SportsWrath

Perry Fewell: Greatest Defensive Coordinator in the NFL Today

Tempest

I'm not going to say much else because I just wanted to see this sitting on top of the forum. Would love to hear from everyone and your first impression when seeing this thread.

Thank you and happy friday

:surf:

Perry Fewell is just awesome and the players know it too. They realize that their coordinator is going to get tapped to be a head coach again sometime soon so they play just hard enough so he can keep his job.

:flair:

#1 in INTs

Yeah, I don't see the problem. You have a defensive line that, talent-wise is one of the deepest in the league and a secondary that is decently deep, too. It's really not his fault that one position that has been focused on can't play up to their talent level and the other position was hit hard with injuries. In the days where the defense can breathe on a quarterback or wide receiver and give up anywhere from 15 yards for an unnecessary roughness to 50 yards for pass interference...or the dreaded 5 yard illegal contact and automatic first down....the most you can really hope for IS a bend but don't break offense. One that causes turnovers and holds teams to field goals. Fewell's defense does both pretty consistently despite playing below their talent level consistently.

I don't have a problem with his defense. I have a problem with an offense that keeps them on the field for 2/3s of the game. One that goes 3 and out, loses field position, and constantly puts them in tough positions in a league that already makes defense tough.

And when the "west coast offense" doesn't do anything with those turnover's, it's all Fewell's fault

Or holds the ball for a 1:30 and punts the ball. And then the special teams gives up a 30 yard return.

We were down 3 pts before Walton touched the ball. We were down 10 pts before he touched it a 5th time. 1 punt, 1 int the entire first half. Every other time the Eagles touched the ball, they scored points. Yeah, the offense wasn't doing their job, but I didn't see much getting done on the defense, either.

The losses have been group efforts, just like the wins. The thing is, there's far more talent on defense, and they're not playing in a new scheme. True special teams weren't helping matters; but they weren't responsible for all 35 points the first game, and had nothing to do with what the Eagles did to us.

They ran on us. They passed on us. We were reasonably healthy--or at least as healthy as we're going to get this year. And again, we're not able to stop a good offense, just like last year, and most of Fewell's time here.

#1 in INTs

For the money spent on the backfield, we fucking well better be high-ranked in pass defense, not just INTs. OOPS! We're 24th in passing yds. And that's after feasting on Kirk Cousins. So unless we get an int, they're throwing at will.

#24 in total yards/game: we're not getting off of the field. #17 in points/game: with 2 games with scores held to 14 and 17 points.

I'm not trying to be a jerk (it comes naturally), but I can't for the life of me understand how this defense is "ok." It has been given seasons to improve, it has had personnel improvements, and it is STILL mediocre at best.

For the money spent on the backfield, we fucking well better be high-ranked in pass defense, not just INTs. OOPS! We're 24th in passing yds. And that's after feasting on Kirk Cousins. So unless we get an int, they're throwing at will.

#24 in total yards/game: we're not getting off of the field. #17 in points/game: with 2 games with scores held to 14 and 17 points.

I'm not trying to be a jerk (it comes naturally), but I can't for the life of me understand how this defense is "ok." It has been given seasons to improve, it has had personnel improvements, and it is STILL mediocre at best.

Once again... :WS:

#1 in defended passes too. No one's "throwing at will" on them, they're just on the field all the damn time.

I don't think they're great or anything. As Stormy said they're under-performing, particularly the pass rush. Just pointing out there's SOME redeeming features. Jerk. :P

We were down 3 pts before Walton touched the ball. We were down 10 pts before he touched it a 5th time. 1 punt, 1 int the entire first half. Every other time the Eagles touched the ball, they scored points. Yeah, the offense wasn't doing their job, but I didn't see much getting done on the defense, either.

The losses have been group efforts, just like the wins. The thing is, there's far more talent on defense, and they're not playing in a new scheme. True special teams weren't helping matters; but they weren't responsible for all 35 points the first game, and had nothing to do with what the Eagles did to us.

They ran on us. They passed on us. We were reasonably healthy--or at least as healthy as we're going to get this year. And again, we're not able to stop a good offense, just like last year, and most of Fewell's time here.

Agreed....when your defense has you down 10 points right out of the gate, it puts pressure on your offense.

Down 20 points by the half.....thats bad defense.

Fewell doesnt attack enough plain and simple.