SportsWrath

You can not seriously tell me

Plow

that between these 3 deals...

6 yrs 103 mil essentially for dice k

5 yrs 70 mil for JD Drew

4 yrs 36 mil for Julio lugo

at least one does not look like a disaster in 3 years from now.

I'm sorry, yeah a few of Drew's injuries were freak injuries, but still he has a horrible attitude and the wrong mental makeup for boston. He's never really lived up to his hype.

Yeah Lugo is decent, but thats all he is. He cant really field his positon that well and he's a run of the mill player offensively.

The jury is out on Dice-K, but seriously, essentially 17 mil a year for a guy who hasn't thrown a pitch in the majors yet? I know he has a lot of talent, but since when did we started shelling 100 mil for talent.

One of those deals is gunna hurt in a few years. At least one.

wah wah, yanks pay 16 mil a year for a-rod.

ps- A-rod looks like a fucking steal right now.

Hey, whoever signs Zito will probably get a worse deal than the Red Sox got with Matsuzaka. Matsuzaka has the skills to be a bona fide ace while ex-Cy Young winner Zito's peripherals have been falling the last couple of years and while he's not nearing mediocrity, he also isn't improving significantly with age. Zito will at least match Matsuzaka's overall 17 million dollar a year pricetag. I really do wonder how Zambrano will do next year if he doesn't resign with the Cubs.

Hey, whoever signs Zito will probably get a worse deal than the Red Sox got with Matsuzaka. Matsuzaka has the skills to be a bona fide ace while ex-Cy Young winner Zito's peripherals have been falling the last couple of years and while he's not nearing mediocrity, he also isn't improving significantly with age. Zito will at least match Matsuzaka's overall 17 million dollar a year pricetag. I really do wonder how Zambrano will do next year if he doesn't resign with the Cubs.

i wasn't talking about zito. You avoided my question!

i wasn't talking about zito. You avoided my question!

Well, you mentioned how much Matsuzaka was getting overall and I think that in a market where Meche is getting five years 55 million for 11 million a year and Zito will probably at least match Matsuzaka's 17 million a year overall pricetag, that Matsuzaka, if he performs as advertised, which I have every reason to believe he will, will be in line with market value. JD Drew has undeniable talent but an attitude problem...I think that he'll like Fenway Park, knock a couple of doubles around, and hit well with a strong team around him. Hitting behind Manny and Ortiz should provide plenty of RBI opportunities, granted the Bash Brothers don't hit HRs. Drew is being overpaid some and that last year or two might hurt but for his ability to get on base but considering that he is almost identical to Hideki Matsui as a player with potential to boot, price-wise, he is right in line as well. (Drew-14 million, Matsui-13 million, Abreu-13.6 million...granted I don't know their current contract breakdowns, Matsui and Abreu could be paid slightly more this season.) Lugo as well is being paid in line for shortstops of his caliber as well...look at his comparables of Orlando Cabrera (8 million per) and Edgar Renteria (10 million). Of course he is going to be a lot more valuable in terms of money than Mr. Rafael Furcal (13 million) which is just plain silly. In my mind, the Red Sox are taking risks perfectly in line with today's market value. Deny that.

Well, you mentioned how much Matsuzaka was getting overall and I think that in a market where Meche is getting five years 55 million for 11 million a year and Zito will probably at least match Matsuzaka's 17 million a year overall pricetag, that Matsuzaka, if he performs as advertised, which I have every reason to believe he will, will be in line with market value. JD Drew has undeniable talent but an attitude problem...I think that he'll like Fenway Park, knock a couple of doubles around, and hit well with a strong team around him. Hitting behind Manny and Ortiz should provide plenty of RBI opportunities, granted the Bash Brothers don't hit HRs. Drew is being overpaid some and that last year or two might hurt but for his ability to get on base but considering that he is almost identical to Hideki Matsui as a player with potential to boot, price-wise, he is right in line as well. (Drew-14 million, Matsui-13 million, Abreu-13.6 million...granted I don't know their current contract breakdowns, Matsui and Abreu could be paid slightly more this season.) Lugo as well is being paid in line for shortstops of his caliber as well...look at his comparables of Orlando Cabrera (8 million per) and Edgar Renteria (10 million). Of course he is going to be a lot more valuable in terms of money than Mr. Rafael Furcal (13 million) which is just plain silly. In my mind, the Red Sox are taking risks perfectly in line with today's market value. Deny that.

in 2001, everyone thought darren dreifort and mike hampton were perfectly in line with the market. It doesn't mean it's not a mistake. I am much happier with what the Yankees did.

Hughes/Sanchez/Karstens/Rasner are in their AAA rotation. As of right now all 4 of those guys are considered major league ready. :) Say just one of them becomes an elite starter, then we're going to have wang for about 4 more years making close to nothing and one of those guys for 6 making nothing.

and matsuzaka is the right move to make in this market, only half of the money invested in him is going against the salary cap while all 47 mil of schmidt's salary would've went against the cap if he were to have signed with the sox and all 100 mil + of zito's salary would have gone against the cap. meanwhile there's a very good chance matsuzaka is better than all the other FA pitchers who signed while zito is incredibly overrated and schmidt could be finished any season

and matsuzaka is the right move to make in this market, only half of the money invested in him is going against the salary cap while all 47 mil of schmidt's salary would've went against the cap if he were to have signed with the sox and all 100 mil + of zito's salary would have gone against the cap. meanwhile there's a very good chance matsuzaka is better than all the other FA pitchers who signed while zito is incredibly overrated and schmidt could be finished any season

i know exactly what you're saying, but it's still 100 million dollars.

i know exactly what you're saying, but it's still 100 million dollars.

yeah and it's a big risk, but when you consider the luxury tax it's not as expensive as zito and if my options are all those other scrubs getting 10-11 mil a year and jason schmidt at 3 years 47 mil then i'll take my chances with the japanese dude

Here is my view. DMat was a great signing. They did not overpay a whole lot. I was surprised on how much Boras went down, if you can say dropping in price. I do believe the JD Drew signing was horrid. They over payed for an over hyped player. Yes I do despise him but that is for other reasons. He has never turned out to be the player who he was supposed to be. He just make a great pay day though. I really hope it is going to be mostly incentive laden contract.

It's nice having some support. But anyway, I hope the best for your young arms but prospects and potential are just that, prospects and potential. It remains to be seen how they do in the majors, it takes some sort of intestinal fortitude to have immediate success and maintain it. Other than Hughes, none of your pitching prospects rank in the top 100, though with the mass influx of prospects into the majors in the year 2006 the current prospect rankings remain to be seen. But with the failures, rather struggles, of top pitching prospects like Hayden Penn, Yusmeiro Petit, Craig Hansen, Adam Loewen, Anthony Reyes, Jon Lester, Chad Bilingsley. It's quite difficult to get a Verlander, Liriano, Papelbon, Sowers, Zumaya, etc. I just want to say that you can only count on prospects so much and these guys aren't of the can't miss variety. Anyway, right now we have Papelbon and Lester earning nothing and the likes of Buchholz in the wings. Question, Plow, is Andy Pettite worth one million less than Daisuke Matsuzaka?

Do you think Drew had no idea the Sox were interested in him when he walked away from 33 mill with the Dodgers? Can anyone say collusion?

Regarding D Mat, the Sox are going to make the 50mill up in marketing him over the next 3 years and as someone said theres no salary cap hit. Good deal, John Henry's not stupid (which leads me to believe it's Epstein who loves Drew)

Do you think Drew had no idea the Sox were interested in him when he walked away from 33 mill with the Dodgers? Can anyone say collusion?

Regarding D Mat, the Sox are going to make the 50mill up in marketing him over the next 3 years and as someone said theres no salary cap hit. Good deal, John Henry's not stupid (which leads me to believe it's Epstein who loves Drew)

I still think Drew will be at least as good as Hideki Matsui next year with both hitting about .300 with 20-25 HRs, 100 runs and RBI, and a .390 or so OBP which wouldn't be an absolutely horrible deal. The Sox have always had a love affair with both Drew and Lugo so it's no surprise that both have been signed. I have regained my respect for the Red Sox brain trust after the brain cramps of last offseason. Theo has made some bad moves but it remains to be seen how the farm system pans out since the new ownership hasn't been around long enough for their waves of draft picks to make it to the major leagues.

I still think Drew will be at least as good as Hideki Matsui next year with both hitting about .300 with 20-25 HRs, 100 runs and RBI, and a .390 or so OBP which wouldn't be an absolutely horrible deal. The Sox have always had a love affair with both Drew and Lugo so it's no surprise that both have been signed. I have regained my respect for the Red Sox brain trust after the brain cramps of last offseason. Theo has made some bad moves but it remains to be seen how the farm system pans out since the new ownership hasn't been around long enough for their waves of draft picks to make it to the major leagues.

i agree, he could put up matsui numbers... thats fine except this goes back to my first point. Matsui signed a 4 yr 52 mil deal. Drew got 5 yrs 70 mil. Meanwhile, we all knew what matsui could do in new york and there werent many vairbales. Also, matsui is overpaid.

i agree, he could put up matsui numbers... thats fine except this goes back to my first point. Matsui signed a 4 yr 52 mil deal. Drew got 5 yrs 70 mil. Meanwhile, we all knew what matsui could do in new york and there werent many vairbales. Also, matsui is overpaid.

There are only so many players in the majors that can do what he does though. Plus with Matsui you have gained marketing revenue and opened a new market for more bandwagoner Yankee fans. It's worth the extra couple of million for him.

There are only so many players in the majors that can do what he does though. Plus with Matsui you have gained marketing revenue and opened a new market for more bandwagoner Yankee fans. It's worth the extra couple of million for him.

dont talk about being a bandwagon fan ;)

that between these 3 deals...

6 yrs 103 mil essentially for dice k

5 yrs 70 mil for JD Drew

4 yrs 36 mil for Julio lugo

at least one does not look like a disaster in 3 years from now.

I'm sorry, yeah a few of Drew's injuries were freak injuries, but still he has a horrible attitude and the wrong mental makeup for boston. He's never really lived up to his hype.

Yeah Lugo is decent, but thats all he is. He cant really field his positon that well and he's a run of the mill player offensively.

The jury is out on Dice-K, but seriously, essentially 17 mil a year for a guy who hasn't thrown a pitch in the majors yet? I know he has a lot of talent, but since when did we started shelling 100 mil for talent.

One of those deals is gunna hurt in a few years. At least one.

wah wah, yanks pay 16 mil a year for a-rod.

ps- A-rod looks like a fucking steal right now.

Yeah, so do Carl Pavano and Randy Johnson... :ph34r: