SportsWrath

Official NFL Draft 2017 thread

Bigblue25

I'm glad we didn't move up to get Howard. As much as I'd have blown my load to get him at 23, there were still too many good players that we knew we'd have a shot at. Lamp, Ramczyk, Njoku, Foster, etc...there was going to be a guy there that we knew would help us, so there was no need to jump up.

I am a bit surprised to have seen Engram go before Njoku...that's the only thing that has me scratching my head a bit...but at 234, 6'3...with a 4.42 40 speed...I could very easily see 4 receiver sets...OBJ and Marshall on the outside with Engram and Shepard in the slots. Have Ellison on the line or in the backfield to help block...I just think that would force single coverage somewhere and each of those guys seems to have the ability to beat it.

I know we're all focused on our new guy, but I'm surprised nobody brought up the Bears/49ers trade. We should take a collection to buy the Bears GM a rape kit.

If Mitch was the guy they loved and thought he was next level you gotta go for it. Who knows what other teams were offering.

I would've been thrilled to move up and get Howard too but the more I see and read about engram the more I love the pick. Remember how often tye seemed to be open? Now it'll be this guy with that speed running those routes

So far so good for the Giants in the draft by my view. They didn't draft a QB when the media thought they should.

Maybe the Giants draft Taylor Morton in the second to anchor the RT position this year. Wouldn't mind a linebacker but we still have that soft offensive line.

I mean if a team knows you are desperate enough to make a trade, like the Gints would have been if they were scrambling for Howard, what makes you think a team wouldn't of fucked us six ways to Sunday?

What makes you think the Giants wouldn't have contacted Tennessee early enough to not be "scrambling" if they actually wanted to make the effort? Isnt it part of a GM's job to keep that from happening? What's the problem with at least finding out what they wanted for 18 when Howard fell to 13 or 14?

It could of easily been a second round pick, or multiple 3rd-4th round picks.

We'll never know how much or how little they would've wanted because Reese didn't make the effort to inquire.

Besides Engram is far and away the better pass catcher between the two, Howard is just a more complete TE.

You're right... I forgot... Reese doesn't value those.

One thing to keep in mind though, how often does MacAttack rely on a TE to block? His gameplan isnt designed around it, the RB has more responsibility in blocking than the TE.

In the passing game, yes. But we still need a balance on offense. Something that was sorely lacking last season. And before we come up with "that's why we got Ellison" what happens if Ellison goes down? Do we abandon the run game? Why make our offense more predictable?

The kid is in Blue now, so I hope he proves me wrong for the next 15 years, but I see a wasted pick right now and a very missed opportunity. And I'm just bringing up Howard because that's the "position" we drafted.

Did you see what teams were paying to move up, even a few spots? To move up 5 spots at that point would have cost our #2 at least and maybe our 4th, too. I'm just as happy with the way it turned out.

That has way more to do with Chicago's gm allowing himself to haggled than just that being the going "price" for the trade. Plus we're talking a top 3 pick vs 23->18. Again... what's the problem with inquiring?

If Mitch was the guy they loved and thought he was next level you gotta go for it. Who knows what other teams were offering.

Shit, I get that, but to move up 1 pick...hell, they probably could've moved down 1 pick, RECEIVED those picks and still gotten their guy. If another team traded up to get Mitch, then you take Watson or Mahomes. Nobody has any of these QBs head and shoulders above the rest. Nobody. It's a mediocre class at best by all accounts. I can't believe that the Bears are the only ones that are correct in thinking Mitch is worth all that.

Even if Mitch becomes a perennial probowler, you and I both know damn well that even the Bears aren't expecting that at this point.

End of the day, Bears got dicked over...hard...and they let it happen.

Again... I see the upside to giving Eli another weapon. Especially one as versatile as Engram is. I just have a major issue with drafting another tweener or one dimensional player when a more complete player at that same position is within reach and we made no effort to try and get him.

That being said... I hope Engram goes out and wins OROY after putting up a 1000 yard 10 TD season and helping us with Super Bowl number 5. He's in Blue now... why would I wish failure on him?

Funny thing is that the bears beat sf in week 13. That win cost them those draft picks

Maybe I'm not understanding all of the dynamics at play here but wouldn't the fact that they were accepting your deal to move up one spot indicate that they weren't taking Trubisky and he'd be there for the next pick?

Maybe I'm not understanding all of the dynamics at play here but wouldn't the fact that they were accepting your deal to move up one spot indicate that they weren't taking Trubisky and he'd be there for the next pick?

I guess they were afraid someone would jump in front of them. I didn't think it was a very good trade, but I also think Glennon has a shot to be good

They shopped another offer they received. Basically said, "if you don't move up, we're moving down, and another team is going to get Trubisky."

I guess they were afraid someone would jump in front of them. I didn't think it was a very good trade, but I also think Glennon has a shot to be good

Oh right, I didn't think of that.

They shopped another offer they received. Basically said, "if you don't move up, we're moving down, and another team is going to get Trubisky."

Sounds like the Bears got played...unless the 9ers really didn't want to slide down further than 3rd. You'd think the first rounder they'd get from another team would have been more appealing than the Bears picks...then again, sounds like they used one to move back into the first round towards the end.

Shit, I get that, but to move up 1 pick...hell, they probably could've moved down 1 pick, RECEIVED those picks and still gotten their guy. If another team traded up to get Mitch, then you take Watson or Mahomes. Nobody has any of these QBs head and shoulders above the rest. Nobody. It's a mediocre class at best by all accounts. I can't believe that the Bears are the only ones that are correct in thinking Mitch is worth all that.

Even if Mitch becomes a perennial probowler, you and I both know damn well that even the Bears aren't expecting that at this point.

End of the day, Bears got dicked over...hard...and they let it happen.

I've thought all along Mitch was head and shoulders above the other QB's in this class. I think he's a franchise QB. With Mahomes, he was my 2nd guy, and I like him, but I think he's more of a gamble. A good gamble, though. Easy guy to root for (all of the first round QBs are), I think Mahomes has the tools, but I just saw Trubisky make NFL throws over and over in clutch spots, so I know he's not going to shrink under pressure. I think you have to start Glennon early, though, and only put in Trubisky when you are sure he's ready, which may not be until 2018.

Sounds like the Bears got played...unless the 9ers really didn't want to slide down further than 3rd. You'd think the first rounder they'd get from another team would have been more appealing than the Bears picks...then again, sounds like they used one to move back into the first round towards the end.

The picks I'm sure would've been more appealing than what they got from the Bears, but they only moved down 1 spot, as well. I'm sitting at #3 and I can trade out of that as well if I want, or still get the best defensive player in the draft after Garrett. And maybe they did, I like Jamal Adams or Lattimore for them. But I have no doubt Solomon Thomas is going to be a big time baller. If Garrett wasn't in this draft everyone would be talking about what a stud Thomas is and potentially going first overall.

I've thought all along Mitch was head and shoulders above the other QB's in this class. I think he's a franchise QB. With Mahomes, he was my 2nd guy, and I like him, but I think he's more of a gamble. A good gamble, though. Easy guy to root for (all of the first round QBs are), I think Mahomes has the tools, but I just saw Trubisky make NFL throws over and over in clutch spots, so I know he's not going to shrink under pressure. I think you have to start Glennon early, though, and only put in Trubisky when you are sure he's ready, which may not be until 2018.

To me, if a QB isn't going to be ready to start day 1 of his rookie year, he's not a top 10 overall pick, let alone valuable enough to through 4 or 5 picks at...especially when the 2nd best QB is a guarantee.

To me, if a QB isn't going to be ready to start day 1 of his rookie year, he's not a top 10 overall pick, let alone valuable enough to through 4 or 5 picks at...especially when the 2nd best QB is a guarantee.

Like Eli Manning?

Yeah I agree

Ready to start is important and this QB class is everything but that. Time will tell if the Bears made the right move, doesn't look like it right now.

The kid is in Blue now, so I hope he proves me wrong for the next 15 years, but I see a wasted pick right now and a very missed opportunity. And I'm just bringing up Howard because that's the "position" we drafted.

Once again our posts are nothing bot conjecture but you make it seem like wheeling and dealing in the NFL is as simple as it is in Madden 2017.

Maybe JR had Engram higher on their board, MacAttack could like the guy more for the offense than a guy like Howard.

And the whole "what happens is Ellison goes down" is just nonsense, you cant have a backup for your backup who is NFL ready. What happens if Eli goes down? what happens if OBJ goes down, what happens if Collins goes down? We could play the game all day and talk about how we wouldn't have anyone to fill those positions.

MacAttack will never have a balanced offense, and I dont understand why people think he is going to suddenly become one especially when the Olines biggest weakness is it's run blocking. What would be the point of drafting a guy like Howard and sticking him on the line play after play having him run block, pass block, just to waste his talent ala Shockey 2.0

Not to mention Engram himself isnt a slouch of a blocker, he can hold CBs out of plays, but is big enough to get LBs off their paths.

Engram was not on my radar pre-draft, but having now gone back and watched some tape, he seems to block much better when he's not in line. When he's in the slot, on running plays, he does some nice things.

Basically, he's Aaron Hernandez. But hopefully not psychotic.

Once again our posts are nothing bot conjecture but you make it seem like wheeling and dealing in the NFL is as simple as it is in Madden 2017.

Maybe JR had Engram higher on their board, MacAttack could like the guy more for the offense than a guy like Howard.

And the whole "what happens is Ellison goes down" is just nonsense, you cant have a backup for your backup who is NFL ready. What happens if Eli goes down? what happens if OBJ goes down, what happens if Collins goes down? We could play the game all day and talk about how we wouldn't have anyone to fill those positions.

MacAttack will never have a balanced offense, and I dont understand why people think he is going to suddenly become one especially when the Olines biggest weakness is it's run blocking. What would be the point of drafting a guy like Howard and sticking him on the line play after play having him run block, pass block, just to waste his talent ala Shockey 2.0

Not to mention Engram himself isnt a slouch of a blocker, he can hold CBs out of plays, but is big enough to get LBs off their paths.

For the love of God... What's so difficult about making a fucking phone call? If the price is too high then fuck it. Stay put and take Engram.

Reese himself said Engram was the 2nd TE on their board so that point is moot.

Ellison potentially going down was mentioned solely to cross those coming up with the bs line of "We signed Ellison to be our blocking TE." Call me old school but TEs need to be able to do both.

No one said 50/50 in Mac's offense. What I want is our offense not having to be in the 11 personnel on 95% of the snaps. I want to make sure we can blow a DL off the ball when needed and I don't see him at 230lbs being able to do that to an NFL DE when he's put in that situation to help our piss poor run blocking OL.

And seeing as how this keeps being lost on everyone I talk to I'll state it again... I hope to God he proves me wrong for the next 15 years. I hope he's OROY. And when Marshall retires I hope he can transition into his role seemlessly and help the next QB become greater than Eli.