SportsWrath

NFL rumors: Redskins’ Dwayne Haskins losing QB competition? Who’s No. 1 on depth chart?

Nas

Washington Redskins quarterback Dwayne Haskins Jr. was the No. 15 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

It was all good just a week ago.

Washington Redskins rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins has gotten lots of praise this offseason from head coach Jay Gruden, but he appears to be slipping a bit as we get deeper into training camp.

Veteran quarterback Colt McCoy tops the Redskins’ initial depth chart, released Sunday, with Case Keenum entrenched at No. 2 and the first-round pick Haskins slotted third.

“Colt’s got the most experience in the system, but he still hasn’t played a whole lot,” Gruden said, according to NBC Sports. “He hasn’t taken a lot of reps. Last year it was all about Alex [smith, the year before that it was all about Kirk [Cousins], and getting them ready. Case has all the reps, but he doesn’t have much experience in the system. He’s doing a nice job, and obviously Dwayne is a rookie. All three of them have shown flashes of being really good and really productive, and all three have shown flashes of, ‘Hey, we’ve got to get better.'”

Gruden doesn’t seem as if he expects much from a rookie quarterback, despite the promise Haskins has already shown this summer. He seems to prioritize experience over the upside Haskins brings.

For now, anyway.

Haskins will get the opportunity to change the pecking order throughout the remainder of camp. The question is, as the third quarterback on the depth chart, will he get enough reps to truly prove his worth?

In fairness to Haskins, he's coming from a one read system with audibles that came from the sideline, with only one year of significant playing time.... obviously a big adjustment phase is needed. Add in his physical limitations and I suspect a still-needed wake up call on preparing himself physically and its probably reasonable to expect he's at least two years away from being half decent.

As for where the depth chart would be at this point, I don't think it was that obvious..... 1st round pick, with no established starter in front of him? History says he should be starting.... but, it's also not the kiss of death if a vet is beating him out.

Definitely not a good sign that two journeymen are beating him out though.

In fairness to Haskins, he's coming from a one read system with audibles that came from the sideline, with only one year of significant playing time.... obviously a big adjustment phase is needed. Add in his physical limitations and I suspect a still-needed wake up call on preparing himself physically and its probably reasonable to expect he's at least two years away from being half decent.

As for where the depth chart would be at this point, I don't think it was that obvious..... 1st round pick, with no established starter in front of him? History says he should be starting.... but, it's also not the kiss of death if a vet is beating him out.

Sounds like someone stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

Yeah kinda of thought the Redskins would be giving him the RG3 treatment... will be interesting to see how long into the season that the ownership forces the coaching staff to him on the field.

Sounds like someone stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

more like someone was subjected to a lot of Ohio St. football, lol. Well not really during the season, but I did think he'd be the Giants pick and watched a ton of film on him after the season, his combine performance, his pro day, etc.

I think with one more year in college Haskins could have been special.... needed those reps, moreover, needed reps with the training wheels off, which he didn't get... OSU was literally calling in the QB's reads, audibles, line adjustments, everything from the sidelines. Haskins wasn't making his own reads pre-snap, he looked to the sideline, and the offensive staff had a system of hand signals and white board signs to tell Haskins what to do. And he made such great throws so regularly I still thought he might be the guy, but the tape was sure nowhere close to as good as his statistics.

What really talked me out of Haskins were two things, one, his poor physical condition at the combine, and then he was even chubbier at his later pro day. Dude was sweating like McNabb in the 4th Q of a close game. And then two, his family... is fucking weird. They think they're a brand, and they have this whole militant-upstanding thing going on which comes off as incredibly fake. I wouldn't trust them.

Yeah kinda of thought the Redskins would be giving him the RG3 treatment... will be interesting to see how long into the season that the ownership forces the coaching staff to him on the field.

I almost feel a little bad for Jay Gruden. I bet Haskins sees the field after the bye week, no later.