SportsWrath

Ranaan's 10 most likely picks for Giants in first round (he was right on Flowers last year)

Mr. P

After months of groundwork done from all corners of the country, the picture has begun to sharpen for the Giants and the No. 10 overall selection.

That is where they are scheduled to pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. It's their highest selection since, well, last year when they selected offensive tackle Ereck Flowers with the ninth overall pick.

The pressure is on general manager Jerry Reese more than ever to get this one right. He can't afford to miss after co-owner John Mara put the franchise's recent struggles and pressure on Reese's shoulders.

"Jerry knows this is on him. I've had that discussion with him," Giants co-owner John Mara said after his team missed the playoffs for a fourth straight year. "He can't hide from the record. It's up to you to get it fixed because the last three years just were not acceptable."

The reloading process began with free agency. It now extends to the draft, where Reese and draft boss Marc Ross have actually done well in the first round. The past three first-round picks have produced offensive lineman Justin Pugh, wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and offensive lineman Ereck Flowers, respectively.

Raanan mock draft, 2.0

All three are expected to be key pieces this season. Pugh is a solid starter, Beckham is among the league's best wide receivers and Flowers showed promise in a tough spot as a rookie at left tackle.

The Giants need to keep the streak going if they intend to end their playoff drought. Who will be the pick in the first round?

Let's start by ruling out any quarterbacks. The Giants aren't going there. Offensive tackles Laremy Tunsil and Ronnie Stanley are also non-factors because they're almost certain to be selected before the Giants pick, and Reese isn't trading up for a tackle after having made such heavy first-round investments in his offensive line over the past three drafts. But everyone else is on the board, in part because of potential trade-up options and slip downs.

Notable omissions from this year's list are defensive ends Shaq Lawson and Noah Spence. Lawson is considered more of a mid-to-late first-round prospect and Spence comes with too much baggage for the 10th overall selection. So eliminate them.

A physical specimen such as Georgia linebacker Leonard Floyd or a defensive playmaker such as cornerback Vernon Hargreaves are more likely options. They have the talent, upside and a decent chance to be available at No. 10.

Based on what I've heard from sources around the league and people inside and around the Giants organization over the past few months, they are among the players most likely to select with the No. 10 overall pick. Here are all 10 possibilities, in order.

(Here's last year's list with Flowers at No. 1)

10. DE Joey Bosa (Ohio St.)

It would take three quarterbacks in the first seven picks, a few other teams to inexplicably pass and a trade up for the Giants to land Bosa. In other words, it's almost certainly not happening. Not that the Giants wouldn't want it. The do-it-all dominant defensive end is considered a "can't-miss" prospect.

9. RB Ezekiel Elliott (Ohio St.)

Elliott can run, catch and block. But his position makes this a tough pick for the Giants, and he might not even be available with the Cowboys and Eagles among the top eight picks. After the way the last few years have unfolded with the Giants struggling so badly on defense, they're not going running back at No. 10 unless the disaster scenario (no quarterbacks and all the top defensive players and offensive linemen are off the board) unfolds. Elliott isn't graded that highly above everybody else in the draft for the Giants to go in that direction.

Giants pre-draft visit tracker

8. DE DeForest Buckner (Oregon)

In all likelihood, Buckner won't be available when the Giants pick. And they're not trading up for him. He's more ideally suited for a 3-4 defense. It's only if he's the last-standing premium defense talent that they take the mammoth defensive lineman with the 10th pick. Buckner would plug in as a left defensive end with the Giants, move inside on passing downs and be a force in the mold of Justin Tuck.

7. DB Jalen Ramsey (Florida St.)

The Giants would love to get their hands on Ramsey, likely as a safety. He may just be the best athlete in the draft, he's young and will only get better. They'd have to trade up to grab Ramsey though, and that move into the Top 5 is likely too costly.

6. WR Laquon Treadwell (Ole Miss)

Lately I've heard that there are people in the Giants building that like the Ole Miss receiver. It's the only reason he appeared on the list. Treadwell is still an unlikely selection and everything points to him being a mid-round selection. If the Giants move down to the 15th pick or whatever, sure. But I still don't see it happening at No. 10.

5. DE Kevin Dodd (Clemson)

If there is going to be a pass rusher that sneaks into the picture it's the other Clemson defensive end. Dodd (6-5, 277) played better as the season progressed last year and has tremendous upside and potential. He's strong and still growing into his body.

Drafting the next Giants star: Offensive line The Giants have the 10th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. Here's an offensive lineman they should consider taking.

4. OL Jack Conklin (Michigan State)

Don't be surprised if the Giants have Conklin rated ahead of Stanley. And he has a better chance of being there when the Giants pick in the first round. Conklin is long and tough, a player they can plug and play on the right side of the line. He'd be their right tackle for the next decade.

3. LB Myles Jack (UCLA)

If Jack 's knee allows him to get to No. 10 and the Giants are OK with him physically, there will be no hesitation. The versatile and explosive linebacker will immediately become the biggest weapon in defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's arsenal.

2. CB Vernon Hargreaves (Florida)

Don't let the size fool you. Hargreaves (5-foot-9) is the best cover cornerback in this draft. The Giants know it. They're just not sure if Hargreaves makes it to them.

1. LB Leonard Floyd (Georgia)

The Giants are high on Floyd. You can see why. He's 6-foot-6, 244 pounds and an explosive athlete. He can rush the passer, run sideline to sideline and cover. He did it all at Georgia. The only potential scare factor is his age (24 by the start of the season). The Giants see him as a weakside linebacker who can also play as a down lineman off the edge on passing downs. These skills make him the most likely selection with the 10th pick.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/04/2016_nfl_draft_10_most_likely_picks_for_giants_in.html

I think his top 2 picks are certainly the most likely.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/04/2016_nfl_draft_10_most_likely_picks_for_giants_in.html

I think his top 2 picks are certainly the most likely.

Agreed... but most desirable (assuming Jack is gone).

My personal preference is Jack... but if gone, then Floyd... Then Hargreaves...

Of course I'm assuming none of these guys is as dumb as Moore.

I look at the top 9 picks and try to identify the 9 draft picks that will go. You look at team needs, mock drafts, prospect rankings....

After some of that research, I think it's widely accepted that the following 7 are pretty much locks for the top 9.

Wentz, Goff, Ramsey, Tunsil, Bosa, Jack, Elliott.

That leaves guys like the following to take up the next several spots

Lee, Lawson, Stanley, Hargreaves, Floyd. It's from this group, that the Giants realistically are drafting from.

The trick in guessing the Giants pick is which of this second group makes it into the top 9 and who's left for the Giants at 10.

I don't think either of those are the pick. I think it's Stanley

I hope not. I just don't see him worthy of #10. And the comparisons to James Brewer didn't help either. Add to that the fact the Giants are under pressure to address the LB position... If either Jack or Floyd are there at 10, the Giants will take them... not sure they'll take the RB from Ohio... We haven't recovered from Wilson...

I hope not. I just don't see him worthy of #10. And the comparisons to James Brewer didn't help either. Add to that the fact the Giants are under pressure to address the LB position... If either Jack or Floyd are there at 10, the Giants will take them... not sure they'll take the RB from Ohio... We haven't recovered from Wilson...

I don't think that is an issue. We simply have too many options at RB and not enough elsewhere on the roster. I see nothing wrong with taking an offensive lineman as we still need a tackle and not hung up on the who. Giants managed to pick Flowers last year out of a group of potential candidates.

My only issue with Stanley is that we're looking for a RIGHT tackle. While it's a hole on the roster, that's a tough spot to spend a top pick on. I mean, it's not like we're putting him on the right side with intentions of moving him to the left a year from now.

I wouldn't discount either of the LBers, but hell...it's been how many years since the Giants took one in the first round? I just don't know that they pull the trigger this year at 10 overall. I could see them going DE or CB. If Hargreaves is there, I could see them take him. If Lawson is there, I could see that too.

What I find amusing is that you look at mock drafts and you see the top 7 or 8 getting fairly set (until the trade that shook things up a bit)...but you get down to 10 and the projections are all over the map. Nobody has a clue which direction the Giants are going with the pick.

My only issue with Stanley is that we're looking for a RIGHT tackle. While it's a hole on the roster, that's a tough spot to spend a top pick on. I mean, it's not like we're putting him on the right side with intentions of moving him to the left a year from now.

I wouldn't discount either of the LBers, but hell...it's been how many years since the Giants took one in the first round? I just don't know that they pull the trigger this year at 10 overall. I could see them going DE or CB. If Hargreaves is there, I could see them take him. If Lawson is there, I could see that too.

What I find amusing is that you look at mock drafts and you see the top 7 or 8 getting fairly set (until the trade that shook things up a bit)...but you get down to 10 and the projections are all over the map. Nobody has a clue which direction the Giants are going with the pick.

To be clear, we are looking for a tackle. There is no guarantee that Flowers is the left tackle of the decade, he is simply the only other tackle on the roster. If there was a better tackle on the roster, Flowers would move.

From what I've been reading so far, Floyd is the player we should avoid.

To be clear, we are looking for a tackle. There is no guarantee that Flowers is the left tackle of the decade, he is simply the only other tackle on the roster. If there was a better tackle on the roster, Flowers would move.

Why? I mean... I'd thought because of his knee issue which from what I hear is cleared up, he may be could possibly hopefully be there at 40... but he's still a 1st round talent.

6'6", 240 lbs, age 24.... this sounds like a man without a position. Too slight for the front seven, too long for the secondary.

His measurables are insane though.... he may break all the usual rules on what sort of physique you want at each spot on the field.

Exactly, this is why I've come around on Stanley. I hear the Giants beat writers say "they took their tackle last year" "you can't do that two years in a row" They took Flowers out of necessity and didn't necessarily take him to be a franchise LT they took him to play RT in hopes that Beatty was going to be the LT. Flowers was the best of a weak crop and if Stanley left school early then he is already a Giant right now. Of course the organization is going to say we are not moving Flowers before the draft. People think they tip their pick? No, it's a dumb argument against Stanley and of course they are not going to say we took a tackle last year but he was bad at LT so we are definitely going to find our franchise LT this year at 10

6'6", 240 lbs, age 24.... this sounds like a man without a position. Too slight for the front seven, too long for the secondary.

His measurables are insane though.... he may break all the usual rules on what sort of physique you want at each spot on the field.

The more I watched of Floyd the less impressed I was, especially has a fit for the Giants. They've tried this square peg in a round hole thing before with Sintim, Kiwi and Moore

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/4/18/11375742/2016-nfl-draft-breakdown-leonard-floyd-georgia-pass-rusher

Why? I mean... I'd thought because of his knee issue which from what I hear is cleared up, he may be could possibly hopefully be there at 40... but he's still a 1st round talent.

He's a 3-4 situation edge rushing/pass coverage LB.

He's not a 4-3 player unless the Giants convert him to a DE and try to make Clint Sintim 2.0 happen.

That was just a comparison in testing. Brewer blew up in testing and it was unexpected. It was not a comparison in their play. Offensive line scouts I read have compared Stanley to Ryan Clady and D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mel Kiper says he could be Walter Jones (HOF)

Exactly, this is why I've come around on Stanley. I hear the Giants beat writers say "they took their tackle last year" "you can't do that two years in a row" They took Flowers out of necessity and didn't necessarily take him to be a franchise LT they took to play RT in hopes that Beatty was going to be the LT. Flowers was the best of a weak crop and if Stanley left school early then he is already a Giant right now. Of course the organization is going to say we are not moving Flowers before the draft. You think they tip their pick? No, it's dumb argument against Stanley and of course they are not going to say we took a tackle last year but he was bad at LT so we are definitely going to find our franchise LT this year at 10

Stanley is another Flowers, strong but doesn't know how to play against speed/strength in the NFL.

I really don't want another developmental player, I want someone who is going to start day one.

Now if the Giants would somehow land Tunsil.

The more I watched of Floyd the less impressed I was, especially has a fit for the Giants. They've tried this square peg in a round hole thing before with Sintim, Kiwi and Moore

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/4/18/11375742/2016-nfl-draft-breakdown-leonard-floyd-georgia-pass-rusher

Yep, this is my fear... I really want a pure LB... Jack..and if Lee is too expensive at 10, trade down if possible. Otherwise, we have to look at the 2nd round.

That was just a comparison in testing. Brewer blew up in testing and it was unexpected. It was not a comparison in their play. Offensive line scouts I read have compared Stanley to Ryan Clady and D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mel Kiper says he could be Walter Jones (HOF)

Yea I know.. I'm just afraid he'll be a bust.. but again.. anyone can be.

Stanley is another Flowers, strong but doesn't know how to play against speed/strength in the NFL.

I really don't want another developmental player, I want someone who is going to start day one.

lol :cheers:

Reese probably does too given his situation. I'm guessing he goes for the biggest immediate splash

Na it is a different situation altogether. Floyd is already the guy the Giants wanted Sintim and Kiwanuka to be.

This is a high risk, high reward player, the guy everyone gives Reese shit about drafting, the athlete.

With all the free agency/pre-draft talk about Flowers being the left tackle next year, and he's not moving positions and blah, blah, blah...I figure the coaches pretty much can't go back on that, can they? Sure, the best player plays...but when you look at the pay disparity between left and right tackles...if you promised the left side to one guy already...it'd be kinda shitty to take it away from him.

That's kinda the reason I think the tackle they select should be slotted into the right side. But after they go through workouts and camps, if they switch them up...I really don't care. Point is, they need to bookend Flowers and they could do so by getting a RT as opposed to a LT.

As for Floyd, I've been weary of LBers under 250. I know speed rules the game these days and finding a 250+ with speed is tough. All that said, I thought the same about Shazier when he came out and the Steelers found a role for him. Of course, playing a 3-4 is different than a 4-3 when it comes to LBer size and maybe that's how they get away with it. I just don't know that the Giants are good enough on defense to use a guy like the Steelers use Shazier. Thing though with Floyd...he's 5 inches taller than Shazier and essentially the same weight.

Stanley is the complete opposite. He is great against speed rushers, mirrors well, can fire off the line and has improved his power. We also have Notre Dame's S&C coach now, so he probably has some inside info on Stanley. He is a day one starter

From NFL.COM

Three-year starter with the outstanding foot quickness and pass protection talent expected from an early round left tackle prospect. Stanley showed great maturity in acknowledging his weaknesses and returning to school to work on them and improve his game. While Stanleys core power is still a concern, he showed improved strength and run blocking prowess this year and should be ready to come in and start right away for a team looking to protect a high-­end quarterback.

Getting last year's draft right is not a major feat. This year are there are more options.

Flowers was not the conventional pick. Yes, it was commonly thought that the Giants would go OL, but the conventional thinking was it would be Scherff, or if not him, possibly Peat. Incidentally I was team Peat for most of the draft build-up, and after watching a lot of Flowers, switched to him and also mocked him to the Giants, I believe before Ranaan did. This year I think it's Floyd if he's there (at least right now, ask me in a week).