SportsWrath

The erosion of Eli: The Giant problem with the franchise QB

Nas

In hindsight.... although Eli has been mediocre for a very long time... but in hindsight... thinking Eli still had a couple of years left was a very wrong assumption.... For the first time in a very long time I was seeing Dave Brown out there...

If it weren't for the fact that he's getting David Carr'd out there, I'd still like to see him perform with a little time. Beckham is double covered on almost every play. That means Eli has to look off him to let his route develop. By the time he does that, the rush is on him. The rest of the stuff, tipped int's fumbles, inaccuracy- that's been going on his entire career.

A QB who's a threat to run can hold up 1 or 2 rushers whose job it is to protect the outside. I'd say this is 75% on the Oline

I dont believe anyone who said Manning was the problem back in 2014 and 2015. Damian Woody is a faggot for saying that. Jealous Jet cunt.

Anyways. Eli Manning is shot, not all of it is his fault. Hes got David Carr disease. No cure for it.

Eli Manning is not David Carr and a blocking offensive line would be a good start

Difference this year is he isn't making many plays even when he has time. I understand he has always had times were he looked like crap, only to come back and look good again. Would throw two picks in the first quarter, then lead the game winning drive in the 4th. We are seeing next to nothing from him now though.

When he did hang in there and get the ball downfield, his feet looked desperate and the throws were poor.

I hate to say it, but... It's time to move on. Probably wouldn't be the case if the OL had been respectable all these years, but there's nothing that can fix that now.

Was just reading an article about a new metric ESPN is working on which objectively measures offensive line performance, pass block win rate.

Good is about 50%. Really bad is about 30%.

Against the Eagles the Giants were at 5%.

So partly, I'm saying it's time to move along from Eli because I don't want to see him killed out there.

Was just reading an article about a new metric ESPN is working on which objectively measures offensive line performance, pass block win rate.

So partly, I'm saying it's time to move along from Eli because I don't want to see him killed out there.

i agree- although, he seems to be made of silly putty because he always bounces back. that last hit, i thought i saw pieces of brain come out, yet he jogged over to the sidelines like nothin.

He'll keep bouncing back. There was one defining game for me when it comes to the durability of Eli Manning and that was the NFC conference championship game against the 49ers. He got absolutely crushed that game. Sadly he won't die on the field like a warrior but in the media as a scapegoat.

Yeah, according to PFF the Giants have the 24th best line in the league, or the 8th worst depending on how you look at it. Incedentally, Pugh and Richburg are both rated pretty terribly.

Eli's skills are eroding for sure, but if we were to stick some green-assed rookie behind this line we really would end up with the next David Carr. That's why I suggested in the other thread that we draft a QB first, then the best interior O-lineman we can find, and add another one in free agency (a good one... not Patrick Omameh).

Like it or not, Eli is the best option this year. Just as we were saying about Webb last year, it'd be tough to evaluate any rookie when they only have a second and a half to get rid of the ball.

Yeah Temp, that game against the 9ers was definitely top 3 of Eli's best games ever. He was not only taking an unbelievable beating, but was getting right back up and completing passes. You couldn't tell by looking at him, but he has been the most durable QB in his time.

Remember in the beginning of 07 when he basically separated his shoulder? Doctor told him he'd be out 4 to 6 weeks minimum. He was back on the field the next week. Didn't miss a single game.

so I'm watching Pittsburgh - Cincinnati....

Just for fun, or to torture myself, I'm specifically focusing on the protection and counting out how much time Dalton and Rapelisberger have to throw.... routinely three seconds, and usually the pressure isn't even a factor at all.

So this is what competent blocking looks like.

I can't help but think that if Eli had this kind of protection - the Bengals OL isn't even average - we'd be winning some games.

four seconds for Rapelisberger on that last throw, and he doesn't even get touched, jesus….

anybody start a 2019 free agent offensive line thread yet?

Just for fun, or to torture myself, I'm specifically focusing on the protection and counting out how much time Dalton and Rapelisberger have to throw.... routinely three seconds, and usually the pressure isn't even a factor at all.

I can't help but think that if Eli had this kind of protection - the Bengals OL isn't even average - we'd be winning some games.

four seconds for Rapelisberger on that last throw, and he doesn't even get touched, jesus.

Good offensive lineman are almost never available in free agency except for the overpriced ones..... our draft picks should be QB OL, OL.

four seconds for Rapelisberger on that last throw, and he doesn't even get touched, jesus….

We're still on Eli at the moment. I'd be surprised if the Giants jump back into the free agency trying to fill holes with big signings in 2019. We have some home grown talent that we need to keep.