SportsWrath

Jerry Reese proves once again that he's clueless.

Sephiroth

Our newest linebacker.

:facepalm:

I have to say, the most troubling thing about Reese is that he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. We've been limping by on third-rate LBs for the past ten years and instead of signing, I don't know... somebody that's an NFL caliber player, we're getting Kelvin Sheppard and Keenan Robinson.

Even when we were winning Super Bowls, we had guys like Antonio Pierce and Michael Boley... not great, but passable. We don't even have a Chase Blackburn on the team right now.

Our newest linebacker.

:facepalm:

I have to say, the most troubling thing about Reese is that he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. We've been limping by on third-rate LBs for the past ten years and instead of signing, I don't know... somebody that's an NFL caliber player, we're getting Kelvin Sheppard and Keenan Robinson.

Even when we were winning Super Bowls, we had guys like Antonio Pierce and Michael Boley... not great, but passable. We don't even have a Chase Blackburn on the team right now.

Actually... Robinson, Brinkley, and Kennard are better than Chase or Boley ever were.

This is a pre-camp insurance signing, no more. Other than Travathan I didn't see a whole lot of FA talent at ILB on the market this year:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/inside-linebacker/

If we hadn't gone into camp with J.T. Thomas and Jonathan Casillas... and had to suffer through Aaron Curry, Keith Rivers, Jameel McClain, etc. I'd agree with you. However, Reese has a track record of this kind of signing, and they're almost always bad.

I mean, c'mon... this team at one point had Keith Rivers, Mark Herzlich, and Spencer Paysinger as STARTING linebackers. When is Reese going to take this position seriously?

Last Super Bowl we won, the starting linebackers were:

Mathias Kiwanuka

Michael Boley

Chase Blackburn

Not for nothing, but the worst of that group is better than the best of this current group. As stated Kennard might become something if he can stay healthy but the fact that we're trotting out Robinson and who-the-hell-knows at weakside backer is pretty damning. I know we have holes to fill all over the roster but I don' t think one NFL caliber player is too much to ask of your GM.

Until I see otherwise, this defense still blows, and linebacker is a huge reason why.

I'll judge this defense on yards and points allowed.

The only thing for certain is the Giants will not draft a linebacker until the 5th, at the very earliest.

I've got Antonio Morrison at the top of the Giants draft chart for linebacker. Everyone else will be long gone by the time the Genius sets his draft sights on the position.

This is a pre-camp insurance signing, no more. Other than Travathan I didn't see a whole lot of FA talent at ILB on the market this year:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/inside-linebacker/

There wasn't a whole lot but McClellan, Freeman, Laurinaitis, hell... I would've taken Derrick Johnson for 1-2 years while we groomed someone else to take the starting role.

We also win super bowls with third rate linebackers so we do get by with that level of talent at linebacker.

When the talent is overwhelming on the DL which the jury is still out on until we hit the field. And Pierce/Mitchell weren't 3rd rate by any means. Not top flight talent, but definitely not bottom feeders either.

When the talent is overwhelming on the DL which the jury is still out on until we hit the field. And Pierce/Mitchell weren't 3rd rate by any means. Not top flight talent, but definitely not bottom feeders either.

Probably why the Giants went above and beyond for talent on the defensive line during free agency. Jury won't be back in on a verdict for quite some time I think. Considering the money invested in the players, we'll need a couple years of work instead of a few games.

You can have the debate on the quality of our linebackers individually over the past ten years with Seph, he has some thoughts on it.

Probably why the Giants went above and beyond for talent on the defensive line during free agency. Jury won't be back in on a verdict for quite some time I think. Considering the money invested in the players, we'll need a couple years of work instead of a few games.

You can have the debate on the quality of our linebackers individually over the past ten years with Seph, he has some thoughts on it.

Done debating for now. Just wanna see the proper moves made to improve the roster and continuously providing a position group with subpar talent is a recipe for disaster that we haven't learned to avoid.

I think we really need a stand out linebacker on the defense. However, the lack of the pass rush was more of a problem than linebacker last year, imho. I think the group we have is capable of being a good unit. Again, not to say we shouldn't try to add a star like Jack or Floyd. But it's unfair to ask linebackers to cover all day when your defensive front isn't generating any pressure. And also with injuries, you should expect some struggles. The unit's success, without any further additions, will be largely tied to the health of Kennard and the other starters.

I think we really need a stand out linebacker on the defense. However, the lack of the pass rush was more of a problem than linebacker last year, imho. I think the group we have is capable of being a good unit. Again, not to say we shouldn't try to add a star like Jack or Floyd. But it's unfair to ask linebackers to cover all day when your defensive front isn't generating any pressure. And also with injuries, you should expect some struggles. The unit's success, without any further additions, will be largely tied to the health of Kennard and the other starters.

That's far too reasonable for this thread, Jim.

How about the fact that we practically don't have a starting RG or RT, and so for this offseason Reese has signed three offensive lineman who have started a total of 0 games last year, lol.

Hold that thought for after the draft

That's far too reasonable for this thread, Jim.

It's not like I'm asking for Taylor, Banks, and Carson. I'd be happy with Jessie Armstead or Antonio Pierce. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for one guy in an entire unit that's not a career backup.

I'd prefer not to, particularly because we have many other areas we need to fill, WR, CB, S, DE, etc. I'd prefer he sign at least one FA capable of starting on the right side.

Who in FA was worth a damn though? I think the team has done a great job this offseason so far addressing needs with superb talent... and it's not over yet...

It's not like I'm asking for Taylor, Banks, and Carson. I'd be happy with Jessie Armstead or Antonio Pierce. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for one guy in an entire unit that's not a career backup.

You got your AP in Robinson... Watch this kid become a star... and we have Kennard who's shown us somethings... and you better believe we'll get someone worth a damn in the draft... assuming there's one where we pick. I just don't see us picking someone who's a 3rd round talent in the 2nd and so on...

Who in FA was worth a damn though? I think the team has done a great job this offseason so far addressing needs with superb talent... and it's not over yet...

Ask the Bears which LBs were worth signing. As usual the Giants signed backups and injury risks for LBs in FA. I'd rather the money went to Trevathen and Freeman (I think those are the 2 LBs Chicago signed) then Jenkins. I'm with Carolina's Gentleman that shutdown corner is a myth.

Ask the Bears which LBs were worth signing. As usual the Giants signed backups and injury risks for LBs in FA. I'd rather the money went to Trevathen and Freeman (I think those are the 2 LBs Chicago signed) then Jenkins. I'm with Carolina's Gentleman that shutdown corner is a myth.

I agree shut down corner is a myth.... but that's not to say we should have gone after a LB and neglected the CB position either... I think CBs get a lot more action than LB simply because we're a pass happy league. You can't sign everyone... so the FO though going after a CB is a bit better than going after a LB.. and that's with everything being equal... I just don't get the cries this offseason when the offseason isn't over yet... I can't think of another team who's done so much this offseason than us.

Also I don't get this whole "injury prone"... Injuries are part of the game and the more aggressive a player is, the more likely he's to get injured... Beason is a prime example... great when on the field but damn he gets injured... the signing of KRob is a good one... a one year show me contract while we shore up the position... I happened to think KRob will shine... the same way AP shined for us years ago.

You got your AP in Robinson... Watch this kid become a star... and we have Kennard who's shown us somethings... and you better believe we'll get someone worth a damn in the draft... assuming there's one where we pick. I just don't see us picking someone who's a 3rd round talent in the 2nd and so on...

I hope you're right Nas but I'm not holding my breath. Didn't Robinson lose his job last year?

The biggest problem with a weak LB corps... and I haven't really been clear about this... is that your MLB is usually the "quarterback of the defense." He gets guys lined up, he calls the defensive audibles, etc. We haven't really had one of those since Pierce, though Blackburn was at least serviceable.