SportsWrath

antonio cromartie

parlintm

The following is taken from Nfldraftcountdown.com:

• Word has it that Florida St. junior CB Antonio Cromartie is fully recovered from his knee injury and recently ran 4.31 and 4.29 forties on a grass surface.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...ocromartie.html

I think it's well known that if Jackson, Holmes or maybe even Moss are available, I'd like the Giants to draft a WR in the first round. I am a firm believer in drafting a LB in the second round because we should be able to get great value with that pick.

So if one of the top WR's are not available, which is beginning to seem more likely, I was thinking about what I would like the Giants to do in the first round. I think drafting Cromartie is a definite possibility and perhaps the only CB I'd take at #25. What is everyone's thoughts on the guy?

• Word has it that Florida St. junior CB Antonio Cromartie is fully recovered from his knee injury and recently ran 4.31 and 4.29 forties on a grass surface.

I think it's well known that if Jackson, Holmes or maybe even Moss are available, I'd like the Giants to draft a WR in the first round. I am a firm believer in drafting a LB in the second round because we should be able to get great value with that pick.

So if one of the top WR's are not available, which is beginning to seem more likely, I was thinking about what I would like the Giants to do in the first round. I think drafting Cromartie is a definite possibility and perhaps the only CB I'd take at #25. What is everyone's thoughts on the guy?

he looks pretty good, but im more intersted in drafting a linebacker in the first round

i just realy think we should give webster another year or maybe look at FA for a cb if needed

Exactly my thoughts on where we should go on this draft. My opinion of Cromartie is only going up reading the reports that have come from the combine. No way you can pass up on a guy like this at #25. 4.31 or 4.29 off a knee injury like he had is flat out unbelievable.

If he doesn't fall to us, we should go WR.

I'm terrified that the Giants are going to feel that they desperately need a veteran CB and will overspend on mediocre talent like they did w/ Petigout. I would much rather see them draft a talented rookie (very deep at CB this year) and let the kid take his lumps alongside Webster. As the season progresses, they would have gain experience and will only get better.

We could use the money that we would spend on a FA CB to upgrade big time at a postion that we were going to get a FA. This could mean getting a big time Safety (at either spot and maybe move Gibril) or DT (we could have a beast of a line). If we got a big DT then our DLine could hide our young secondary. Just a thought if WA or another CB gets too pricey. I think Cromatie definitely has the potential to step in and start at a very difficult position. He was projected to be a TOP 5 pick if he were to stay in school another year but his grandmother just got cancer or something so he needs the money now which is why he's making the jump. Webster and Cromartie would be a very talented Corner tandem that happened to drop b/c or injuries the year before going to the NFL.

I'm terrified that the Giants are going to feel that they desperately need a veteran CB and will overspend on mediocre talent like they did w/ Petigout. I would much rather see them draft a talented rookie (very deep at CB this year) and let the kid take his lumps alongside Webster. As the season progresses, they would have gain experience and will only get better.

We could use the money that we would spend on a FA CB to upgrade big time at a postion that we were going to get a FA. This could mean getting a big time Safety (at either spot and maybe move Gibril) or DT (we could have a beast of a line). If we got a big DT then our DLine could hide our young secondary. Just a thought if WA or another CB gets too pricey. I think Cromatie definitely has the potential to step in and start at a very difficult position. He was projected to be a TOP 5 pick if he were to stay in school another year but his grandmother just got cancer or something so he needs the money now which is why he's making the jump. Webster and Cromartie would be a very talented Corner tandem that happened to drop b/c or injuries the year before going to the NFL.

So you're saying you would be happy with Webster, DeLoatch, Cromartie, Walker (if resigned), and an unsure status of Will Peterson...

So you're saying you would be happy with Webster, DeLoatch, Cromartie, Walker (if resigned), and an unsure status of Will Peterson...

Ummmm.... ummmm.... so what are my other options?

Webster, Allen, Deloach, unsure will p, walker and midround pick?

Honestly, that's not much better. The thing is, I'm trying to think 2-3 years from now and I don't want to be stuck w/ an overpaid will allen just because we didnt have any other options. Remember, he was the guy that Giant fans wanted to castrate early last season and then got toasted big time by Moss... lets not forget this completly.

I think I would feel OK, but not great if we got Cromartie to start opposite Webster and depending on Will P's health, also draft a CB in the mid rounds.

I would only be OK with that scenario if we used Will Allen's money to get a good player. Making a move for Rocky Bernard has popped into my head and would be VERY appealing. But does not signing W.A or a comparable corner enable us to go after someone like Rocky? That's the question.

I don't know why, but from what I've seen w/ Webster I'm sold. I want to see him starting from day 1 and even if he screws up early I want to see him play. I think hes going to be better than the Wills and a solid corner for us for years. Finding the other starter is the key.

This is from the safety thread

IMO, this is the best route to go. Draft a FS in the 3rd or 4th round and let Butler and the Rook compete for the starting job. Butler will win it, but if he struggles, there will be a young player to take his spot. They will push each other every practice trying to win/hold onto the FS spot. Come playoff time, one of them should have emerged as a solid FS for us.

This way we can use our cap space to address other issues: DT, WR, CB etc...

So first let me and the rest of us know where you stand...

So first let me and the rest of us know where you stand...

Right now all we can do is project and guess what the future moves will be... a lot of it is IF this happens then we can do this, but IF this happens then we do this. That's why a lot of it is conflicting.

So Ill try to break it down. Im assuming the Giants have a fair amount of cap space (somewhere in the neighborhood of being able to sign W.A and then having room to fill in a lot of holes with veteran depth).

1. IF the Giants sign W. Allen or a comparable FA (most likely scenario, I think):

I would like to see the Giants use their second round pick on a LB.

The first round pick would then be used to get the BPA -- Safety (IF the Giants dont think that Butler is a longterm answer), DT or WR. IF the Giants think that Butler will be a good starter for the next couple of years they use the remaining cap space to sign a veteran FS to back him up incase of injury or lapse in play.

2. IF the Giants decide that W. Allen or other comparable FA's are overvalued because of the thin market then it gets interesting. I think that the best (only?) option would be to draft the CB at #25 that they believe can start or has the best chance to start from day 1. IMO, a healthy Cromartie fits that description the best.

Since the Giants would then have some extra cash that they didnt spend on Allen I would hope that they have a few options in the FA market.

2b. With this extra money they could do the following. IF Butler is NOT the answer, they could sign the best Safety available and play Gibril at either FS or SS and use Butler as a backup. OR a more tempting option, IMO, would be to go after Rocky Bernard to give us one of the best Dlines in football.

This defenes would look like:

Strah, Willie, Rocky, Osi -- Tuck

Emmons, Pierce, Torbor -- Round 2 Pick

Cromartie, Webster -- Deloach, Will P, Mid-Late round pick

Gibril, Butler -- Mid round pick/Vet

That defense would be VERY young and could be phenomenal in 2-3 years.

Does this clarify my thoughts?

We don't need a stud CB in the draft

There is a decent chance that Will Allen will resign, if not we sign a solid veteran to replace him (maybe Deshea Townsend)

Alot will depend on Will Peterson, if he is healthy, we have no problem. If not, we will sign a solid free agent.

Corey Webster will be alot better with a season of development, he will be competeing for a start

Curtis Deloatch has talent and started alot of 2005, he is at least quality depth. EA has confidence he can be a good CB.

I think we are much better with talented developmental CB prospect like Will Blackmon (he ran a 4.46 at the combine) and addressing other needs early (such as DT, OLB, FS etc)

We don't need a stud CB in the draft

There is a decent chance that Will Allen will resign, if not we sign a solid veteran to replace him (maybe Deshea Townsend)

Alot will depend on Will Peterson, if he is healthy, we have no problem. If not, we will sign a solid free agent.

Corey Webster will be alot better with a season of development, he will be competeing for a start

Curtis Deloatch has talent and started alot of 2005, he is at least quality depth. EA has confidence he can be a good CB.

I think we are much better with talented developmental CB prospect like Will Blackmon (he ran a 4.46 at the combine) and addressing other needs early (such as DT, OLB, FS etc)

I agree completely. I was just bringing the idea up especially since its becoming increasingly likely that allen will leave for another team and we might have to pay above market value for a veteran corner. I dont see this happening though. I think in all the positions we will draft in round 1 are in this order: OLB, CB (whether we resign allen or not), DT, FS, WR.

With Clements franchised, the FA talent at CB is marginal at best. Also, because this is a below average FA class, a lot of players will end up getting overpaid. ILike everyone else, I don't like the idea of having to overpay for average talent.

My ideal scenario would be to resign Allen, allowing us to go LB or S in the first round. However, if Allen walks, which so many people seem to think he will, it would be tough to pass up someone like Cromartie in the first.

Guest Floyd The Barber

this guy sounds fit for a Giant uniform...

great season ended by career threatening injury...making a comeback, health is an issue...only the NYG's could be this fucking stupid again...

Cromartie ran a 4.49 40 time on a very fast surface at the combine. I wouldn't touch this kid with a ten foot pole in the 1st round. He's only started a few games in his career and has already had a serious injury. I like Tye Hill his fast and watching film on him he is very impressive. Always in good position, has good hands, and plays physical. If I were realistically tageting a corner that will fall to us at 25 I said we will be drafting Hill. I personally think that we should draft a OLB in the 1st and a CB in the second. There will still be some very good corners in the 2nd. Honestly the way Cromartie ran he may fall to the second. I would certainly take a chance on him in the second if he does slip.

Guest Floyd The Barber
His second 40 time was a 4.58. Can u say welcome to the second round. Not impressed at all.

exacatly...meet 2006's Corey Webster

Guest nosebleed
this guy sounds fit for a Giant uniform...

great season ended by career threatening injury...making a comeback, health is an issue...only the NYG's could be this fucking stupid again...

He can join Julian Peterson as this year's additional influx of questionable injury status, i.e. Emmons, Webster.

Edited by nosebleed

Guest Floyd The Barber

it wouldnt be a season without a few high priced, high picked players keeping Ronnie Barnes employed for the entire pre-season/season...

stay away from these pukes...

Guest nosebleed

That appears to be Ernie's vision, "Come one, come all, injuries are of no concern. If you are rebounding from a severe injury, you are my man. Hell, what does it matter if we can't field a team by week 10, you have raw potential."

Guest Floyd The Barber

he has a knack for selecting guys who even if they come back from injury are never no where near what they used to be, or guys coming out of college they have had to make position changes bc of how injuries have changed there potential...

That appears to be Ernie's vision, "Come one, come all, injuries are of no concern. If you are rebounding from a severe injury, you are my man. Hell, what does it matter if we can't field a team by week 10, you have raw potential."

Cromartie has much more than just raw potential. Prior to his injury he was arguably the best CB in college football. Obviously if he isnt healthy, I want to stay away but if he shows that hes returned to his old form he could definitely be worth a shot at 25.