SportsWrath

Sources: Giants to cut Baas

Herc

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/10584730/new-york-giants-release-center-david-baas

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

The New York Giants have decided to release center David Baas, two sources told ESPN.com on Monday.

Baas has been the Giants' starting center since signing as a free agent from the San Francisco 49ers in 2011, but he has struggled to stay fully healthy, and his 2013 season ended early as a result of a neck injury.

The decision to release Baas likely indicates the Giants believe, based on the conversations they've had with agents over the past three days, that they will be able to sign a free-agent center to replace him. Green Bay's Evan Dietrich-Smith and New Orleans' Brian De La Puente are two free-agent centers in whom the Giants have expressed interest.

It's unclear whether Baas will be an outright release or whether they will designate him a June 1 cut. The latter would make more sense, as they would save $5 million against this year's salary cap if they went that route, and only $1.775 million by making the cut effective Monday.

Baas will become a free agent right away -- the only difference would be that the Giants wouldn't be able to use the cap savings until June 2. That's not a major issue for them, as they have plenty of cap space with which to operate when free agency opens at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

Baas started 11 regular-season games and all four postseason games for the Giants in 2011, including their Super Bowl victory against the New England Patriots. He started 16 games in 2012 in spite of nagging injuries, but only three in 2013. The Giants have identified offensive line as a priority this offseason and intend to get younger and better there for the short-term, as well as the long-term.

One of the sources said the Giants also were close to announcing a new two-year deal for free-agent cornerback Trumaine McBride and a new contract for kicker Josh Brown.

While this appears to be a good move, I'll wait until they announce his replacement before I get too excited.

I don't see them as related... this guy was worthless given the size of his contract... let's cut our losses and move on. I'm ok with 2014 being an eh year... Now I want Rolle's contract to be trimmed a little... so is Eli's.

I don't see them as related... this guy was worthless given the size of his contract... let's cut our losses and move on. I'm ok with 2014 being an eh year... Now I want Rolle's contract to be trimmed a little... so is Eli's.

As bad as Baas was, he was the only C we had under contract. Not comfortable parting ways not having a C at all.

As bad as Baas was, he was the only C we had under contract. Not comfortable parting ways not having a C at all.

He was practically worthless... And it's not like the Giants can't sign or draft a center.

He was practically worthless... And it's not like the Giants can't sign or draft a center.

I'll admit, he wasn't great...but it's arguable that he was still better than any draft pick we might have a chance at.

If we can get EDS or BDLP in free agency, it's a moot point. But until one of them is signed, we have nobody to snap the ball to Eli...nobody.

I'll admit, he wasn't great...but it's arguable that he was still better than any draft pick we might have a chance at.

If we can get EDS or BDLP in free agency, it's a moot point. But until one of them is signed, we have nobody to snap the ball to Eli...nobody.

Correct but it's not like he was the one snapping the ball last season.. he really warmed the bench and his contract (I'm biased towards the $$$ of any contract) his contract was just too much given the production or lack thereof.

I appreciate Baas being healthy and effective during that 2011 SB run.

Guy was just snakebit with injuries.....pretty sure he failed his most recent physical.

Seems like a class act, though.....this is what he said after he was cut......

......“The Giants have been absolutely fantastic,’’ Baas said. “They definitely have changed mine and my family’s lives forever. Once we get the health issues taken care of, we’ll go from there, and maybe there’s another chance [to play]. Coming back to the Giants, who knows? They’ve just been really great and the medical staff has been excellent. I enjoyed playing for Tom Coughlin.

“I wish Tom Coughlin could have been my head coach my entire career. That would have been nice. [Offensive line coach Pat] Flaherty and everybody, they’ve just been awesome. I can’t say enough good things about the Giants organization, the owners and everybody. It’s part of the game. I thank them and definitely am grateful for everything they’ve done.”.....

http://nypost.com/2014/03/12/david-baas-at-crossroads-after-release-by-giants/