SportsWrath

corey webster

Herc

webster's cap number is 5.345 mil (right?)

sean smith signs for 3 years 18 mil and his cap numbers are 2.965, 5.7, 7.5.

none of these good cbs (and there are/were a lot of them available) are signing for 6 mil yet we can't let webster go to upgrade? i would've loved sean smith here. is there a factor i'm missing here?

I like Webster

There's loyalty behind it, but I think he plays well this year.

I like Webster a lot... call me a homer but I think 2012 was an aberration... I fully expect Webster to play very well for us. And I've warmed up to Ross being a Giant again as well.

talib's contract is 1 year 5 MILLION. he's way better than webster. what the fuck

Yeah, but he took the 1 year deal to stay put and gamble on having a good year. This year's free agent CB market is soft, isn't it? He turned down NE's long term deal and supposedly offers from 3 other teams. He's obviously hoping to hit the market next year in a better position, no way the Giants would have gotten him with $5 mil if he left the Pats this year.

the whole market is soft because the nfl grew at a much lower rate than it had in years past and the cap wasn't as high as people expected it to be by now when they were signing contracts a few years ago. all those contracts are now way over market value which is why we're seeing so many cuts. lots of names are signing for way lower contracts than they would've had they been free agents at their current age a few years ago.

as a result there were many attractive cb options this season which is what kind of inspired me to make this thread. well that and seeing webster and diehl take up 12+ mil of our cap space ( http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/cap-hit/) when there were a ton of cbs and linemen available.

maybe you're right and talib would rather roll the dice in the system he learned last year but there were plenty of attractive cheap options out there at many positions. next week and the week after there are gonna be tackles who are better than diehl signing one year deals that are lower than his cap hit for us

the whole market is soft because the nfl grew at a much lower rate than it had in years past and the cap wasn't as high as people expected it to be by now when they were signing contracts a few years ago. all those contracts are now way over market value which is why we're seeing so many cuts. lots of names are signing for way lower contracts than they would've had they been free agents at their current age a few years ago.

as a result there were many attractive cb options this season which is what kind of inspired me to make this thread. well that and seeing webster and diehl take up 12+ mil of our cap space ( http://www.spotrac.c...giants/cap-hit/) when there were a ton of cbs and linemen available.

maybe you're right and talib would rather roll the dice in the system he learned last year but there were plenty of attractive cheap options out there at many positions. next week and the week after there are gonna be tackles who are better than diehl signing one year deals that are lower than his cap hit for us

I noticed this too. This is such a weird free agency, at least around the rest of the league....in that no longer are you seeing guys spending any length of time on the team that drafted them. It's rookie contract and bounce anymore. Shit, even the Patriots are doing it....I think Danny Woodhead is better than Leon Washington....3 years as a Patriot and Woodhead is out, though (they didn't draft him, though). A guy like Dan Connor is a Panther for what, 3 years, a Cowboy for 1, and now a Giant? Teams just aren't sticking with players in this modern NFL and I don't know how to explain it. The lockout had something to do with it, you're right there.

I noticed this too. This is such a weird free agency, at least around the rest of the league....in that no longer are you seeing guys spending any length of time on the team that drafted them. It's rookie contract and bounce anymore. Shit, even the Patriots are doing it....I think Danny Woodhead is better than Leon Washington....3 years as a Patriot and Woodhead is out, though (they didn't draft him, though). A guy like Dan Connor is a Panther for what, 3 years, a Cowboy for 1, and now a Giant? Teams just aren't sticking with players in this modern NFL and I don't know how to explain it. The lockout had something to do with it, you're right there.

It's just the way the NFL is now a days, really in the last 20 seasons the only positions you might see a player locked up for multiple years is QB, WR and maybe OL.

Outside of that I think the general thought of todays NFL is most players are only going to serve your team well for maybe four, five seasons after that draft or replace him with a younger, cheaper player.

Think of RBs, you draft one, he plays and starts for your team and after five or six years after he's broken and run down, you ship him off and get in some other rookie or just journyman free agent.

It's not like the early years where a player who was drafted with the team was giving a couple years to develope then locked up and giving the reigns to a starting job until he retired.

swagger doesn't mean much to me but 7th in yards per pass in 2011, 11th in success rate, netting a 4th rounder from one of the smartest teams in football during a year when his stock was lowest due to arrest/suspension does.

i don't have the final stats but in the middle of last season i remember reading that webster was ranked like 92nd out of 98 eligible cbs by all advanced statistics. we're talking about one of the worst corners in football

but he's a patriot and nicks bitched him in week 2 and webster's a giant so lol

http://www.nepatriotslife.com/2013/02/aqib-talib-overrated.html

Aqib Talib has gained recognition for his play in New England around the league, but the writers and statisticians at “Pro Football Focus” have Talib rated as someone “who is not a shutdown corner.”

When combining his time at Tampa Bay and the Patriots he allowed a touchdown or first down 8.75% of the time which is second worst in the NFL for this past season.

you mean the season where he was traded, suspended, and arrested and had to learn a new defense? yeah it wasn't his best season but he was a near pro-bowl cb before last season.

he's no shut down corner (that designation barely exists anymore in 2013) but all i said was that he was an upgrade over webster

http://www.nypost.co...dCsssX869cfiiAK

"The Patriots need not look only at tape of other teams being beaten by Baltimore bombs. They got a first-hand view of it when they played the Ravens on Sept. 23 — a 31-30 Baltimore win in which the Ravens connected on eight pass plays of 20 yards or more.

Enter cornerback Aqib Talib a few weeks after that game. Talib, acquired in a trade with the Buccaneers, has stabilized the New England secondary, allowing cornerback Devin McCourty to move to safety, which is better suited for his skills.

Since the acquisition of Talib, the Patriots defense has improved in almost every major defensive category.

Before Talib’s arrival, the Patriots had allowed an average of 285 passing yards per game, 382 total yards and an average of 22.3 points.

In the final seven regular-season games (Talib played in six of them), the Patriots went 6-1, allowing an average of 271 passing yards, 373 total yards and 20.7 points.

In the nine games New England played without Talib, it allowed 49 passes of 20 or more yards and 15 of 30 or more yards. In the seven games since, the Patriots have yielded only 25 passes of 20 or more yards and seven of 30 or more yards."

just look at the playoff game. flacco completed like one pass before talib got hurt and he starts lighting them up next drive.