SportsWrath

New York Giants Pre-draft Private Visit Tracker

Tempest

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/ContentGallery/New-York-Giants-Pre-Draft-Private-Visit-Tracker-Live-Updated-116958935/

Leaving out the obvious first round picks and focusing on second through fourth rounds.

The Giants have used a different strategy so far during the pre-draft process than we saw under former general manager Jerry Reese. The old regime would use in-house private visits almost exclusively for prospects with red flags when it came to injuries or off-field troubles. The new regime is using their pre-draft private visits for actual potential targeted players in the draft class.

Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State: Penny was one of the many running backs the Giatns prioritized using one of their 60 NFL combine interview on in addition to a pre-draft private visit (one of 30). It’s clear the Giants will prioritize running the football. Penny is one of the most intriguing running backs in this draft class as he was undoubtedly the most productive back in the class but he didn’t do it against Power 5 Conference competition. Penny racked up 2,254 rushing yards (7.8 ypc) on 290 carries in 2017. He dominated with Pro Football Focus’ top elusive rating in the class - an advanced metric that factors in forced missed tackles and yards after contact in an attempt to distinguish a runner’s success independent of his blocking. Penny also finished with the highest percentage of yardage on breakaway runs (PFF stat that factors in how often a RB brakes off run plays of 15 yards or more). According to PFF< 30 of his 290 carries went for 15 yards or more. The 5 foot 11 and 220 pound back who ran a blazing 4.47 40 yard dash performed well when used in the passing game, but he saw just 24 pass targets (and caught 18 of them) in 2017. Penny’s struggles and lack of experience in pass protection and as a receiver are the only reason why he has a chance to drop into round three.

Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP: One of the “Hog Molly” offensive lien prospects on the New York Giants radar heading into the 2018 NFL Draft. The Giants will likely be targeting Hernandez, if they confirm they like what they see, at the top of the second round with the No. 34 overall pick in the draft. The Giants could also consider trading back into the first round to grab Hernandez. the 6 foot 2 and 327 pound offensive lineman is the definition of a Gettleman “Hog Molly.” At the 2018 NFL Combine, Hernandez ripped off 37 bench presses — the most of any offensive lineman in the 2018 class. hernandez performed well in both the Senior Bowl practices and game. He also drew rave reviews for his overall body of work at the Combine. NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah ranked Hernandez as the No. 25 overall prospect in the entire draft class.

Darius Leonard, OLB/ILB, South Carolina State: Leonard is the new age NFL linebacker with the speed and aggression to impact the defense as a blitzed, in coverage as a linebacker, and in stopping the run. Leonard has shot up draft boards after a strong Senior Bowl week despite playing at a small school. The 6 foot 1 and 229 pound rangy linebacker had consecutive 100 plus tackle seasons with at least 5 sacks in each season.

Josh Sweat, DE/EDGE, Florida State: 2018 NFL Draft prospect to keep an eye on as a potential target for the New York Giants with their second round pick at No. 34 overall. Although the Giants entered the offseason with two highly-paid bookend defensive ends, they traded away Jason Pierre-Paul and never had much depth behind them. After Olivier Vernon and recently -signed edge Kareem Martin, unproven 2017 fifth-round pick Avery Moss, former UDFA Romeo Okwara, and run-stopper Kerry Wynn are the only possible outside linebackers on the roster. New Giants general manager Dave Gettleman prioritized edge rushers and defensive linemen during his tenure as Carolina Panthers general manager, so we can expect the Giants to consider investing at the position with any of their first four draft picks.

Sweat was not as productive as Florida State had hoped for, but he was one of the nation’s top high school recruits and his athleticism that could intrigue new defensive coordinator James Bettcher. In the end, Giants will likely decide on the next edge rusher based on who projects to fit Bettcher’s scheme the best. The 6 foot 4 and 251 pound linebacker/edge specifically impressed during his Florida State Pro Day. Sweat’s strong Pro Day performance followed an eye opening set of athletic testing at the 2018 NFL Combine. In Indianapolis at the combine, Sweat posted a composite athletic testing score in the 95th percentile of all NFL defensive linemen. No edge rusher was even close to as athletic at the combine and Sweat dominated the competition with his 4.53 40 yard dash. Sweat’s raw speed could factor into the Giants viewing him as a potential linebacker who can not only rush the passer but also add value in pass coverage.

Vita Vea, DT/3-4DE/NT, Washington: The Giants are scheduled to host Washington defensive tackle Vita Vea (6 foot 4, 347) on a pre-draft visit. In the latest 247Sports mock draft, the California native was projected to the Miami Dolphins at No.11 overall. The Giants could be considering selecting him if he slips into the top of Round 2 or if they trade back. NFL Network’s Lance Zierlein compares the defensive tackle to Danny Shelton. Vea’s tape can be frustrating because he flashes star potential one series and then looks average the next. With that said, he’s still very raw and should be judged by his ability rather than just his results as he should unlock his potential with more coaching. Vea has the size and power to play nose in an odd or even front and he could be targeted by 3-4 teams looking for a dominant run defender on the end. He should work into a defensive line rotation immediately and has the ability to become a good NFL starter for years. NFL talent evaluators are likely hoping for production similar to Haloti Ngata than Shelton. Although, it is still early in Shelton’s career, Vea is best suited to be a true nose tackle in a 30-4 base defensive alignment.

Tre’Quan Smith, WR, Central Florida: The 6 foot 2, 230 pounder wide receiver could replace Brandon Marshall if the Giants decide to move on from the big-bodied wide receiver after he passes his physical. Smith had one of the best size/speed scores of any wide receiver at the combine, running a 4.49 40 yard dash at 230 pounds. According to Pro Football Focus, Smith had the highest quarterback rating when targeted of any wide receivers in the draft class. The only receiver within five points of Smith’s 142.9 rating was Texas Tech wideout Keke Coutee, who checked in with a 139.4 when targets, per PFF.

I was actually thinking this the other day, not to much news of Giants bringing players in.

I would love to land a guy like Josh Sweat, the kid would make a great pass rusher in the 3-4 scheme.

I read only positive things about WR Smith as well, just a really big WR who fights for the ball, if all this OBJ trade talk is true, I could see the Giants grabbing this guy in the second, or with the extra pick the Giants get from the OBJ trade.

I was actually thinking this the other day, not to much news of Giants bringing players in.

I would love to land a guy like Josh Sweat, the kid would make a great pass rusher in the 3-4 scheme.

I read only positive things about WR Smith as well, just a really big WR who fights for the ball, if all this OBJ trade talk is true, I could see the Giants grabbing this guy in the second, or with the extra pick the Giants get from the OBJ trade.

Most reporters are busy covering their Beckham Jr trade story.

OG Will Hernandez in the second round is a great choice. DT/NT Vita Vea sounds like the classic Jerry Reese bust pick. I understand jumping on a guy with a first round grade in the second and Hernandez is also in that category but I think he is the better overall player instead of potential player.

Rashad Penny looks like a decent back. He seems to have really good vision and definitely runs hard. I'd argue vision is the most important thing for a back to have. He doesn't seem to have breakaway speed or top-end elusiveness but I can see him being a productive back at the next level, kind of reminds me a little bit of Ahmad Bradshaw.

The guy I'm really in love with though is Nick Chubb, projected in the third. Great power, good vision, and sneaky fast. From what I heard, his combine numbers were comparable to Barkley. I know he had a knee injury but to me he looks like an elite player. If he's still there that's a guy we need to grab.

I have a chubb for Chubb :wub:

OBJ just kept quiet throughout this whole fucking bullshit propagated by this Ian Rapeaport fuckface - and has even reported for Voluntary OTAs. YTF are people still talking shit about a trade? We draft a QB next year - he is going need OBJ to help him out during his initial pains - something Eli never had.

OBJ just kept quiet throughout this whole fucking bullshit propagated by this Ian Rapeaport fuckface - and has even reported for Voluntary OTAs. YTF are people still talking shit about a trade? We draft a QB next year - he is going need OBJ to help him out during his initial pains - something Eli never had.

Because all they have are the talking heads at ESPN that will spin everything Beckham does into Nazi levels of horrible... and unfortunately most are too gullible to know when they're being led around like sheep.

Because all they have are the talking heads at ESPN that will spin everything Beckham does into Nazi levels of horrible... and unfortunately most are too gullible to know when they're being led around like sheep.

did you see that shit head Ray Lewis said?

Manning had Toomer and Tiki Barber. No slouches. But point taken, nonetheless.