SportsWrath

Vernon Davis

xxi-xxv

Are you Giants fans thinking the same thing I am in terms of a certain team in our division you WOULD HATE TO SEE HIM WIND UP WITH.

Guy is a beast, athletic specimen, runs like a WR and after watching his NFL Network interview is clearly a well rounded smart dude.

He's certainly fast. But that drill around the cones was a bit disturbing. His lateral movement left a lot to be desired. He finished last in that event. I watched a video on him and he was impressive. But I'm not sure this will translate into success in the NFL. Plus he played for Maryland and lets be honest ACC football isn't exactly dominant. He will have to prove himself. Comparing him to Gonzalez,Shockey, and Gates is a bit premature. Anybody remember a guy named Kellen Winslow.

He's certainly fast. But that drill around the cones was a bit disturbing. His lateral movement left a lot to be desired. He finished last in that event. I watched a video on him and he was impressive. But I'm not sure this will translate into success in the NFL. Plus he played for Maryland and lets be honest ACC football isn't exactly dominant. He will have to prove himself. Comparing him to Gonzalez,Shockey, and Gates is a bit premature. Anybody remember a guy named Kellen Winslow.

It's too bad Winslow's career has been derailed by injuries ... he has awesome talent. He's one of my fantasy sleepers for 2006, assuming he will be recovered.

It's too bad Winslow's career has been derailed by injuries ... he has awesome talent. He's one of my fantasy sleepers for 2006, assuming he will be recovered.

I agree its to bad what has become of Winslows career. But he's still young and he could bounce back.

I believe people put to much stock in the 40 time and the combines. People are ready to annoint Davis and he hasn't even played a down yet. I predict he won't be no Shockey. Speed is important but intangibles are important as well. I watched the combine and I thought some of the other TE's caught the ball better than Davis. Davis is a physical specimen. But so was David Boston. We will have to wait and see. He will be a top 10 possibly a top 5 pick. I'm not so sure he will prove to have been worth it.

Davis was a beast at Maryland ... and he tore up defenses like West Virginia and Virginia Tech, so he wasn't beating up on nobodies. He was a top 10 player prior to the combine, and his workout certainly assures he'll go very high ... but I agree that too much stock is placed in 40 times instead of on-field performance. Davis happens to have both, but there is something that separates the Antonio Pierce's from the Mike Mamula's of the world...

Davis was a beast at Maryland ... and he tore up defenses like West Virginia and Virginia Tech, so he wasn't beating up on nobodies. He was a top 10 player prior to the combine, and his workout certainly assures he'll go very high ... but I agree that too much stock is placed in 40 times instead of on-field performance. Davis happens to have both, but there is something that separates the Antonio Pierce's from the Mike Mamula's of the world...

He has all the tools. I'm just not getting that feeling that that will neccessarily translate to success at the next level.

It is worth noting that despite his blazing speed, Davis does have great quickness

TE short shuttle times

Vernon Davis Maryland 4.17

Tony Scheffler W. Michigan 4.01

Garrett Mills Tulsa 4.05

Owen Daniels Wisconsin 4.10

Davis was the slowest of these in the short shuttle!

TE 40 times:

Verrnon Davis Maryland 4.38

Tony Scheffler W. Michigan 4.54

Garrett Mills Tulsa 4.64

Owen Daniels Wisconsin 4.65

Quickness:

a good measure of quickness can be found by subtracting the short shuttle time from the 40 time

Verrnon Davis Maryland 0.21

Tony Scheffler W. Michigan 0.53

Garrett Mills Tulsa 0.59

Owen Daniels Wisconsin 0.55

(0.50 or better is very good)

Sheffer, Mills and Daniels have very good quickness

Vernon Davis has great linear speed, but ordinary quickness

Edited by BigPete

Guest Lockhart

Vernon Davis will be the new bench mark for TEs. There has never been a TE entering the NFL with his talent before. If the Giants could trade Shockey to move up and get him, they should do it today. Davis will be the top TE in the NFL for a decade.

I only saw one of Davis's runs through the gauntlet and unfortunately he was on the receiving end of some bad passes. I did notice that he wasn't running top flight in the drill, something the scouts don't like to see. He also caught some of the passes with his body which is a big no-no but they were also thrown slightly behind him. Despite this his 40 time can't be thrown out. Just as impressive was his vertical leap.

Before you start dissing ACC football and Maryland's program realize that both have taken pretty big steps forward in the last decade. Maryland is completely reborn under Ralph Friedgen. The guy runs a complex offense although he had to scale it back last season due to inexperience at QB. Discounting players based on where they attended school is a pet peeve of mine. If the talent was only in the major programs there would be a lot less draft worthy candidates. FWIW the defending Defensive Rookie of the Year is a Maryland grad. Would you have said Gates isn't draft worth off of his college credentilas?

Vernon Davis will be the new bench mark for TEs. There has never been a TE entering the NFL with his talent before. If the Giants could trade Shockey to move up and get him, they should do it today. Davis will be the top TE in the NFL for a decade.

Kind of agree (for once), but like him or not, Shockey is a top TE right now.

Guest Lockhart
Kind of agree (for once), but like him or not, Shockey is a top TE right now.

Finally you have chosen the path of football enlightenment through the FAB 4 - you shall not regret it as you wow your family and friends with your keen football senses and insight.

I only saw one of Davis's runs through the gauntlet and unfortunately he was on the receiving end of some bad passes. I did notice that he wasn't running top flight in the drill, something the scouts don't like to see. He also caught some of the passes with his body which is a big no-no but they were also thrown slightly behind him. Despite this his 40 time can't be thrown out. Just as impressive was his vertical leap.

Before you start dissing ACC football and Maryland's program realize that both have taken pretty big steps forward in the last decade. Maryland is completely reborn under Ralph Friedgen. The guy runs a complex offense although he had to scale it back last season due to inexperience at QB. Discounting players based on where they attended school is a pet peeve of mine. If the talent was only in the major programs there would be a lot less draft worthy candidates. FWIW the defending Defensive Rookie of the Year is a Maryland grad. Would you have said Gates isn't draft worth off of his college credentilas?

IMO ACC football is as good as it gets. With teams like Miami, Florida State and Va Tech now in the mix with good solid programs like NC State, the ACC is a foridable conference. It may not be the powerhouse of the SEC(what is?) or Big 10, but it is very very close.

Davis is the real deal and not only did he play good college competition he has the goods to be a real good NFL player. One thing I will say he is is 6 3, certainly not short, but not in the Shockey, Gonzo, Gates mold of the 6 5 TE.

Shockey is the reason TE are starting to get drafted in the top ten. Shockey has redifined the position. Yeah lets trade our top three TE and some draft picks to move up and draft an unproven talent when we have glaring defensive needs. You are a brillant football mind. :doh:

He has straight line speed and did break a lot of tackles in college. But route running is far more important than flat out speed at the TE position. I wasn't impressed with his hands either. The balls weren't exactly accurate for any of the TE's in that drill but the other TE's didn't seem to have a problem. He is a talent but he will face better tacklers, better coverage, and faster defenders in the NFL. Thats why you can't anoint anyone the best TE in football for the next ten years until he actually proves something at that level. Maryland football is not bigtime football. Is it getting better? Yes. But ACC football is probably the 4th best conference in College football. Lets face the facts Maryland was 5-6 in what was a pretty weak conference last year. They won't be contending for anything anytime soon. Gates was a surprise. No one would have predicted that. But Davis is being annointed based soley on a 4.38 40 time. No one was singing his praises until that 40 time was recorded. Lets let him play before we start considering him the best TE to ever play football. A player from a big time football school isn't a lock to succeed in the NFL let alone a guy from Maryland. I didn't say that a good player can't come from a lesser football program. But the chances are reduced. There are no locks in the draft. Every player is a question mark until they prove themselves on the highest level.

Davis has bumped himself into the top 10 of the draft. I just hope that the Eagles don't make a trade to get him. He is going to be a pro bowler very soon.

my original thoughts in the post exactly and the team I was referring to.

The Eagles are very high on LJ Smith and their need is at OL or WR. I don't think they will be drafting a TE. Stranger things have happened though.

I think Vernon Davis will go to a team that has needs other than TE. He's the type of player that a GM or coach will fall in love with and make a big draft day trade to get regardless of need. Obviously someone like the chagers wouldnt do it but the Rams or eagles... anyone who is not set at the TE position is a possibility.

I think Vernon Davis will go to a team that has needs other than TE. He's the type of player that a GM or coach will fall in love with and make a big draft day trade to get regardless of need. Obviously someone like the chagers wouldnt do it but the Rams or eagles... anyone who is not set at the TE position is a possibility.

It could happen. Eagles haven't had much success trading up lately(McDougle&Andrews) and they aren't loaded with draft picks like they were the last few years.

Shockey is the reason TE are starting to get drafted in the top ten. Shockey has redifined the position. Yeah lets trade our top three TE and some draft picks to move up and draft an unproven talent when we have glaring defensive needs. You are a brillant football mind. :doh:

He has straight line speed and did break a lot of tackles in college. But route running is far more important than flat out speed at the TE position. I wasn't impressed with his hands either. The balls weren't exactly accurate for any of the TE's in that drill but the other TE's didn't seem to have a problem. He is a talent but he will face better tacklers, better coverage, and faster defenders in the NFL. Thats why you can't anoint anyone the best TE in football for the next ten years until he actually proves something at that level. Maryland football is not bigtime football. Is it getting better? Yes. But ACC football is probably the 4th best conference in College football. Lets face the facts Maryland was 5-6 in what was a pretty weak conference last year. They won't be contending for anything anytime soon. Gates was a surprise. No one would have predicted that. But Davis is being annointed based soley on a 4.38 40 time. No one was singing his praises until that 40 time was recorded. Lets let him play before we start considering him the best TE to ever play football. A player from a big time football school isn't a lock to succeed in the NFL let alone a guy from Maryland. I didn't say that a good player can't come from a lesser football program. But the chances are reduced. There are no locks in the draft. Every player is a question mark until they prove themselves on the highest level.

I wholeheartedly agree that 40 times do not guarantee performance. But I'll also say that a tight end that can run a 4.4 is a major surprise. Davis rocketing up draftboards based on his combine is a yearly occurrence. Every year there are players who explode at the combine. Some follow it up on the field, some don't. Davis still has to prove himself regardless. But to slight him for where he attended college is as much a mistake as inflating him based on his running speed. As I mentioned before, Maryland was breaking in a new QB last year. A tight end can only have so much influence on his team's success. You're not really suggesting that people back off on Davis because his club went 5-6 last year are you? Does that mean Mario Williams shouldn't go top 10 because the WolfPack was a game over .500 and also played in the same conference? FWIW, Davis was already considered a first round selection. He just might go 10-15 picks sooner now.