SportsWrath

Giants trade for Leonard Williams

Herc

So Leonard Williams and his 7 sacks in 2 1/2 years and who you're going to have to pay $10mm + per year in a long term contract is part of the solution, but BJ Hill, with 5.5 sacks in 1 1/2 years and three years left on his cheap rookie contract is not????

So we're going to pay a $9-10mm premiums and two draft picks for 1.5 more sacks????

I'm not Getty lol I don't know what he's going to do.

But we have a lot of other core players to pay on this team coming up these next 1 to 2 years.

I'm just saying they are not going to pay Hill, Leonard and Tomlinson and more than likely either Tomlinson or Hill hit free agency.

I'm not Getty lol I don't know what he's going to do.

But we have a lot of other core players to pay on this team coming up these next 1 to 2 years.

I'm just saying they are not going to pay Hill, Leonard and Tomlinson and more than likely either Tomlinson or Hill hit free agency.

So we have a lot of other core payers to pay in the next 1-2 years, yet now we're going to have to pay Williams during that same time, at a $10mm premium, vs Hill's rookie contract....for 1.5 more sacks?

And we gave up a 3 and a 4....

So we have a lot of other core payers to pay in the next 1-2 years, yet now we're going to have to pay Williams during that same time, at a $10mm premium, vs Hill's rookie contract....for 1.5 more sacks?

And we gave up a 3 and a 4....

It seems to be you think that I agree with this trade.

The only thing I can rationalize in this trade is potentially (speculating here on what they might be thinking):

- Williams has underachieved, particularly the past three years

- Perhaps the staff thinks he still has potential and that they can bring it out and turn him into a pro bowler (he's only 25)

- Perhaps Getty thinks because he has underachieved, he may be able to ink him to a long term deal that's not too expensive (e.g. instead of $15-20mm per year that he might have to pay a top defensive player, maybe get Williams for something like 5 years $50mm).

Also, better system fit?

Greg Rosenthal is reporting that there's a small potential contingency. If the Giants don't sign Williams to a long term deal, they could get a 3-4th round compensatory pick in 2021 for letting Williams go in free agency. Those would be late picks in each of those rounds, but still.

Not saying it's good...just pointing out the implications. Of course, the drawback of that scenario is the giants would ditch a 5th rounder, and move back ~30-60 spots on an earlier pick....just to see Leonard Williams for 8 games.

Sometimes I think i see what the Giants plans are... then we spend a 3rd and 5th round pick to get eight games out of a guy that's not only just an average player, but plays a position where we already have three players just as good.

Sometimes I think i see what the Giants plans are... then we spend a 3rd and 5th round pick to get eight games out of a guy that's not only just an average player, but plays a position where we already have three players just as good.

And joins a cast that is already sub-par at rushing the passer.

I don't think it is a bad trade, I think it is simply a trade that beefs up a defensive line while we are still in need of help in other areas. Leonard Williams is a good player, we have young competitive group on the defensive line. Waste of time to speculate how much he will want in the off-season, I think it will be a humbling experience.

I would say the team who has his rights as he enters free agency gets first dibs and usually the best shot at retaining him so I dont know why its a big deal that they get him for 8 more games than that. They also gave up a 3rd and 4th for a first round talent, if that plays out.

Benefit of doubt - he has beem a top notch run-stopper/tackler. He is 1st round talent and is under 25. Dude doesnt have an injury history and probably is not a good fit there....his talents might be better utilized here (wishful obviously).

If thats a shot - ill take a 2020 3rd and a 2021 5th for that anyday

I would say the team who has his rights as he enters free agency gets first dibs and usually the best shot at retaining him so I dont know why its a big deal that they get him for 8 more games than that. They also gave up a 3rd and 4th for a first round talent, if that plays out.

He's an unrestricted free agent so the Giants get no dibs....and just gave up two draft picks to see him for 8 games.