contests last season with a hamstring injury.

As the Giants convene at East Rutherford for offseason workouts, Kennard says what’s past is past.

“I am not worried about the past,” he said. “I had some hamstring issues and a foot issue last year and I am making sure I change the way I train and going into [the 2016 season] now I have learned a lot and I have just moves past all of that and I am not worried about all of that. It is a new year, new opportunity, and I feel like what I have been doing this offseason is going to prepare me to play, God willing, 24 games.”

His health will play a significant part in gauging the Giants’ reconstructed front seven. Kennard is the presumed starter at strong side, opposite J.T. Thomas, with the middle portion of their 4-3 alignment consisting of either Jasper Brinkley, who they signed to a one-year deal, and Keenan Robinson, a free agent brought over from the Redskins, and Kelvin Sheppard, who the club added after a 100-plus tackle season with the Dolphins.

In addition to the new faces, though, the Giants hope they can retain their health. Last season, they suffered some kind of injury to almost every starter on defense. Opponents took full advantage of those holes, easily exposing what finished the worst defense in the NFL both overall and against the pass.

In 12 appearances as a rookie, Kennard registered 43 tackles and 4.5 sacks; last season, he didn’t record a sack, but did pick up 56 tackles and an interception. Provided he can put his medical history behind him, the relative coaching stability the Giants have give him the confidence to move forward.

“This is the first time for me, actually, that I remember the same D-coordinator two years in a row,” Kennard said. “I am really excited for that. Although I learn fast and pick it up, to be able to really dive into the defense, it is a different offseason for me. I am really focused in on some of the details of what this defense is all about, and not so much the general scheme of things.”

No such thing as a Giants linebacker who is both good and healthy.

I have greater faith in seeing Bigfoot at the Super Bowl Halftime Show than Kennard lasting 16 games.

I'll settle for 12 out of 16