SportsWrath

Josh Norman: NFL Players Have ‘A Hit Out On’ Odell Beckham

Treehugger

By Michael Hurley, CBS Boston

BOSTON (CBS) — Five short years ago, the NFL had a full-fledged bounty “scandal” on its hands, having seemingly caught the New Orleans Saints for having a pay-to-injure program. Commissioner Roger Goodell came down harshly, suspending the head coach, defensive coordinator, general manager, assistant head coach, and four players for their roles in the program. He also took two second-round picks from the Saints.

The players eventually appealed their suspensions and won, but the message from the NFL was clear: bounty programs are not to be tolerated.

Fast-forward to 2016, and star cornerback Josh Norman may have peeled back the curtain on a different — but noteworthy — type of targeting.

In an interview with ESPN The Magazine, Norman discussed his history with Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham, a relationship that turned quite violent on the field last December. Though neither player got ejected, Beckham earned a suspension for diving helmet-first into the head of Norman.

via GIPHY

It’s not something Norman’s forgotten, and according to him, there are other players in the league who will seek retribution.

“People from around the league were coming up to me afterward and saying, ‘He does that crap all the time.’ He lost so much respect from people for that little tantrum,” Norman told ESPN. “I’ve already got a couple people telling me, ‘OK, I’ve got a hit out on him.’ It’s going to be rough for him this year. And he brought it on himself.”

Obviously, this is not Bountygate 2.0, but it’s easy to find some similarities in the two semi-organized plans to injure opposing players. And after such a comment like that goes public, the NFL has some responsibility to do what’s necessary to prevent gratuitous hits on a star wide receiver like Odell Beckham. If the league does nothing, only to later see Beckham suffer a serious concussion from one of these players who might “have a hit out on” him, it will not look good for a league that is eager to present a positive image with regard to player safety.

Of course, in terms of recourse, the NFL theoretically has very little … unless the league forces Norman to submit to an NFL investigation, in which he’ll either be forced to name names or face an indefinite suspension for damaging the integrity of the game.

But that would never happen under Goodell’s watch, would it?

Unfortunately for Norman, he may not have helped himself by saying this about Mr. Goodell: “I get that he makes the owners money, but literally anyone could do that [job]. A dog could. He’s a dog in a suit. … Horrible. He’s straight horrible.”

Goodell’s actions are so inconsistent that it’s difficult to forecast what he’ll do, but in any event, Norman may want to keep an eye on his mailbox. There could be some correspondence in some form on its way from Park Avenue.

Josh is Just a prick. I went to Coastal and got to see him play, it was nice seeing some one from the school make it. Now he just being a little bitch. He got in to it with Cam his own team mate. I see Namdaia Aswmigiuah( The Raider CB) 2.0

Eh, they're both bitches. Just different flavors.

Yea Norman is a southern closet homosexual bitch and has little NFL talent which is why the Redskins paid

obj is arguably the best WR in NFL history thru 2 seasons and a first round pick from a BiGTiME school and BiGTiME athletic genetics in his long bloodline. He's a diva bitch if anything

they are both whiny divas, obj is just the diva who let norman get in his head and acted like a little bitch with the cheapshot

hopefully obj learned his lesson because every single defender in the nfl now knows obj is gonna act like a spoiled kid if you poke at him

they are both whiny divas, obj is just the diva who let norman get in his head and acted like a little bitch with the cheapshot

hopefully obj learned his lesson because every single defender in the nfl now knows obj is gonna act like a spoiled kid if you poke at him

oh, Norman was dropping cheap shots too. Don't forget the body slam at the start of the game. It was every bit as ridiculous as Beckham's later, and consequent, head hunting.

oh, Norman was dropping cheap shots too. Don't forget the body slam at the start of the game. It was every bit as ridiculous as Beckham's later, and consequent, head hunting.

The body slam was nothing they were both just shoving after the whistle on a run play.

To actually go after a guy when the whistle has been blown is a cowards move that does nothing but show you're a bitch who think's hes bigger than the game or his team.

OBJ could of easily kept his cool and stayed in the game most likely helping the Giants win the game, instead he was one of the factors leading to the collapse.

He's one of the best in the game top thre WRs right now, but he needs to act like i, or else get used to OBJ's one game suspensions.

The body slam was nothing they were both just shoving after the whistle on a run play.

To actually go after a guy when the whistle has been blown is a cowards move that does nothing but show you're a bitch who think's hes bigger than the game or his team.

OBJ could of easily kept his cool and stayed in the game most likely helping the Giants win the game, instead he was one of the factors leading to the collapse.

He's one of the best in the game top thre WRs right now, but he needs to act like i, or else get used to OBJ's one game suspensions.

well that's not even close to accurate. It was a body slam; there's no cause for picking a guy up who wasn't even participating at that point, and then throwing him down; I've seen that same kind of thing called for unnecessary roughness when its done to a ball carrier. Its completely beyond the pale in a blocking context. If it was after the play, its a personal foul, if its during the play its either defensive holding or a personal foul, depending on which way the refs want to call it.

And the peel back helmet to helmet wasn't after the whistle either. It was dirty as fuck, definitely some Warren Sapp style shit, but it wasn't technically after the play (if you count the end of the play as 'the whistle'... which I do).

And there probably should be a suspension coming down on Norman for this. Putting 'hits' out on players? Not acceptable.

Given that was the subtext of the game against Carolina last year too - that they were going to take Beckham off the field, forever - I don't entirely blame Beckham for losing his shit and trying to retaliate in kind. He should have kept his cool, and I hope he learned his lesson, but I get it; to a guy like him, who's never really seen any real shit in his life, the head games Norman and the Panthers were playing probably seemed pretty real to Beckham. But all the same, that's why the league needs to come down on 'putting out a hit' - because when that happens, instead of playing a game, those men have to go out there and protect themselves in an entirely different way; instead of a game that resembles a battle, it actually becomes a battle.

I think ODB is maturing... and have learned quite a bit from that incident... of course it didn't help that Tom Coughlin played dead then.

The fact that the panthers put a franchise tag on this guy and just flat out let him walk, to me speaks volumes as to what type of guy "Josh" is.

ANd add to that the fact he's still running his mouth about ODB...what a clown.