SportsWrath

OBJ

BlueInCanada

Odell Beckham didn't hold out of training camp in hopes of getting a new contract. In return, the New York Giants could reward the receiver.

Giants co-owner John Mara said the team would be speaking to Beckham's agents "sooner rather than later" and hopes to "get something done" on a new contract, per NFL Network's Kimberly Jones. Mara declined to put a timetable on the talks.

Beckham enters the final season of his rookie contract, set to earn $8.459 million, well below the market value for a player of OBJ's caliber -- consider Sammy Watkins and Brandin Cooks each signed for $16 million per year on new deals.

Mara's comments Thursday stand in stark contrast to earlier in the spring when the owner said there was "no sense of urgency" to do a deal, while the organization hemmed and hawed at the prospect of potentially trading the receiver rather than hand over a massive extension.

Mara said Beckham's attendance this spring and reporting to camp this week were factors in the team's willingness to commit to the wideout long-term.

"We're happy he's wearing blue," the owner said.

As for Beckham's health after returning from a season-ending ankle surgery, Mara reiterated that the goal is simply for Beckham to be ready for the Week 1 opener. Whether OBJ is playing under a fat new contract extension at that point remains to be seen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000942234/article/giants-owner-mara-looking-to-extend-odell-beckham

Im perfectly fine with making him play out his contract then tagging him twice. Financially its really the only thing that makes sense. With our cap space, how could they possibly give him a block buster deal right now? Or anytime soon for that matter?

Im perfectly fine with making him play out his contract then tagging him twice. Financially its really the only thing that makes sense. With our cap space, how could they possibly give him a block buster deal right now? Or anytime soon for that matter?

The dude is worth a hefty contract... why dance around and create unnecessary drama with contract issues? I can still recall the drama with Michael Strahan (when Tiki opened his trap too)...

This post makes no sense.

Give him 5 years 125, with 80 guaranteed.

He's arguably the best player that will ever play for the giants

That's not possible... at least not at the moment. We'd have to restructure at least 3 other contracts to make that happen.

That's not possible... at least not at the moment. We'd have to restructure at least 3 other contracts to make that happen.

obviously, there's a lot to be worked out, but they should restructure other players to give him a deal similar to the one I've suggested.

He's the best player since Lawrence Taylor to wear the uniform...pay him

Exactly Dragon. This is a business. You have to do whats right for the company first. They are already in a bad cap situation. Just pay him is easy enough to say, but the problem is the money just isnt there.

The guy is making 8 million this year, along with probably millions in the double digits in advertising. Its not like this guy is hurting for money.

Exactly Dragon. This is a business. You have to do whats right for the company first. They are already in a bad cap situation. Just pay him is easy enough to say, but the problem is the money just isnt there.

The guy is making 8 million this year, along with probably millions in the double digits in advertising. Its not like this guy is hurting for money.

Would Franchise tag money be separate from salary cap money, if OBJ had to run the route?

According to https://overthecap.com/calculator/new-york-giants/ we only have about 2m left in cap money. btw that site seems pretty cool .

Just one of the many reasons why salary caps in sports are fucking stupid.

Baseball is the only one that getsbit partially right...no cap per re, but luxury tax over 198....but there should be a bottom number as well. You can't penalize a team for going over 198 and not penalize a team that's under 90.

Every sports franchise can and should have a payroll of at least 150 million a year..abd they'll still be profitable.

I dont know why Lug, but I cant quote here. Anyhow yeah if we tagged him It would go against the cap of course, and he would be among the highest paid WRs in the league. Which he should be. I just dont think he should be the highest paid WR in the league to the point where we wont be able to make any moves next year.

Heck with the kind of money he wants we would have to let some players go. Rebuilding the offensive line, while they made a couple good moves, is far from complete. They are going to have to spend a lot more money there next year as well.

It just doesnt make sense in todays unfriendly cap hell league to pay one player who isnt a quarterback, that high a percentage of the teams overall money. I mean maybe if Eli was willing to give up a few million to help cover it, but I wont hold my breath waiting for that.

Besides at this point we dont even know if the guy can stay on the field. Seems like every team we play wants to kill the guy.

I dont know why Lug, but I cant quote here. Anyhow yeah if we tagged him It would go against the cap of course, and he would be among the highest paid WRs in the league. Which he should be. I just dont think he should be the highest paid WR in the league to the point where we wont be able to make any moves next year.

Heck with the kind of money he wants we would have to let some players go. Rebuilding the offensive line, while they made a couple good moves, is far from complete. They are going to have to spend a lot more money there next year as well.

It just doesnt make sense in todays unfriendly cap hell league to pay one player who isnt a quarterback, that high a percentage of the teams overall money. I mean maybe if Eli was willing to give up a few million to help cover it, but I wont hold my breath waiting for that.

Besides at this point we dont even know if the guy can stay on the field. Seems like every team we play wants to kill the guy.

That's the problem the NFL is going to face in the coming years, more players out of college are just to skilled to play under 20+ million a year.

Before your QB was the highest paid guy and he should be, but now you have talent across the board with guys who can win games at skill positions who deserve to paid on the same level.

I wouldnt be surprised if the NFL suddenly raises the cap by 100+ million whenever the next contract negotiations hit with the NFLPA, it's just the way its going teams are going to have to pay their elite players.

I expect that a deal will get done. He's at 8.4, there is ~2 in available space, so that leaves them about $10 million in space to work with.

So we convert his 2018 comp to a bonus, play for minimum salary. Maybe there's a renegotiation or two to similarly push comp into later years to make room to pay signing bonus up front. Reduce salary in lieu of guarantees.... I think it may be feasible to pay him $15 mil per yr, guaranteed... It's a gamble on his health, but the numbers may work.

obviously, there's a lot to be worked out, but they should restructure other players to give him a deal similar to the one I've suggested.

He's the best player since Lawrence Taylor to wear the uniform...pay him

I'm not saying dont pay him. I'm one of the ones banging the table loudest for him to get paid, but for some stupid reason extending a contract in the NFL actually screws the current contract up due to the guaranteed money being immediately applied. The problem we're gonna run into (at least from my perspective) is the 3 contracts that would need to be restructured are Manning, Vernon and Jenkins and the only one I could see making that move is Eli.

Give him 5 years 125, with 80 guaranteed.

He's arguably the best player that will ever play for the giants

The problem is the cap... I don't think the Giants are being dicks... Eli is taking a huge chunks then you have stars like Collins, Engram, OBJ, and Barkley... it's a massive balancing act and I don't know how the Giants will afford all of these guys... granted other teams somehow find a way but still.

Idk... I just think if that's the case its be done way more than it is.

Its not the player that objects. Because who wouldn't take the guaranteed bonus over the non guaranteed salary?

First you need a high salary player, then you need to be willing to commit to that player because their cap hit would be shifted into future years. So its the team that more often would take issue with it.