SportsWrath

NFL Top 100 Players

JMFP

I'm okay with LT at #3.....in my opinion, the greatest defensive player ever.

But Jerry Rice at #1???.....don't agree.

http://top100.nfl.com/

Certainly the best WR of all time (Peter King likes Don Hutson, but that's way before my time), and one of the greatest offensive players ever.

Top 10?......sure.

Top 5?.....okay, maybe.

But ahead of Joe Montana, Jim Brown, LT, Walter Payton, Dick Butkus, and Johnny Unitas?....I can't give that nod to any wide receiver.

To me it's simple.....imagine any of those teams without that player (eg., the 49ers without Montana, the Giants, without LT, the Browns without Jim Brown, the Bears without Butkus or Payton).

Now imagine the 49ers without Rice......I can still picture them winning Super Bowls as long as Montana is under center.

Jerry Rice - awesome player......but also benefitted from two Hall of Fame QBs, in a system devised by a Hall of Fame Coach. He flourished on a dynasty.

Dick Butkus.....Defensive MVP on some truly shitty teams.

Jim Brown.....everyone knew he was getting the ball, and it didn't matter.

In my opinion, here is the top 5:

#1 Joe Montana

#2 Jim Brown

#3 LT

#4 Johnny Unitas

#5 Dick Butkus (could argue for Jerry Rice or Walter Payton as well)

Sam Huff is a little farther down than he belongs.

The fact that Joe Morris didn't make the list fills me with rage....not only the greatest running back, but right under Abraham Lincoln as one of the most important Americans.

2 running backs in the top 15 and Bary Sanders at 17? Right, Peyton and Sanders are probly the 2 best offensive players I've got to see in their prime.

Brady above Elway?

Bruce Smith at 31?

O.J. Simpson at fucking 40? The first 2000 yard back nearly halfway down the list? Really?

And even though I think he's a hall of famer, I'm not sure Warner belongs on the list, and above Michael Irvin to boot.

Actually the top 20 has less questions than the bottom 20.

Derrick Brooks better than Strahan, wrong!

Troy Aikman and steve young should both be further up.

Randy Moss maybe should be in the 90's if he even deserves to be on the list.

favre better than Brady?. I don't think he's better than marino or Elway.

If you think about Barry Sanders in general, you'd tend to think he's a top ten player of all time, but looking at the top 20, it's hard to say he deserves it over any of the ones above him.

If you think about Barry Sanders in general, you'd tend to think he's a top ten player of all time, but looking at the top 20, it's hard to say he deserves it over any of the ones above him.

I'll admit I really couldn't say who I would replace to move Sanders up, but it just seems wrong for him to be so far down.

I'll admit I really couldn't say who I would replace to move Sanders up, but it just seems wrong for him to be so far down.

It does, you're right. If he had kept playing chances are he'd be further up. But right now, that top 20 apart from Favre is pretty much dead on.

I agree with Carl Banks. Until Rice caught that bomb against the Giants late in that game that the Giants Safety knocked out the trailing corner back who would have caught him in that 88 or 89 game he was always a pussy against the G-men. Even after that he never really had any Hall of Fame I'm the Man games against them that I remember. No way he should be number one. I would take system QB Montana over him being number one anyday.

I agree with Carl Banks. Until Rice caught that bomb against the Giants late in that game that the Giants Safety knocked out the trailing corner back who would have caught him in that 88 or 89 game he was always a pussy against the G-men. Even after that he never really had any Hall of Fame I'm the Man games against them that I remember. No way he should be number one. I would take system QB Montana over him being number one anyday.

Agreed. Again, no disrespect to Rice, but he's a top 10 player, not the best.

The #1 player should be someone who completed dominated the entire sport, and not just their position. From what I've read, Don Hutson dominated the receiver position just as much as Rice did.....Hutson's TD record stood for 40-something years....I couldn't even guess what Hutson's numbers would be in the modern era.

Here's a good commentary on Hutson v Rice.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/kerry_byrne/08/06/halloffame/index.html?eref=sihp

Cold, Hard Football Facts contributor and the BBC's NFL broadcaster, Mike Carlson, conducted a lengthy study comparing Rice to Hutson several years ago. The numbers changed our view of football history and clearly place Hutson well above Rice as the most dominant receiver the game has ever seen.

Here's how they stack up, relative to their times, in every major receiving category.

Receptions: Rice caught more passes than any other player in history (1,549), easily blowing away Hutson's career total (488). But Rice played in a pass-happy era when 100 catches in a year were common. And he led the league in receptions just twice (1990 and 1996). Hutson led the NFL in receptions an unbelievable eight times in 11 seasons.

When Hutson joined the NFL, the single-season record was 22 catches. He set a new record with an incredible 74 receptions in 1942. And while the former Alabama star's 488 career receptions seem humble by our stands, it more than doubled the previous record of 190 and reinvented our concept of the receiver as a weapon in pro football.

Yards: Rice, with his record 22,895 career receiving yards, clearly blows away Hutson (7,991) in this category, too.

But in the context of their time, it's quite a different story. Rice led the league in receiving yards six times in 20 seasons. Hutson led the league seven times in his 11 seasons, including a record four years in a row (1941-44).

And consider this: When Huston joined the NFL, no player had produced more than 350 receiving yards in a season. He topped that mark in all 11 seasons of his career -- like we said, he was Ruthian in his production relative to the standards of the era.

Huston's 1,211 yards of 1942 was the first 1,000-yard receiving season and stands as the most by any player in the first 31 years of NFL history. Meanwhile, Hutson's ability to produce big games stands unchallenged, even today.

Rice, for example, topped 200 yards four times in his 303-game career. Hutson? He topped 200 yards four in just 116 games. Given 303 games, Huston might have produced an incredible 10 200-yard days. Only the AFL's Lance Alworth produced more 200-yard games (five) in his career than Rice and Hutson.

Touchdowns: Once again, Rice's career numbers dwarf Hutson's. The 2010 Hall of Famer boasts a record 197 touchdown catches. The 1963 Hall of Famer hauled in 99 touchdown passes. But Hutson's record stood for nearly half a century, before finally broken by Steve Largent (100 career TDs) in 1989.

Hutson scored a record 17 touchdowns in 1942. Very good, even by today's standards. But far more impressive when you consider that the Packers played just 11 games that year and that Hutson hauled in more touchdowns than eight entire clubs in the 10-team NFL.

His mark of 17 TD receptions in a season stood for 42 years, until Mark Duper grabbed 18 TD passes from Dan Marino in 1984. Again, truly Ruthian numbers.

The knock on Hutson, much like it is on Sammy Baugh and Sid Luckman, is that he dominated the talent-starved war seasons of 1942-44 (players began returning by the 1945 season). But keep in mind that Huston dominated the pre-war seasons of 1935 to 1941, too, leading the league in TD catches in five of those six years.

Also keep in mind that, 65 years after he retired, Hutson remains No. 8 on the all-time TD reception list (99). Six of the seven players ahead of him on the all-time TD receptions list played here in the pass-happy 21st century.

We can only imagine what kind of dizzying numbers Hutson might have produced in the 21st-century, when teams pass the ball more than 500 times a year over the course of a 16-game season.

Championships: Finally, both players enjoyed incredible team success. Rice won three titles in four opportunities during his 20-year career. He played on three championship teams with San Francisco before ending up on the losing end of Super Bowl XXXVII, when he was with Oakland.

Hutson also went 3-1 in NFL title games, winning championships for TitleTown in 1936, 1939 and 1944. The Packers lost to the Giants in the 1938 championship game.

Rice was the most productive receiver in history and the most dominant receiver of our time. But certainly not the most dominant receiver of all time. That title seems like it will always belong to Don Hutson

Joe Montana - the best offensive player I've ever seen.

Jim Brown - before my time, but all the experts (and my old man) tell me he was The Man in his day. And just watching the tape reveals he superior he was to the competition....it was like a man among boys.

LT - best defensive player I've ever seen (again, my old man was a huuuuge Dick Butkus fan).

Rice - the best wide receiver I've ever seen......but he never was voted NFL MVP, so I can't see anyone calling him the greatest player ever.

If I were drafting an all-time NFL team, my first pick would be Joe Montana, followed by LT, followed by Jim Brown, followed by Anthony Munoz, and then maybe Rice.

Where was CC Brown on this list? Gotta be top 20 right?

Anyway, I have no problem with the list. Rice was a baller and the argument could made both ways, that if not for him Montana or Young may have been not so great. Hell, if not for the offensive line all 3 of them would suck.

east coast bias- if rice played in the nfc east, there'd be no question of his prowess. yes, T he didn't have too many great games against the giants but the giants were pretty good too, if you recall. no one has come around since that's even close.

Agreed. Again, no disrespect to Rice, but he's a top 10 player, not the best.

The #1 player should be someone who completed dominated the entire sport, and not just their position. From what I've read, Don Hutson dominated the receiver position just as much as Rice did.....Hutson's TD record stood for 40-something years....I couldn't even guess what Hutson's numbers would be in the modern era.

Here's a good commentary on Hutson v Rice.

Joe Montana - the best offensive player I've ever seen.

Jim Brown - before my time, but all the experts (and my old man) tell me he was The Man in his day. And just watching the tape reveals he superior he was to the competition....it was like a man among boys.

LT - best defensive player I've ever seen (again, my old man was a huuuuge Dick Butkus fan).

Rice - the best wide receiver I've ever seen......but he never was voted NFL MVP, so I can't see anyone calling him the greatest player ever.

If I were drafting an all-time NFL team, my first pick would be Joe Montana, followed by LT, followed by Jim Brown, followed by Anthony Munoz, and then maybe Rice.

This by no means is how I think it should be listed all time, but if I were drafting a team.

1: Peyton (edges Marino by a hair)

2: Rice (can't resist that matchup)

3: Dion Sanders (true shut down corner for a long time, not just a few years)

4: LT (With the shut down corner taken care of, get after the QB)

5: Barry Sanders

I agree with you on Munoz, and while I wanted to list him in the top 5, I just couldn't leave those guys on the board.

Which I just got an idea, why don't we do our own all time draft? Get any on SW who want to do it and have a draft?

east coast bias- if rice played in the nfc east, there'd be no question of his prowess. yes, T he didn't have too many great games against the giants but the giants were pretty good too, if you recall. no one has come around since that's even close.

I hear you man. But top 3 or 5. Definitely not number one. He had patsies like the Saints, Seahawks and the up and down Rams to play against 6 times a year.